What it's like to have schizophrenia

Status
Not open for further replies.

VIP
Good thing you had a phone nearby. A friend of mine wears dental implants because a man with schizophrenia attacked him with a chair in a restaurant. He's in a lock down hospital for 5 years because of that. I feel sorry for schizophrenics, toughest illness to battle and they die younger than other people too.

At least white people are aware what schizophrenia is. Muslims will take you to the masjid for quran sar thinking you have a jiin.

At least white people are aware what schizophrenia is. Muslims will take you to the masjid for quran sar thinking you have a jiin.

Or tie you up and chain you. We have to change this backward mentality. I think the governments should make it a priority.

Sounds like the voices and/or hallucinations were making her laugh.

Somalis don't understand mental health problems, that's why you see people with physical health problems flown abroad for treatment and people with mental health problems tied up with chains and left to rot. Mentally ill require constant care just like someone who is paralysed would. They find it hard to cook, clean, bathe, watch TV, read etc because their senses have been hijacked by this disease.

They also left out tactile hallucinations,you can feel things that aren't there.
Yes, that makes sense, the hearing of voices. I would try to engage her in conversation and in the middle of a serious point I was making she would start to giggle, but then suppress it, as if she was embarrassed about it. When I asked her what she was giggling at, she would not say. I thought maybe she was mocking me, as if I had said something stupid that warranted laughter. The lack of an explanation did not help either.

I thought they heard only one voice. The video suggests it's multiple.

Tactile hallucinations? Never heard that. What kind of things you have in mind?

I just watched a movie somewhat about this. Its called a "A beautiful mind" its about some mathematician called John Nash. I don't wanna spoil it but Schizophrenia had a big part to do with it. I recommend it, it was a good watch :nvjpqts:
Have seen this movie starring Kurt Russell on reruns, but never sat down to watch it. Any good? I was intrigued by the title. Reminds me of Tim Peake, the idiot savant.

Yes, that makes sense, the hearing of voices. I would try to engage her in conversation and in the middle of a serious point I was making she would start to giggle, but then suppress it, as if she was embarrassed about it. When I asked her what she was giggling at, she would not say. I thought maybe she was mocking me, as if I had said something stupid that warranted laughter. The lack of an explanation did not help either.

I thought they heard only one voice. The video suggests it's multiple.

Tactile hallucinations? Never heard that. What kind of things you have in mind?

Yes the voices can say funny things, and hallucinations can do funny things. It's all very intimate, it's like they know what makes you laugh or cry or feel suicidal even. It has nothing to do with what you said, I'd be surprised if she could even hear you properly.

Some people only hear one voice, like their mother for instance and some people only hear two or three and some people can hear many more. This illness is unique to the sufferer.

Tactile hallucinations are feeling things that aren't there. Some people might feel being stroked, burned or a common one is bugs crawling inside their skin.

Yes the voices can say funny things, and hallucinations can do funny things. It's all very intimate, it's like they know what makes you laugh or cry or feel suicidal even. It has nothing to do with what you said, I'd be surprised if she could even hear you properly.

Some people only hear one voice, like their mother for instance and some people only hear two or three and some people can hear many more. This illness is unique to the sufferer.

Tactile hallucinations are feeling things that aren't there. Some people might feel being stroked, burned or a common one is bugs crawling inside their skin.
Good point. Must be hard to follow someone's conversation if you can hear other voices talking at the same time.

I wonder if the tactile stuff is why she was accident prone. Always bumping against things. Rough disease.

I thought the visual disorders portrayed in the vid was pretty neat. Looked like a distortion in one's color perception, an interference in the lightwaves.

There was some cretinous wadaad telling people that autism was caused by Jinns. A Somali guy misleading qaxootis to boot. Now that's what you call a mentally diseased man. The cure for that is pretty straightforward: hang that fucker.

There's no such thing as jinn possession. That's the kind of unscientific thinking which perpetuates the suffering of the mentally ill. If medical science won't convince you, listen to this scholar:

:mindblown: There is such thing as jinn possession saaxiib not every case is someone with a mental illness

The movie is really great you should check it out @Shamis

I'm a huge fan of horror and thriller but this video totally creeped me out, voices in your head interfering with your everyday living. I can't imagine having to deal with that. :frdfvsb:

Kim Peek*
It's also slightly rude to refer to someone as an idiot.
Sorry, I got his name muddled with the astronaught.

No, I wasn't being rude. That's the term for gifted people - idiot savants. It's not a term of disrespect. Google it. I love Peek too much to disrespect him. He was a great man. So was his devoted father. Have you seen the documentary on them? There is also another guy who could learn a new language a day and could do all sorts of mathematical prodigies. He suffered from synesthesia, which is the coolest disorder in the world. I forget his name.

If good exist there's also evil aboowe. Possessions are rare but not out of reach
Of course there is evil my carrot cake, but what's that gotta do with Iblees climbing into your beautiful body? Iblees doesn't have breasts. He wouldn't know how to walk in high heels.

Watch that video I posted. The sheikh explains why it is bunk. There's a whole sura in the Quran about Jinns. Why would Allah not tell us about so important a thing?

Sorry, I got his name muddled with the astronaught.

No, I wasn't being rude. That's the term for gifted people - idiot savants. It's not a term of disrespect. Google it. I love Peek too much to disrespect him. He was a great man. So was his devoted father. Have you seen the documentary on them?
oh I see. Well I'm very sorry, I thought you were mocking him.

There is also another guy who could learn a new language a day and could do all sorts of mathematical prodigies. He suffered from synesthesia, which is the coolest disorder in the world. I forget his name.

You're probably thinking of this guy, Daniel Tammet. He's a high functioning autistic savant, which surprisingly correlates positively with synesthesia.

oh I see. Well I'm very sorry, I thought you were mocking him.

You're probably thinking of this guy, Daniel Tammet. He's a high functioning autistic savant, which surprisingly correlates positively with synesthesia.
Yeah, that's the nigga. I saw a doc on him. Very good it was. At first the scientists were skeptical of his mental powers. He claimed to be able to calculate any mathematical puzzle at lightening speed and to perceive numbers as colors and shapes. So they put him through a battery of psychological tests and tried to trip him up. Dude passed with flying colors, no pun intended. Then they made him learn Icelandic, which is one of the hardest languages in the world, in just a few days from scratch and dude was having complex conversations in Icelandic on national television within 48 years.

My fave savant (no idiot) was a young black dude who could draw complex architectural structures like skyscrapers with exact precision and down to the smallest details after just looking at it just once for a few seconds. He made these beautiful real to life drawings out of it. He had a photographic memory. He may have been in the same documentary.

My fave savant (no idiot) was a young black dude who could draw complex architectural structures like skyscrapers with exact precision and down to the smallest details after just looking at it just once for a few seconds. He made these beautiful real to life drawings our of it. He had a photographic memory.
He drew all of New York city with his memory, I remember that guy! This was before I knew what savant syndrome even was and man, I felt so untalented compared to him:wow:

He drew all of New York city with his memory, I remember that guy! This was before I knew what savant syndrome even was and man, I felt so untalented compared to him:wow:
He drew all of NY city? Goddamn, the negrotarians don't play.
Got a link?

What was the kid's name anyway? I have to chill with the homey. Can teach me a thing or two about the life artistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.