What is stopping the Somali diaspora from voting right wing

And those economic reasons and lower taxes benefit who and disadvantage who?

Hey Siri, what is structural racism?

:kanyehmm:

I don't understand how some people can be so willfully blind to their real interests and real threats in the West; a rightward shift in the Overton window would be disastrous for migrants.

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
I don't understand how some people can be so willfully blind to their real interests and real threats in the West; a rightward shift in the Overton window would be disastrous for migrants.

The average Somali forum user thinks that they are a white man in American.

That's primarily because one cannot look in the mirror when using the internet.

:hayewaryah:

Aurelian

Forza Somalia!
VIP
Do you know that you can have a conservative values while still voting left. Just look after you family and everything will be fine

Calaf

Veni Vidi Vici
2022 CHESS CHAMP
GENERALISSIMO
VIP
So y'all telling me you don't vote right wing already?

giphy.gif

Apollo

VIP

In all honestly, I think center-right parties are the best for Somalis in the West. They would stop the rampant welfare fraud among Somalis and get them to work.

The only big downside is that they close borders and stop immigration, but you also got some libertarian rightwing parties that are rightwing and like open borders, albeit they are rare.

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
In all honestly, I think center-right parties are the best for Somalis in the West. They would stop the rampant welfare fraud among Somalis and get them to work.

The only big downside is that they close borders and stop immigration, but you also got some libertarian rightwing parties that are rightwing and like open borders, albeit they are rare.

I get the tough love argument with centre-right parties.

However, increasing welfare in a country is also a surefire way to increase GDP. As most welfare recipients spend what they have, that will increase consumption in the country as well as government spending, which are both key components of how GDP growth is measured.

TLDR: Welfare Somalis help the Western economy.

It’s crazy how hard they’re losing the social wars, 8 years ago they were anti-gay/trans, today they support Caitlyn Jenner and gay conservative but they will never support muslims or blacks (blacks is debatable).
They do support Black people, many of the people who are voting republicans were the young people who participated in the civil rights movement. But at the time, the democratic party of the 1960's was exactly like the republican party today, because there's a shift towards the left.
Look at the amount of black republicans.
I do not agree with all of their points, but I wouldn't say that it's a racist party.
And yeah, we cannot deny the fact that they have a negative opinion of muslims and Islam but they don't even talk about islam in right wing media, the muslim population is less than 1% so it's unlikely that they create anti muslim policies.

You know conservatives are against welfare so that is your answer why somalis will not vote rightwing :mjlaugh: :mjdontkno:

I can't understand how people who immigrated 30 years ago, in a country with a good economy full of jobs still rely on welfare in 2021.

However, increasing welfare in a country is also a surefire way to increase GDP. As most welfare recipients spend what they have, that will increase consumption in the country as well as government spending, which are both key components of how GDP growth is measured.

Wake up, get a job and you won't need welfare (And if you work, low taxes work in your favour).

Nobody is denying that Welfare is needed, but there's only a certain amount that we have to give. If we give too much welfare to people, they will be lazier. We need it to be high enough so that people could live with it and low enough so that people won't plan to live for the rest of their life with welfare.
What increases gdp is the amount of people who work for company and others who create companies, not people who get money for free.

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
Wake up, get a job and you won't need welfare (And if you work, low taxes work in your favour).

Nobody is denying that Welfare is needed, but there's only a certain amount that we have to give. If we give too much welfare to people, they will be lazier. We need it to be high enough so that people could live with it and low enough so that people won't plan to live for the rest of their life with welfare.
What increases gdp is the amount of people who work for company and others who create companies, not people who get money for free.

Honest question walaal, don't take this to heart.

How old are you? and if you are in or past university age, what did you study?

I just want to tailor my response properly.

Honest question walaal, don't take this to heart.

How old are you? and if you are in or past university age, what did you study?

