What is Somali culture really?

al-Mu'tamid المعتمد

عِشْ مَا شِئْتَ فَإِنَّكَ مَيِّتٌ
As the title states what does the term "Somali culture" really mean? It is often wielded by nationalistic individuals to emphasize the uniqueness of their community. It is a multifaceted concept encapsulating various aspects. A term explained not coined by the British Quaker Tylor who said:

"Culture or Civilization, taken in its wide ethnographic sense, is that complex whole which includes knowledge, belief, art, morals, law, custom, and any other capabilities and habits acquired by man as a member of society."

Examining Tylor's definition, it becomes evident that Islam dominates this term in "almost" all aspects. Our belief is Islam and so is our morals and our laws and customs such as how we marry and bury our dead. Daily activities almost always revolve around adhering to the Sunnah of the Prophet, adhering to Adl (Justice) and Ihsaan (Perfection).

First and foremost anything that is proven to be Haram is and should be removed from our daily live such as music as long as it does not contain instruments and promote evil. If we then examine each element defind by these westerners I find that we are not really unique.

In examining clothing, most of us men tend to wear Western clothing, as many of us live in Western countries, and even back home, people wear Western-style clothing to some extent. Additionally, some individuals may wear traditional garments like the thobe, which has Arabic influences, or the Macawiis, originating from the Far East in Asia.

When it comes to architecture, it is apparent that the buildings are predominantly designed in Western or Middle Eastern styles, and even our traditional huts lack uniqueness. Our cuisine is largely influenced by neighboring cultures and colonizers. Staples such as Rice, Baasto, Anjeero (Lahoh), Shah, and others have been borrowed from various regions and cultures.

Looking into this, and considering even more aspects, I have concluded that we are not fundamentally different from anyone else, except in two aspects: language and ethnicity. Therefore, when encountering a nationalistic sentiment in Somalia that expresses contempt for anything foreign and advocates for a strict adherence to culture, I find myself asking myself "What part?".

Oh god, another ana arab thread.
Come On Please GIF by NBA

It is an extension of south Yemeni culture for the most part. From our clothes, to our customs, to our foods, to our religious creed, and even our mannerisms. Especially in the North (SL, PL)

Celery

Vasodilator
VIP
Islam, banana served with everything, xeer customary law, clans, Arab affinity and camels.

Yami

4th Emir of the Akh Right Movement
This could be said about literally every culture that isn't some uncontacted Hunter Gatherer tribe. Humans influence each other

Emir of Zayla

𝕹𝖆𝖙𝖎𝖔𝖓 𝖔𝖋 𝕻𝖔𝖊𝖙𝖘
It is an extension of south Yemeni culture for the most part. From our clothes, to our customs, to our foods, to our religious creed, and even our mannerisms. Especially in the North (SL, PL)
Similarities between neighbors does not mean that we’re an extension of them. Would you say the same for the Habesha’s whose entire culture descends from Yemenis? The Horn and Arabia have had millenias of contact, migrations and shared history together so to say that one comes from the other is ridiculous

Khaemwaset

Djiboutian 🇩🇯 | 𐒖𐒆𐒄A𐒗𐒃 🇸🇴
VIP
This could be said about literally every culture that isn't some uncontacted Hunter Gatherer tribe. Humans influence each other
These niggas can't wrap their head around the fact that Somalis got influenced like literally every group of humans.

Yami

4th Emir of the Akh Right Movement
These niggas can't wrap their head around the fact that Somalis got influenced like literally every group of humans.
I'd remember to say that Somalia was literally apart of the Silk Road but half of this forum likes to believe that Somalis had nothing to do with their own countries history. :heh:

Emir of Zayla

𝕹𝖆𝖙𝖎𝖔𝖓 𝖔𝖋 𝕻𝖔𝖊𝖙𝖘
As the title states what does the term "Somali culture" really mean? It is often wielded by nationalistic individuals to emphasize the uniqueness of their community. It is a multifaceted concept encapsulating various aspects. A term explained not coined by the British Quaker Tylor who said:

Examining Tylor's definition, it becomes evident that Islam dominates this term in "almost" all aspects. Our belief is Islam and so is our morals and our laws and customs such as how we marry and bury our dead. Daily activities almost always revolve around adhering to the Sunnah of the Prophet, adhering to Adl (Justice) and Ihsaan (Perfection).

