What is your go to Somali Bariis Recipe

Hodan from HR

Be Kind Online.
Staff Member
My bariis game has been topnotch since I started following Ilhan's recipe. I've put my own spin, no food coloring or tomatoes and sometimes I replace the raisins with dried cranberries.

Aniiga honestly abaayo I absoutley hate raisins and cranberries. I can’t understand the obsession behind it. But for my bariis it depends on the day. It could be white rice so maaha? Or it can be party rice. There’s no secret to bariis. It’s whatever you mix up and match! Anyone else here love salar? Nothing makes bariis better than well done salad:icon lol:

Hodan from HR

Be Kind Online.
Staff Member
Aniiga honestly abaayo I absoutley hate raisins and cranberries. I can’t understand the obsession behind it. But for my bariis it depends on the day. It could be white rice so maaha? Or it can be party rice. There’s no secret to bariis. It’s whatever you mix up and match! Anyone else here love salar? Nothing makes bariis better than well done salad:icon lol:

Sharafey, for some reason, I like my bariis sweet and savory 😅

The white bariis usually has stew. I think this one is called isku karis? Oh the salar and bisbas shidni :eating:

I've only made bariis once in my life and it taste better than your Hooyo's bariis and Quruxlow's bariis COMBINED.

Hodan from HR

Be Kind Online.
Staff Member
I can tolerate sabiibta laakin cranberries?

Whats your favorite maraq recipe abaayo? :eating:

Lately, I prefer oven baking a bunch of veggies to eat with my white rice but when it was my turn to cook at home, this use to be my go to maraq recipe. Replace the chicken with hilib ari

Mercury

Ha igu daalinee dantaada raac
VIP
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 onions chopped
1 tomato
4 garlic cloves
1 cinnamon stick
1 tsp xawaash
1tsp cardamom
1 jumbo chicken stock
2 tbsp vegetable seasoning
2 cups basmati rice (soaked)
2 1/2 cup water (boiling hot)

btw cardamom pods in bariis it should be crushed in my opinion I hate eating bariis and biting into these
81j0ZWKUo0L._SL1500_.jpg