What do you claim to be if you were born outside Somalia?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Salaam

If you were born for example in the US, when people ask where you're from would you answer

1) "I'm Somali"
2) "I'm American-Somali"
3) "I'm American"

This can be for any country outside Somalia, like British-Somali, Canadian-Somali, even Japanese-Somali if there are any lol

I've always just answered "I'm Somali" but since I was born somewhere else wouldn't I technically also be from that other country, I'd like to see your thought

I used to believe in " we are all Australian " until I saw widespread discrimination and racism.i would love to claim here but you can always be shunned as a foreigner. Simple questions such as " You don't look your from here, where you from" reinforce my love of Somali weyn.

VixR

Veritas
I'm US-born/bred. From your example, I easily use all three interchangeably.

It depends on the context. Sometimes ppl just wanna know wtf you are, 'cuz they're trying to guess your origin, so I tell 'em what they're asking for, or they get it wrong and I correct 'em, but I'm also American.

I hate this question and the trash question about how old I'm :childplease:
I been accused of everything from oromo to @TooMacaan people:damn:to AA:deadrose:to somali:ohlord:
I just wanna live i don't care about ethnic tags :mjcry:

I say I'm Canadian or American. If they ask more questions, I just say I'm African and that's where it ends. Though if I'm wearing hijab it's very obvious I'm Somali, so I don't deny it. I've learned to live with it.

xisaabiye

Ibnu Suxuufi Ibnu Al Dhoobe
I just tell them I'm from Somaliland:mjlaugh:. I met a Burundi guy at work and he said "Oh SL I heard it's really nice, I have a brother stationed in mogadishu z3zrULC"

He went on to further claim that his ppl come from Somalis :jaynerd:and face xenophobia from the hutus who say go back to Ethiopia & Somalia:jaynerd:

Xooshdheere

how do i use this
I just tell them I'm from Somaliland:mjlaugh:. I met a Burundi guy at work and he said "Oh SL I heard it's really nice, I have a brother stationed in mogadishu z3zrULC"

He went on to further claim that his ppl come from Somalis :jaynerd:and face xenophobia from the hutus who say go back to Ethiopia & Somalia:jaynerd:
So he's a Tutsi from Rwanda?

Von

With blood and Iron will we reach the fatherland

you got to be joking :damedamn:

I say I'm Canadian or American. If they ask more questions, I just say I'm African and that's where it ends. Though if I'm wearing hijab it's very obvious I'm Somali, so I don't deny it. I've learned to live with it.
I still haven't learnt to live with it unfortunately. I'll tell them I'm just black canadian but if they continue asking I say I'm african, but after being pressed on it I usually say sudan.:wowsweat:. Recently though my lie was found out:jcoleno:
You have more self confidence than me in your identity. Can you tell me how you learnt to live with this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts