What do the classical scholars say about seeking intercession with the Prophet

Imam Kamal al-Din Ibn al-Zamlakani [al-Shafi'i] (d. 727 AH) seeks intercession with the Prophet ﷺ - in poetry

The Adib Salah al-Din al-Safadi (d.764 AH) mentioned his poem in A'yan al-'Asr wa A'wan al-Nasr [4/636] , which contains the statement addressing the Messenger of Allah ﷺ "so ask Allah's forgiveness for me and ask him his protection...":

يا أفضل الرسل يا مولى الأنام ويا ... خير الخلائق من إنس وأملاك
ها قد قصدتك أشكو بعض ما صنعت ... في الذنوب وهذا ملجأ الشاكي
قد قيدتني ذنوبي عن بلوغ مدى ... قصدي إلى الفوز منها فهي أشراكي
فاستغفر الله لي واسأله عصمته ... فيما بقي وغنى من غير إمساك
- end of quote -

Imam Ibn 'Aqil [al-Hanbali] (d. 513 AH) recommends seeking intercession with the Prophet ﷺ:

He said in his al-Tadhkira (p. 117) that one should say the following in the context of the visitation:

اللهم إنك قلت في كتابك لنبيك صلى الله عليه وسلم: {وَلَوْ أَنَّهُمْ إِذْ ظَلَمُوا أَنْفُسَهُمْ جَاءُوكَ فَاسْتَغْفَرُوا اللَّهَ وَاسْتَغْفَرَ لَهُمُ الرَّسُولُ لَوَجَدُوا اللَّهَ تَوَّابًا رَحِيمًا} [سورة النساء] وإني قد أتيت نبيك تائبًا مستغفرًا فأسألك أن توجب لي المغفرة كما أوجبتها لمن أتاه في حياته، اللهم إني أتوجه إليك بنبيك صلى الله عليه وسلم نبي الرحمة، يا رسول الله إني أتوجه بك إلى ربي ليغفر لي ذنوبي، اللهم إني أسألك بحقه أن تغفر لي ذنوبي

"O Allah, You have indeed stated in Your book to Your Prophet ﷺ: { If they had only, when they were unjust to themselves, come unto thee and asked Allah’s forgiveness, and the Messenger had asked forgiveness for them, they would have found Allah indeed Oft-returning, Most Merciful } [4:64] and I've come to your Prophet repenting [from my sins] and seeking forgiveness, so I ask you [my Lord] that you grant me forgiveness just like you granted it to the one who came to him (i.e. the Prophet ﷺ) during his life.
O Allah I approach you through your Prophet ﷺ, the Prophet of Mercy. O Messenger of Allah I approach my Lord through you that He forgives my sins. O Allah, I'm asking you that you forgive my sins for his sake."

- end of quote -

If you look into the footnotes on the same site (scanned page), you'll see that the "Salafi" editor could not hold himself back from claiming that this is "greater polytheism", which is not just an attack against Imam Ibn 'Aqil, but rather against the divine law itself, because this wording is established from it!

The scholars of the Shafi'iyya have already been quoted more than enough (one could easily bring even more quotes from them!), so insha`Allah more classical Hanbali scholars will be quoted to show that this issue is established from all 4 Madhahib.

Imam 'Abd al-Qadir al-Jilani [al-Hanbali] (d. 561 AH) recommends seeking intercession with the Prophet ﷺ:

He's said in al-Ghunya li Talibi Tariq al-Haqq 1/35 - 36 the following (translation taken from here: "Visiting the Prophet's Grave"):

فإذا من الله تعالى عليه بالعافية، وقدم المدينة، فالمستحب له أن يأتي مسجد النبي -صلى الله عليه وسلم-، وليقل عند دخول المسجد: اللهم صل على محمد وعلى آل محمد، وافتح لي أبواب رحمتك، وكف عني أبواب عذابك، الحمد لله رب العالمين. ثم يأتي القبر، وليكن بحذائه بينه وبين القبلة، ويجعل جدار القبلة خلف ظهره والقبر أمامه تلقاء وجهه والمنبر عن يساره، وليقم مما يلي المنبر وليقل:السلام عليك أيها النبي ورحمة الله وبركاته، اللهم صل على محمد وعلى آل محمد كما صليت على إبراهيم إنك حميد مجيد، اللهم آت سيدنا محمدًا الوسيلة والفضيلة والدرجة الرفيعة وابعثه المقام المحمود الذي وعدته، اللهم صل على روح محمد في الأرواح، وعلى جسده في الأجساد، كما بلغ رسالتك وتلا آياتك وصدع بأمرك وجاهد في سبيلك وأمر بطاعتك ونهي عن معصيتك، وعادى عدوك ووالى وليك وعبدك حتى أتاه اليقين. اللهم إنك قلت في كتابك لنبيك: {ولو أنهم إذ ظلموا أنفسهم جاءوك فاستغفروا الله واستغفر لهم الرسول لوجدوا الله توابًا رحيمًا} [النساء: 64]. وإني أتيت بيتك تائبًا من ذنوبي مستغفرًا، فأسألك أن توجب لي المغفرة كما أوجبتها لمن أتاه في حياته، فأقر عنده بذنبه فدعا له نبيه فغفرت له. اللهم إني أتوجه إليك بنبيك عليه سلامك نبي الرحمة، يا رسول الله إني أتوجه بك إلى ربي ليغفر لي ذنوبي، اللهم إني أسألك بحقه أن تغفر لي وترحمني، اللهم أجعل محمدًا أول الشافعين وأنجح السائلين وأكرم الأولين والآخرين.اللهم كما آمنا به ولم نره وصدقناه ولم نلقه فأدخلنا مدخله واحشرنا في زمرته، وأوردنا حوضه واسقنا بكأسه مشربًا رويًا صافيًا سائغًا هنيئًا لا نظمأ بعده أبدًا غير خزايًا ولا ناكثين ولا مارقين ولا جاحدين ولا مرتابين، ولا مغضوب علينا ولا ضالين، واجعلنا من أهل شفاعته

If Allah blesses the pilgrim with prosperity and he is able to come to Madina, then what is desirable for him is that he come to the mosque of the Prophet and say upon entering it:

allahumma salli `ala muhammadin wa `ala ali muhammad, waftah li abwab rahmatik, wa kaffi `anni abwab `adhabik, al-hamdu lillah rabb al-`alamin.

O Allah, send blessings upon Muhammad and upon the family of Muhammad, and stem for me the gates of your mercy, and close for me the gates of your punishment, all praise belongs to Allah.

Then let him come to the grave of the Prophet and stand in its proximity so that he will be between the grave and the Qibla, and let him stand so that the facade of the Qibla will be behind him and the grave in front of him exactly facing his face, and the minbar to his left... Let him then say:

Peace upon you, O Prophet, and Allah's mercy and His blessings!

O Allah, send blessings upon Muhammad and upon the family of Muhammad as you have sent blessings upon Ibrahim, praised and glorified are You!

O Allah, bestow upon our master Muhammad the Means (al-wasila) and the Priority (al-fadila) and the high rank (al-daraja al-rafi`a), and raise him to the exalted station (al-maqam al-mahmud) which You have promised him!

O Allah, send blessings upon the spirit of Muhammad among all spirits, and upon his body upon all bodies, just as he has conveyed Your Message and recited Your signs and fought according to Your command and striven in Your path and commanded that You be obeyed and forbade that You be disobeyed and opposed those who opposed You and befriended those who befriended You and served You until death came to him.

O Allah, You said to Your Prophet in Your Book: "If they had only, when they were unjust to themselves, come unto thee and asked Allah's forgiveness, and the Messenger had asked forgiveness for them, they would have found Allah indeed Oft-returning, Most Merciful" (4:64), and I have come to Your House [sic; two other manuscripts have: "and I have come to You"] in repentance from my sins and seeking forgiveness, therefore I ask You that you make forgiveness guaranteed for me as you have made it guaranteed for those who came to him in his lifetime acknowledging their sins, so that their Prophet invoked You on their behalf and You forgave them.

O Allah! I am turning to You with Your Prophet, upon him Your peace, the Prophet of mercy. O Messenger of Allah! I am turning with you to my Lord so that He will forgive me my sins. O Allah, I am asking You for his sake (bi haqqihi) that You forgive me and grant me mercy.

O Allah, grant to Muhammad that he be the first of the intercessors, the most successful of those who ask, and the most honorable of the first and the last. O Allah, just as we believed in him without seeing him; and just as we confirmed him without meeting him: enter us where he entered and raise us in his group and bring us to his pond and quench us with his cup of a satisfying, pure, fresh, whole drink after which we shall never thirst , and keep us forever away from disappointment, betrayal, deviation, negation, and doubt, and make us not of those You are angered against, nor of the misguided, but place us among the people of his intercession.

- end of quote -

Imam Yahya bin Yusuf al-Sarsari [al-Hanbali] (d. 656 AH) seeks intercession with the Prophet ﷺ in his poetry

He was famous for his poems - especially regarding the Messenger of Allah ﷺ - and was praised for them by many scholars.
Imam Ibn Rajab [al-Hanbali]
(d. 795 AH) mentioned him and his poems in his al-Dhayl 'ala Tabaqat al-Hanabila and stated that he was strong on the Sunna.
(English translation of his biography can be found here: "BIOGRAPHY: IMAM YAHYA AS-SARSARI")

He said in one of his poems while addressing the best of creation ﷺ:

يا حبيب الرحمن في الخلق يا منْ * تعرف الأرض فضله والســماءُ
يا كــــــريم الآبـــاء ثمّت زادت * شرفاً ســــامياً بـــك الآبـــــــــاءُ
أنت ذخرٌ لنا وعــــــــــونٌ على * خطبِ زمـــانٍ به اللبيبُ يُســـاءُ
فأغثني وكُنْ لضعفي مجيــــراً * في مقامٍ تخـــــافهُ الأتقيـــــــــاءُ
- end of quote -

The relevant part is: "So help me and be the refuge of my weakness".

And he said:

لأنت إلى الرحمن أقوى وسيلة = إليها بها في الحادثان توسّلي
وسلْ لي ربَّ العالمين يُميتني = على السُنة البيضاء غير مبدّل
- end of quote -

The relevant part is: "And ask the Lord of the worlds that He let's me die * upon the pure Sunna without having changed".

His poems are full with such kind of Tawassul with the best of creation ﷺ.

Imam Ibn Qudama al-Maqdisi [al-Hanbali] (d. 620 AH) recommends seeking intercession with the Prophet ﷺ:

He said in his famous al-Mughni 3/478 - 488 (or see HERE) the following in the context of the visitation (he mentioned in the beginning of the section that the visitation of the Prophetic grave is desirable ("وَيُسْتَحَبُّ زِيَارَةُ قَبْرِ النَّبِيِّ - صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ")):

اللَّهُمَّ إنَّك قُلْت وَقَوْلُك الْحَقُّ: {وَلَوْ أَنَّهُمْ إِذْ ظَلَمُوا أَنْفُسَهُمْ جَاءُوكَ فَاسْتَغْفَرُوا اللَّهَ وَاسْتَغْفَرَ لَهُمُ الرَّسُولُ لَوَجَدُوا اللَّهَ تَوَّابًا رَحِيمًا} [النساء: 64] . وَقَدْ أَتَيْتُك مُسْتَغْفِرًا مِنْ ذُنُوبِي، مُسْتَشْفِعًا بِك إلَى رَبِّي، فَأَسْأَلُك يَا رَبِّ أَنْ تُوجِبَ لِي الْمَغْفِرَةَ، كَمَا أَوْجَبْتهَا لِمَنْ أَتَاهُ فِي حَيَاتِهِ، اللَّهُمَّ اجْعَلْهُ أَوَّلَ الشَّافِعِينَ، وَأَنْجَحَ السَّائِلِينَ، وَأَكْرَمَ الْآخَرِينَ وَالْأَوَّلِينَ، بِرَحْمَتِك يَا أَرْحَمَ الرَّاحِمِينَ

O Allah, You spoke and your saying is the truth: { If they had only, when they were unjust to themselves, come unto thee and asked Allah's forgiveness, and the Messenger had asked forgiveness for them, they would have found Allah indeed Oft-returning, Most Merciful } [4:64].
So I've come to you, asking [my Lord] for forgiveness for my sin and seeking intercession through you unto my Lord.
So I ask you, o Lord, that you grant me forgiveness just like you granted it to the one who came to him during his life.
O Allah, grant to him that he be the first of the intercessors, the most successful of those who ask, and the most honorable of the first and the last, through Your Mercy - o Most Merciful of the Merciful!.

- end of quote -

Imam Ibn Qudama recommends acting upon the Hadith of the blind man when in need!