I just want to tailor my response properly.
23 years old.
Studied IT, but a lot of interest in geopolitics and economics for a few years now (I read books and debate with friends that have similar interests).

mr steal your naag

banu hashim and shiettt
VIP
They do support Black people, many of the people who are voting republicans were the young people who participated in the civil rights movement. But at the time, the democratic party of the 1960's was exactly like the republican party today, because there's a shift towards the left.
Look at the amount of black republicans.
I do not agree with all of their points, but I wouldn't say that it's a racist party.
And yeah, we cannot deny the fact that they have a negative opinion of muslims and Islam but they don't even talk about islam in right wing media, the muslim population is less than 1% so it's unlikely that they create anti muslim policies.

I can't understand how people who immigrated 30 years ago, in a country with a good economy full of jobs still rely on welfare in 2021.
Its the laziness in our culture. Ethiopians dont have that lazy culture thats ehy you never catch 9 Ethiopians sitting in a restaurant talking about shit all day :mjdontkno:

Apollo

VIP

It destroys work ethic in communities and also leads to all kinds of bad intergenerational behavior. While I am not a social scientist, there are many studies out there that point to destructive intergenerational effects on communities/families where welfare dependency is high.

I worry for Western diaspora Somalis because of this. I honestly don't think leftwing parties are in the best interest of diaspora Somalis long term, only short term.

Its the laziness in our culture. Ethiopians dont have that lazy culture thats ehy you never catch 9 Ethiopians sitting in a restaurant talking about shit all day :mjdontkno:
a fast food restaurant right next to my house just put a poster outside of it that read "no dining inside for more than 30 minutes".
And then a few meters away I saw a group of Somali Oday speaking about politics and clans.
Guess why. :snoop:

Apollo

VIP
PS: For those who live in the old continent (Europe) it's true that conservatives still criticize Islam, but in North America they kinda forgot about it...

The center-right ones don't. Only the far-right still do.

In most European countries what is the Republican party in the US is like two to four different parties, same with what would be considered the Democrats (the Ocasio-Cortez/Ilhan wing and the Hillary wing are separate parties).

The center-right ones don't. Only the far-right still do.

In most European countries what is the Republican party in the US is like two to four different parties, same with what would be considered the Democrats (the Ocasio-Cortez/Ilhan wing and the Hillary wing are separate parties).
Yeah I was essentially talking about the center right when I made this post.
But some people believe that I support Trump and his gang. :snoop:
But yeah the republican party, is like a combination of 4 political parties (christian evangelist, white supremacist, moderate conservatives, businessmen who want lower taxes).
and most of these groups do not even get along.

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
23 years old.
Studied IT, but a lot of interest in geopolitics and economics for a few years now (I read books and debate with friends that have similar interests).

Firstly, getting a job does not guarantee that you will not be better off without welfare. For example, the minimum wage in America is less than $10 USD per hour, which cannot sustain oneself let alone a partner or family. Even in welfare nations like Australia, the lower working echelon find it difficult to live with their salary. Welfare is supposed to protect people from poverty.

Secondly, the conservative model of lower taxes do not work for the common man, be it a working class individual or the middle class family. The London School of Economics, which is actually the university that Hayek (founding father of anti-Keynesian economics) attended released a comprehensive study on how trickle-down economics does not work.

As for your points about welfare, it is impossible to strike that balance. The only thing one can do is make a level of comfortable welfare but force welfare recipients to actively search for jobs that is at the same pay level of the welfare payments.

As for your points regarding GDP growth, let me ask you this:

Why do governments (left or right wing) implement cash bonuses to people during economic catastrophes, especially during this pandemic?

In Australia and the US, both conservative governments increased the amount of welfare an individual got during the coronavirus pandemic. In fact, some welfare recipients, if not the majority received payments well above minimum wage.

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
It destroys work ethic in communities and also leads to all kinds of bad intergenerational behavior. While I am not a social scientist, there are many studies out there that point to destructive intergenerational effects on communities/families where welfare dependency is high.

I worry for Western diaspora Somalis because of this. I honestly don't think leftwing parties are in the best interest of diaspora Somalis long term, only short term.

Welfare should be high but at the same time, one should implement job seeker policies, essentially forcing welfare recipients to actively search for jobs as well as providing skills training to welfare recipients who do not have employable skills or need sharpening.

Trending