What was the literary tradition in Baraawe like?

Was reading an article and found this segment interesting
F3ED4C65-7C26-4EA8-AA0F-313EBAC4644C.jpeg

What was their education taught in (Arabic, Chimwi, Somali) and where can these manuscripts be found?
@Shimbiris @Hamzza @Garaad diinle

Last edited:

Garaad diinle

 
Was reading an article and found this segment interesting
View attachment 283248
What was their education taught in (Arabic, Chimwi, Somali) and where can these manuscripts be found?
@Shimbiris @Hamzza @Garaad diinle
Interesting. What's even more incredible is the high literacy rate in the city. Properly among the highest ones if not the highest on the somali coast. the chimini people or the bida often boosted on how they made barawe a great islamic centre as noted in the book bughyat al-aamaal fi taarikh al-sumaal.

Now what language did they use for education? I personally don't know but i imagine aside from arabic the language of the diin they were also teaching in both chimwini and somali too. Take for example uways al-barawi who wrote in all three languages. Although i imagine the bida wouldn't be taught af somali since they wouldn't need to learn it after all they don't travel in land and rather stay inside the city. I think some of manuscripts were handed to the somali museum and the rest is preserved by religious families in barawe much like mogadishu,

Interesting. What's even more incredible is the high literacy rate in the city. Properly among the highest ones if not the highest on the somali coast. the chimini people or the bida often boosted on how they made barawe a great islamic centre as noted in the book bughyat al-aamaal fi taarikh al-sumaal.

Now what language did they use for education? I personally don't know but i imagine aside from arabic the language of the diin they were also teaching in both chimwini and somali too. Take for example uways al-barawi who wrote in all three languages. Although i imagine the bida wouldn't be taught af somali since they wouldn't need to learn it after all they don't travel in land and rather stay inside the city. I think some of manuscripts were handed to the somali museum and the rest is preserved by religious families in barawe much like mogadishu,
Is there an English translation for bughyat al-aamaal?
Also I never understood as to why the chimini people were culturally Swahili despite being primarily asiatic, where would I be able to learn more about this :hmm:

Garaad diinle

 
Is there an English translation for bughyat al-aamaal?
I don't know, maybe there are. I only read the original arabic text but never looked for an english translation of it.

Also I never understood as to why the chimini people were culturally Swahili despite being primarily asiatic, where would I be able to learn more about this

Judging from linguistic evidence they appear to have come from the lamu archipelago and their closest linguistic kin's are the bajuuni people. They could very well be asiatic traders who've became swahilifide in the lamu archipelago and afterword's settled the somali coast. Also every foreigner who comes from the arabian coast or asia to settle in barawa usually joins the chimini people much like the hatimis who claim to have come from the al-andalus.

By the way the overall size of the chimini people historically speaking were very small, for example in the 1875 they were around 20% of the inhabitants of barawe meaning less than a thousand the rest being somalis.

COs0VTk.png

Biida clans weren't the only chimini speakers all Reer barawa spoke chimini this includes ashraaf clans,Hatimi,ooji ,yemenis like Omar Ba Omar and others and the urban tunnis .

Arabic and Chimiini were mainly used for education, af tunni was only spoken by tunni of the interior. Traders would usually know af tunni as they would be trading in places like sablaale and surrounding areas. Vast majority of manuscripts that still exist are within hands of families that descend from whoever wrote them , alshabab took part in destroying numerous manuscripts under their false guise of using the deen.

Literacy rate in barawa was definitely highest out of all banadiri towns.

Garaad diinle

 
Biida clans weren't the only chimini speakers all Reer barawa spoke chimini this includes ashraaf clans,Hatimi,ooji ,yemenis like Omar Ba Omar and others and the urban tunnis .

Arabic and Chimiini were mainly used for education, af tunni was only spoken by tunni of the interior. Traders would usually know af tunni as they would be trading in places like sablaale and surrounding areas. Vast majority of manuscripts that still exist are within hands of families that descend from whoever wrote them , alshabab took part in destroying numerous manuscripts under their false guise of using the deen.

Literacy rate in barawa was definitely highest out of all banadiri towns.
Are you from barawe?

I don't know, maybe there are. I only read the original arabic text but never looked for an english translation of it.

Judging from linguistic evidence they appear to have come from the lamu archipelago and their closest linguistic kin's are the bajuuni people. They could very well be asiatic traders who've became swahilifide in the lamu archipelago and afterword's settled the somali coast. Also every foreigner who comes from the arabian coast or asia to settle in barawa usually joins the chimini people much like the hatimis who claim to have come from the al-andalus.

By the way the overall size of the chimini people historically speaking were very small, for example in the 1875 they were around 20% of the inhabitants of barawe meaning less than a thousand the rest being somalis.

COs0VTk.png
Am glad they treated those Indians like that waa axmaqiin.

Trending