He said in his Wasiyya (p. 46-48) under the chapter of asking for a need (translation taken from here: "The Blazing Star in Defence of a Narration from Malik al-Dar" (p. 391):

وإذا كانت لك حاجة إلى الله تعالى تريد طلبها منه فتوضأ ، فأحسن وضوءك ، واركع ركعتين ، وأثن على الله عز وجل ، وصلَ على النبي صلى الله عليه وسلم ، ثم قل : لا إِلَهَ إِلاَّ الله الحَلِيمُ الكَريمُ، سُبحَانَ رَبِّ العَرشِ العَظيمِ الحَمْدُ للهِ رَبِّ العَالمِينِ، أَسأَلُكَ مُوجِبَاتِ رَحمَتِكَ وَعَزَائمَ مَغفِرَتِكَ وَالغَنيمَةَ مِنْ كُلِّ بِرٍّ، وَالسَّلامَةَ مِنْ كُلِّ إِثْمٍ، لا تَدَعْ لي ذَنباً إِلاَّ غَفَرْتَهْ وَلا هَمَّاً إِلاَّ فَرَّجْتَهْ، وَلا حَاجةً هِيَ لَكَ رِضاً إِلاَّ قَضَيتَهَا يَا أَرحَمَ الرَّاحمين

وإن قلت : اللهم إني أسألك وأتوجه إليك بنبيك محمد صلى الله عليه وسلم نبي الرحمة يا محمد إني أتوجه بك إلى ربي فيقضي لي حاجتي، وتذكر حاجتك

وروي عن السلف أنهم كانوا يستنجحون حوائجهم بركعتين يصليهما ثم يقول : اللهم بك أستفتح وبك أستنجح ، وإليك بنبيك محمد صلى الله عليه وسلم أتوجه
، اللهم ذلل لي صعوبة أمري ، وسهل من الخير أكثر مما أرجو ، واصرف عني من الشر أكثر مما أخاف

If you need something from Allah, exalted is He, and want to seek it from Him, do wudu and do it well, perform two rak’ahs, and praise Allah, mighty and majestic is He, bless the Prophet ﷺ and then say: ‘There is no god but Allah, the Ever-Forbearing, the Generous. Glory is to Allah, the Lord of the immense Throne. Praise belongs to Allah, the Lord of the worlds. O Allah, I ask You for what obliges Your mercy and the firm resolution (to obtain) Your forgiveness, the obtainment of every act of piety and safety from every wrongdoing. O Allah, do not leave me any wrong action but that You forgive it nor any care but that You relieve it nor any need that is pleasing to You but that You settle it, O Most Merciful of the merciful.

O Allah, I ask You and turn to You by Your Prophet Muhammad ﷺ, the Prophet of mercy. O Muhammad, I turn by you to My Lord and your Lord, mighty and majestic is He, for Him to settle my need for me.’ Then he should mention what he needs.

It is related that the early Muslims (Salaf) used to seek to have their needs fulfilled by praying two rak’ahs and then saying:
‘O Allah, I seek opening by You and success by You. I turn to You by Your Prophet Muhammad ﷺ. O Allah, make the difficulty in my business easy for me, ease my hardship for me, make smooth for me good than I hope for and avert from me more evil than I fear.’

