What is life like for Somali Australians?

I’m thinking of going there for a working holiday so I just wanted to know where the Somalis are, what cities/neighborhoods are the majority of Somalis at? If there’s any jobs available (basic minimum wage) ? And how the racism climate is there. Also how is it like connecting with other Somalis since there are so few who live there?

Last edited:
I’m from australia pretty normal if you go Melbourne a lot of things are pretty much halal there thank to the lebs. If you want quality food start visiting them middle eastern or Afghani kebab stores wallahi you won’t be dissapointed . Don’t rely on transperth get yourself a rental car .

I’m from australia pretty normal if you go Melbourne a lot of things are pretty much halal there thank to the lebs. If you want quality food start visiting them middle eastern or Afghani kebab stores wallahi you won’t be dissapointed . Don’t rely on transperth get yourself a rental car .
That's Perth only. I'd be inclined to say the transport in Melbourne is pretty good. It's a big city with 5+ million people and a lot of Somalis.

That's Perth only. I'd be inclined to say the transport in Melbourne is pretty good. It's a big city with 5+ million people and a lot of Somalis.
What’s it like finding a job and housing? Also where are the Somali majority neighborhoods or areas in Melbourne? I’d like to stay wherever the community is

What’s it like finding a job and housing? Also where are the Somali majority neighborhoods or areas in Melbourne? I’d like to stay wherever the community is
I was only there for one year so take it with a grain of salt. Finding a job is easy and minimum wage is one of the highest in the world although cost of living is quite high. Housing is quite cheap, the Somali neighbourhood is Footscray and it has a decent amount of Somali shops and restaurants. What I observed was the community is not as close knit as other diaspora. It's a nice city if you want a peaceful life.

Last edited:
I’m from perth only been there a few times heard you wierdos had to pay to get onto a highway lol 😂

I was only there for one year so take it with a grain of salt. Finding a job is easy and minimum wage is one of the highest in the world although cost of living is quite high. Housing is quite cheap, the Somali neighbourhood is Footscray and it has a decent amount of Somali shops and restaurants. What I observed was the community is not as close knit as other diaspora. It's a nice city if you want a peaceful life.

Melbourne not close knit? Bruh so many community events, festivals and sporting gigs (ASFA) it does my head in.

Aseer

A man without a 🐫 won't be praised in afterlife
VIP
Majority somalis prob live in Melbourne and the housing is not that bad but is shit in Melbourne Perth on the other hand the housing is not bad

Trending

Latest posts