First and foremost anything that is proven to be Haram is and should be removed from our daily live such as music as long as it does not contain instruments and promote evil. If we then examine each element defind by these westerners I find that we are not really unique.

In examining clothing, most of us men tend to wear Western clothing, as many of us live in Western countries, and even back home, people wear Western-style clothing to some extent. Additionally, some individuals may wear traditional garments like the thobe, which has Arabic influences, or the Macawiis, originating from the Far East in Asia.

When it comes to architecture, it is apparent that the buildings are predominantly designed in Western or Middle Eastern styles, and even our traditional huts lack uniqueness. Our cuisine is largely influenced by neighboring cultures and colonizers. Staples such as Rice, Baasto, Anjeero (Lahoh), Shah, and others have been borrowed from various regions and cultures.

Looking into this, and considering even more aspects, I have concluded that we are not fundamentally different from anyone else, except in two aspects: language and ethnicity. Therefore, when encountering a nationalistic sentiment in Somalia that expresses contempt for anything foreign and advocates for a strict adherence to culture, I find myself asking myself "What part?".
Culture can’t be explained in just a few words but it goes far deeper than just cuisine, dress, religion. You have to go deep within it, tho I did notice a few inaccuracies in what you wrote.

Our cuisine isn’t ripped off from our neighbors, Anjeero is native and rice is basically what almost every human eats, and almost every culture drinks tea so it’s not ripped off.

As for our clothing, I will admit since the latter 20th century Somalis have been abandoning their garments in favor of Islamic/Arab ones but a cultural revolution can easily be brought and such things can return due to how widely social media is used amongst Somalis, it’s simply a matter of time.

In regards to the matter of Architecture as you said, our architecture would obviously have elements of Middle Eastern/Indian styles due to trade with these two regions for thousands of years, to assume otherwise would be stupid. But that doesn’t mean that our architecture isn’t original, somali-islamic architecture has our own elements and styles mixed in with it that can be found from the northern tip of Zeila all the way down south to Merka.

You’re just trying to find foreign elements in our culture to try and claim that our culture isn’t native, this post is pathetic.

Similarities between neighbors does not mean that we’re an extension of them. Would you say the same for the Habesha’s whose entire culture descends from Yemenis? The Horn and Arabia have had millenias of contact, migrations and shared history together so to say that one comes from the other is ridiculous
Habesha culture is completely south Arabian Semitic. Even the Ge’ez script they use originated in south Arabia. On the other hand, Somalis are more influenced by Adeni customs and there is nothing wrong with that. We have also influenced them a bit linguistically like you suggested, the Somali word “Qurac” or breakfast is used in Adeni Arabic. There is nothing wrong with being an extension of Yemen however, we are brothers.

Emir of Zayla

𝕹𝖆𝖙𝖎𝖔𝖓 𝖔𝖋 𝕻𝖔𝖊𝖙𝖘
Habesha culture is completely south Arabian Semitic. Even the Ge’ez script they use originated in south Arabia. On the other hand, Somalis are more influenced by Adeni customs and there is nothing wrong with that. We have also influenced them a bit linguistically like you suggested, the Somali word “Qurac” or breakfast is used in Adeni Arabic. There is nothing wrong with being an extension of Yemen however, we are brothers.
That isn’t being an extension of others but just cultural diffusion going both ways.

Three Moons

Give Dhul-Suwayqatayn not an inch of the Sea!

I guess Yemen is just an extension of the Somali peninsula and the Indonesian archipelago since their coffee culture, khat culture, sarong attire, Dirac, etc all came from the Horn and Southeast Asia? This is why Ana Arabs are so dangerous, the subservience you guys keep falling into like clockwork is astonishing. There were more Somali settlers in Yemen than the other way around historically, if a Somali cultural researcher were to focus on things attributable to us, he or she would probably find a ton of things to point out, but nobody has ever bothered to do this.

