What is life like for Somali Australians?

Aseer

A man without a 🐫 won't be praised in afterlife
VIP
The somalis In Australia although majority well mannered and quiet our community is not as strong as the others since we mainly keep to ourselves and our tiny community bubbles.

Aseer

VIP
I was only there for one year so take it with a grain of salt. Finding a job is easy and minimum wage is one of the highest in the world although cost of living is quite high. Housing is quite cheap, the Somali neighbourhood is Footscray and it has a decent amount of Somali shops and restaurants. What I observed was the community is not as close knit as other diaspora. It's a nice city if you want a peaceful life.
I have been to footscray it's a cool place but yeah we aren't all close knit.

Aseer

VIP
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Tbh I think Australia is one of the least racist and xenophobic to Somalis your right about the passive aggressiveness but it is very rare for it to happen also another factor to add with the culture and all is thay whites themselves were immigrants and we all have a shared dislike of aboriginals call me racist but it's the truth. :mjlol:

Gacmeey

Madaxweynaha Qurbo Joogta 🇸🇴
I live in Melb, the Minnesota of Australia. Most Somalis here live in the suburb of heidelberg where they have a mall they dominate but you’ll find Somali in other suburbs like Epping,Broadmeadows pr if you want something closer to the CBD (downtown) places like Flemington, Carlton and Fitzroy have Somalis too.

Finding a min wage job particularly in hospitality, retail and fast food is pretty easy but housing is currently a shitshow unless you are okay with living in the outer suburbs. Having a car will make travelling around easier but trains/trams and buses are pretty good so it’s not necessary

Racism is subtle and harmless tbh although we have had nazis pop up here and there but otherwise it’s very unlikely you’ll encounter ever from normal people.

Connecting with Somalis is easy if you go to events like Somali week etc. Even though we are 4000 in a city of 6 million but somehow you’ll always run into a Somali

Here’s some videos of the queues at house inspections for rentals

I thought you were from America all this time. Your from Australia??? and my cousins live in Sydney and they move it there. They rarely go on holidays.

Aseer

VIP
Is it tho? I avoid the citylink and eastlink like the plague so they don’t hit me with that 14 dollar invoice
I don't live there but I went holiday as a kid but I don't think they do that.

Tbh I think Australia is one of the least racist and xenophobic to Somalis your right about the passive aggressiveness but it is very rare for it to happen also another factor to add with the culture and all is thay whites themselves were immigrants
Exactly, even Aussies with English origins don't talk much sh*t because they know their ancestors were broke ass convicts with nothing to their name.

Yeah, we generally have it much better than other white nations but I still think it's worth noting how white people here operate so we can avoid their traps in the unlikely event they do try something.

we all have a shared dislike of aboriginals call me racist but it's the truth. :mjlol:
Whos We GIF by League of Legends

Tbh I think Australia is one of the least racist and xenophobic to Somalis your right about the passive aggressiveness but it is very rare for it to happen also another factor to add with the culture and all is thay whites themselves were immigrants and we all have a shared dislike of aboriginals call me racist but it's the truth. :mjlol:
tell me how are the aboriginals like sxb? are they miskeen

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

What’s it like finding a job and housing? Also where are the Somali majority neighborhoods or areas in Melbourne? I’d like to stay wherever the community is
You need to land a job before you’re even granted a working visa. What makes you think you can just come and then look for a job?

Kisame

Plotting world domination
I live in Melb, the Minnesota of Australia. Most Somalis here live in the suburb of heidelberg where they have a mall they dominate but you’ll find Somali in other suburbs like Epping,Broadmeadows pr if you want something closer to the CBD (downtown) places like Flemington, Carlton and Fitzroy have Somalis too.

Finding a min wage job particularly in hospitality, retail and fast food is pretty easy but housing is currently a shitshow unless you are okay with living in the outer suburbs. Having a car will make travelling around easier but trains/trams and buses are pretty good so it’s not necessary

Racism is subtle and harmless tbh although we have had nazis pop up here and there but otherwise it’s very unlikely you’ll encounter ever from normal people.

Connecting with Somalis is easy if you go to events like Somali week etc. Even though we are 4000 in a city of 6 million but somehow you’ll always run into a Somali

Here’s some videos of the queues at house inspections for rentals

Exactly, even Aussies with English origins don't talk much sh*t because they know their ancestors were broke ass convicts with nothing to their name.

Yeah, we generally have it much better than other white nations but I still think it's worth noting how white people here operate so we can avoid their traps in the unlikely event they do try something.

Question: do Americans or western Europeans move to Australia often??

Also wikipedia says you guys have a small population in the entire country. Like less than 20k. Y'all will probably become white washed and be absorbed amongst the ajnabis quicker than us Americans and Europeans.

Aseer

VIP

Also wikipedia says you guys have a small population in the entire country. Like less than 20k. Y'all will probably become white washed and be absorbed amongst the ajnabis quicker than us Americans and Europeans.
Yeah that's the sad thing I already see the 3rd generation of Somalis here not able to speak their language at all and the 2nd language being very shaky in the language not to mention you are right that we are rapidly getting absorbed and integrated into Australian society quicker.

Yeah that's the sad thing I already see the 3rd generation of Somalis here not able to speak their language at all and the 2nd language being very shaky in the language not to mention you are right that we are rapidly getting absorbed and integrated into Australian society quicker.
What’s the process like in coming there from America

Gacmeey

Madaxweynaha Qurbo Joogta 🇸🇴

Yeah lots of Americans and western euros coming here mostly backpackers that stay for a year or two but recently there has been a lot of British workers moving to Australia to seek greener pastures particularly in the healthcare industry.

As for becoming white washed, yeah it’s inevitable. Especially since we are so far away. However, I don’t think we will lose our deen in the same way we will lose our culture. The arab/eastern European Muslim immigrants that came here in the mid 20th century really set up a rock solid foundation with good infrastructure for a Muslim community to thrive. Here is yasir qadhi giving a summary

Trending

Latest posts