What do you guys think of his opinion?

Is it better to change the capital?

In my opinion, this is difficult because in terms of the country's infrastructure, Mogadishu is the best, and because it is the main economic center, and we must not forget the pressures that the new capital will be exposed to if this is done. @Step a side

In general, I do not see Mogadishu as an ideal capital. For me, the capital should be in a geographically central place, so that it is better protected from possible invasions.

Last edited:
Somalia doesn’t have the money needed to build a new capital city from scratch, and no external parties would provide us with the funds needed to do so. Even if we did have the money, it would be better put to use if it was directed elsewhere

Hargeisa should have been declared the Somali capital in 1991.

The newly established government gets all the trappings of the Somali state including international support, etc. The North would have been a base from which to reclaim all of the country and move forward. This was Egal's wish though it didn't work out for him and it was rejected.

Somali government is working from Day 1. Somaliland doesn't need to wait in limbo for 33 years for Ictiraf, etc. In a position of advantage, Somaliland politicians can create a new union that is fair to North and South unlike the sham of 1960

Last edited:
Somalia doesn’t have the money needed to build a new capital city from scratch, and no external parties would provide us with the funds needed to do so. Even if we did have the money, it would be better put to use if it was directed elsewhere
The problem is that Al-Shabaab is targeting him, and we need a stable place at least until the problems of the south are solved. I also wished it was a neutral place to stop making demands.

The problem is that Al-Shabaab is targeting him, and we need a stable place at least until the problems of the south are solved.
The South has improved a lot these past few years. Look at pictures of Xamar before 2020 and compare it to now. The city is almost unrecognizable and it’s continuing to develop at a rapid pace. I’m not too knowledgeable about the war against Al Shabaab so maybe someone else could speak on that
I also wished it was a neutral place to stop making demands.
In terms of there being a “neutral” place, idk if that exists in Somalia. Every inch of land is claimed by someone, and no clan is neutral. All qabils have their own goals which in and of itself is fine, but with that being the case can we say that we’re moving the capital to a “neutral” place when such a place doesn’t really exist?

I think the main issue is how power is divided between the FGS and FMS. How much autonomy do the federal states get vs how much control is given to the federal government. You answer this and the rest of Somalia’s problems can easily be solved

Trending

Latest posts