What happened to the Shia population in Zeila?

When Ibn Battuta visited Zeila, he said the greatest part of the inhabitants of Zaila were Rafida. What happened to the Shia population in Zeila? Who was Ibn Battuta exactly referring to? Did Somalis practice Shia Islam in the past? How did the past Muslim rulers treat the Shia population in Zeila.

When Ibn Battuta visited Zeila, he said the greatest part of the inhabitants of Zaila were Rafida. What happened to the Shia population in Zeila? Who was Ibn Battuta exactly referring to? Did Somalis practice Shia Islam in the past? How did the past Muslim rulers treat the Shia population in Zeila.
No I’ve heard the Shia of Somalia was different to Shia in Middle East. Shia itself means the follower of ….

two was type of shias in Somalia

1) Yemenis shias who living in northern Somalia
(Again make sense Yemenis we’re able to move into Somalia the same way Somalis was able to move into Yemen)

2) Somalis that believed Ali ra should’ve been the first caliph or they loved him more (even tho they didn’t curse other sahaba and believed in Abu baker and Umar ra unlike the other shias) the problem is that I can’t find the source. I’ve read it on Twitter but that was long ago

attash

Amaan Duule
Don't you mean "ethio-semites"? I thought Somalis didn't live in Saylac at the time. I thought it was "entirely Arab" or "ethio-semite" or Bantu or something. :dabcasar:

But honestly, I think it was a result of influence from Zaidi preachers from Yemen. Perhaps there was a large Zaidi community that eventually declined and dissappeared at some point.

Don't you mean "ethio-semites"? I thought Somalis didn't live in Saylac at the time. I thought it was "entirely Arab" or "ethio-semite" or Bantu or something. :dabcasar:

But honestly, I think it was a result of influence from Zaidi preachers from Yemen. Perhaps there was a large Zaidi community that eventually declined and dissappeared at some point.
There was a Yemeni-Zaidi community in Zeila. The Yemeni-Zaidi immigrants arrived in 739 AD. I am not sure how strong their influence was in the region. The ruling class of Zeila were mostly Sunni Muslims, so I am not sure how the Zaidi community was treated. No one is quite sure when the influence of the Zaidi community diminished in Zeila.

Yes, Somalis didn't live in Zeila at the time. The inhabitants of the coastal town primarily consisted of Arabs and Ethio-Semeties. There were also cushitic elements that resided deep in the hinterland. You have to understand that the word Zeila was, on some occasions, used to describe the whole region. I am not sure if the influence of Shia Islam spread to the nomads in the interior. I was generally referring to whether there was a Somali community that practiced Shia Islam, irrespective of their geographical location and duration of time.

I also heard some Somalis say that there was a small Shia community in the north. I guess it was referring to the Zaidi community who returned to Yemen.

Last edited:
No I’ve heard the Shia of Somalia was different to Shia in Middle East. Shia itself means the follower of ….

two was type of shias in Somalia

1) Yemenis shias who living in northern Somalia
(Again make sense Yemenis we’re able to move into Somalia the same way Somalis was able to move into Yemen)

2) Somalis that believed Ali ra should’ve been the first caliph or they loved him more (even tho they didn’t curse other sahaba and believed in Abu baker and Umar ra unlike the other shias) the problem is that I can’t find the source. I’ve read it on Twitter but that was long ago
I also heard about a Somali Shia community. I heard they lived in the north. I am not sure how reliable the source is. I couldn't find anything about it. They were most likely influenced by the Zaidi community.

I dont think Zaidis are rafidhah as they dont have any issue with the two first caliphate. Moreover, Zaidis had strong influence back then unlike now even the Idrisi caliphate was zaidi and najad too for 4 centuries

Trending

Latest posts