The most important fact is that; we have our own lands, our own language, our own history, our own traditions, our own customary laws, our own cultural characteristics and when it comes to our religious school of thought, you should be reminded that we share this with half of Egypt and 300+ Muslims in South East Asia, where the largest Muslim country in the world is located, so its not just a commonality we share with Yemen;

0114E779-7E04-4F5C-A8E9-DDF59C79487C.png

al-Mu'tamid المعتمد

Culture can’t be explained in just a few words but it goes far deeper than just cuisine, dress, religion. You have to go deep within it, tho I did notice a few inaccuracies in what you wrote.

Our cuisine isn’t ripped off from our neighbors, Anjeero is native and rice is basically what almost every human eats, and almost every culture drinks tea so it’s not ripped off.

As for our clothing, I will admit since the latter 20th century Somalis have been abandoning their garments in favor of Islamic/Arab ones but a cultural revolution can easily be brought and such things can return due to how widely social media is used amongst Somalis, it’s simply a matter of time.

In regards to the matter of Architecture as you said, our architecture would obviously have elements of Middle Eastern/Indian styles due to trade with these two regions for thousands of years, to assume otherwise would be stupid. But that doesn’t mean that our architecture isn’t original, somali-islamic architecture has our own elements and styles mixed in with it that can be found from the northern tip of Zeila all the way down south to Merka.

You’re just trying to find foreign elements in our culture to try and claim that our culture isn’t native, this post is pathetic.
Firstly, anjeero is not native, and Somalis are not traditionally farmers who grow wheat. Your statement seems to support my point when you mention that everyone eats rice and tea and builds Islamic architecture. I'll wait until you can demonstrate something unique about us, excluding the two things I mentioned. And don't mention something that is makruh or haram.

Emir of Zayla

𝕹𝖆𝖙𝖎𝖔𝖓 𝖔𝖋 𝕻𝖔𝖊𝖙𝖘
Firstly, anjeero is not native, and Somalis are not traditionally farmers who grow wheat.
Then where did anjeero come from? I can already guess you’re gonna say Yemen, people like you are so predictable, you have no proof that it’s foreign and are just attributing our cuisine to unrelated countries.
Your statement seems to support my point when you mention that everyone eats rice and tea and builds Islamic architecture.
Almost every single civilization grew rice without exception and tea originally came from China which spread through trade, I don’t think I said it was native but almost every culture drinks it so it doesn’t really matter.

Engaging in a discussion with Ana Arabs like you always end up fruitless, it’s predictable and kinda a waste of time

Last edited:

al-Mu'tamid المعتمد

Then where did anjeero come from? I can already guess you’re gonna say Yemen, people like you are so predictable, you have no proof that it’s foreign and are just attributing our cuisine to unrelated countries.
Allah knows where it comes from, but you have no proof that it is native to Somalia. How are you going to claim that when your forefathers and mine were only herding cattle?
Engaging in a discussion with Ana Arabs like you always end up fruitless, it’s predictable and kinda a waste of time
You still haven't given me something unique, though. I am waiting. Also, how am I ana Arab? I'm literally Somali 😂. Let's make this fruitful instead.

Emir of Zayla

𝕹𝖆𝖙𝖎𝖔𝖓 𝖔𝖋 𝕻𝖔𝖊𝖙𝖘
Allah knows where it comes from, but you have no proof that it is native to Somalia. How are you going to claim that when your forefathers and mine were only herding cattle?
You do know that Somalis farmed all over Somaliweyn yes? From the North SL all the way down south in Lower Juba and upstream the major rivers of the region up to Hararghe. If we didn’t make Anjeero then who did?

al-Mu'tamid المعتمد

You do know that Somalis farmed all over Somaliweyn yes? From the North SL all the way down south in Lower Juba and upstream the major rivers of the region up to Hararghe. If we didn’t make Anjeero then who did?
1702776385116.png

I personally have family who have land, and none of them work with grain. Infact Somalia tried to produce grain in the north.
1702776797700.png

As I said I don't know who came up with anjeero. It could be anyone as long as they had good arable land with sufficient rain and knew it's practices. Even in the south they tend to care more for fruits because it's more secure to do so.
1702777045428.png

I suggest you see for yourself in Somali shops what kind of flour they tend to sell and where it's from.

Trending