What is “Ancestral North African”?

Firstly, this is the first official post of mine on this site
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
, and before this I have been deep-diving in Somalispot searching for some genetic stuff I’ve seen on my days deep-diving in egyptsearch (toxic site,lol).

Personally I am not Somali and not from Africa, but instead a Taiwanese college student (people literally mistake me for a central Asian…so likely an admixed one at that) who dug myself into this rabbit hole concerning archaic North East African genomics.

Now, I have seen people mentioning “Ancestral North African”, well, what does this mean?
Does it mean the African group (the non-dzudzuna) in Taforalt?
If so, how come ethnic Somali people plot where they are on PCA if over 50% of the autosomal is that ANA?

Or am I confused and the ANA which defined Somali autosomal profile is actually not the African (non-dzudzuna) side but a Eurasian/Levantine-like material?
Where would the ANA that made up a large chunk of Somali autosomal profile cluster on a PCA plot?
479A8CE8-F853-4F2A-A5F1-FD6A0F1BE9E7.jpeg

@Apollo, excuse me, but were you talking about that ANA in the above PCA plot when you said Somali may be over 50% ANA? Or were the ANA you referred to basically Mesolithic Egyptians? If so, were they basal Eurasian proper?

Btw, I found lots of Coptic old monks and Sid’dai people (the elderly ones especially) looking exactly like or at least very similar to old Somali men, is that normal? Or was I just spotting outliers in communities? Lastly, a political take…but should “Hamite” be accepted as a racial classification? I mean, lots of Americans literally use the term “Semites” whenever they’re referring to Jews and Arabs, and the same trend would be seen among most East Asians.
So, would it be offensive to classify Horners and North Africans as “Hamite”?

Btw, I know there was violence surrounding the term and it’s heavily associated with 19th century racial classification, so again, I’d apologize if that offends any of you.

Last edited:
I can't help you in questioning the first few questions about ANA, so sorry lol. In regards to the "Hamitic" classification conundrum, though, I don't think it's Somali people who'd find it offensive. The Hamitic hypothesis, if anything, held us in high regard. Still, as to not appear as if you take from it or 19th century anthropology as a whole, I'd suggest you refrain from using it.

It's also not a very scientific word, even if you compare it to "Semitic" classification that has both a linguistic and genetic basis. Who's to say the "Hamitic" languages split together from the "Semtitic" collective? It's actually more likely that Semitic and AE were the last to split.

Also, nothing you said was offensive in the slightest. You're good, bro.

Trending

Latest posts