- end of quote -

Muzaffer

𝕮𝖔𝖒𝖗𝖆𝖉𝖊 𝕲𝖊𝖓𝖊𝖗𝖆𝖑
خرج الإمام أحمد وغيره بسند صحيح عن عثمان بن حنيف أن رجلاً ضرير البصر أتى النبي صلى الله عليه وسلم ، فقال : ادع الله أن يعافيني . فقال صلى الله عليه وسلم : (إن شئت دعوت لك ، وإن شئت أخّرتُ ذاك ، فهو خير لك. [وفي رواية : (وإن شئتَ صبرتَ فهو خير لك)] ، فقال : ادعهُ. فأمره أن يتوضأ ، فيحسن وضوءه ، فيصلي ركعتين ، ويدعو بهذا الدعاء : اللهم إني أسألك ، وأتوجه إليك بنبيك محمد نبي الرحمة ، يا محمد إني توجهتُ بك إلى ربي في حاجتي هذه ، فتقضى لي ، اللهم فشفّعه فيَّ وشفّعني فيه) . قال : ففعل الرجل فبرأ .
وقد أشكل هذا الحديث على بعض الناس وظنوا أن فيه حجة على بعض أنواع التوسل البدعي ، وليس الأمر كذلك .
وقد أجاب عن الإشكال الذي قد يفهم من هذا الحديث كثير من أهل العلم ، وبينوا أنه لا حجة فيه لأحد ممن يرى التوسل البدعي ، سواء كان بالذات أو بالجاه ، فضلا عن التوسل بالأموات ودعائهم من دون الله ، ومن أحسن الردود العلمية المحكمة ما سطره العلامة الشيخ محمد ناصر الدين الألباني في كتابه "التوسل أنواعه وأحكامه" فكان مما قاله رحمه الله تعليقا على هذا الحديث :
"وأما نحن فنرى أن هذا الحديث لا حجة لهم فيه على التوسل بالذات ، بل هو دليل آخر على النوع الثالث من أنواع التوسل المشروع ـ وهو التوسل بدعاء الرجل الصالح ـ لأن توسل الأعمى إنما كان بدعائه صلى الله عليه وسلم ؛ والأدلة على ما نقول من الحديث نفسه كثيرة ، وأهمها :
أولاً: أن الأعمى إنما جاء إلى النبي صلى الله عليه وسلم ليدعو له ، وذلك قوله : ( ادعُ الله أن يعافيني ) فهو توسل إلى الله تعالى بدعائه ، لأنه يعلم أن دعاءه صلى الله عليه وسلم أرجى للقبول عند الله بخلاف دعاء غيره ، ولو كان قصد الأعمى التوسل بذات النبي صلى الله عليه وسلم أو جاهه أو حقه لما كان ثمة حاجة به إلى أن يأتي النبي صلى الله عليه وسلم ، ويطلب منه الدعاء له ، بل كان يقعد في بيته ، ويدعو ربه بأن يقول مثلاً : ( اللهم إني أسألك بجاه نبيك ومنزلته عندك أن تشفيني، وتجعلني بصيراً). ولكنه لم يفعل .
ثانياً : أن النبي صلى الله عليه وسلم وعده بالدعاء مع نصحه له ببيان ما هو الأفضل له ، وهو قوله صلى الله عليه وسلم : (إن شئت دعوتُ ، وإن شئت صبرت فهو خير لك).
ثالثاً : إصرار الأعمى على الدعاء وهو قوله : (فادع) فهذا يقتضي أن الرسول صلى الله عليه وسلم دعا له ، لأنه صلى الله عليه وسلم خيرُ من وَفَى بما وعد ، وقد وعده بالدعاء له إن شاء كما سبق ، فلا بد أنه صلى الله عليه وسلم دعا له ، فثبت المراد ، وقد وجه النبي صلى الله عليه وسلم الأعمى بدافع من رحمته ، وبحرص منه أن يستجيب الله تعالى دعاءه فيه ، وجهه إلى النوع الثاني من التوسل المشروع ، وهو التوسل بالعمل الصالح ، ليجمع له الخير من أطرافه ، فأمره أن يتوضأ ويصلي ركعتين ثم يدعو لنفسه ، وهذه الأعمال طاعة لله سبحانه وتعالى يقدمها بين يدي دعاء النبي صلى الله عليه وسلم له ، وهي تدخل في قوله تعالى : (وَابْتَغُواْ إِلَيهِ الْوَسِيلَةَ ) كما سبق .
وعلى هذا ، فالحادثة كلها تدور حول الدعاء – كما هو ظاهر – وليس فيها ذكر شيء مما يزعمون .
رابعاً : أن في الدعاء الذي علمه رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم إياه أن يقول : ( اللهم فشفعه في ) وهذا يستحيل حمله على التوسل بذاته صلى الله عليه وسلم ، أو جاهه ، أو حقه ، إذ إن المعنى : اللهم اقبل شفاعته صلى الله عليه وسلم فيّ ، أي : اقبل دعاءه في أن ترد عليَّ بصري ، والشفاعة لغةً الدعاء ، قال في "لسان العرب" (8/184) : "الشفاعة كلام الشفيع للملك في حاجة يسألها لغيره ، والشافع الطالب لغيره ، يتشفع به إلى المطلوب ، يقال تشفعت بفلان إلى فلان ، فشفعني فيه" انتهى .
فثبت بهذا الوجه أيضاً أن توسل الأعمى إنما كان بدعائه صلى الله عليه وسلم لا بذاته .
خامساً : أن مما علم النبيُّ صلى الله عليه وسلم الأعمى أن يقوله : ( وشفعني فيه ) أي : اقبل شفاعتي ، أي دعائي في أن تقبل شفاعته صلى الله عليه وسلم ، أي دعاءه في أن ترد علي بصري . هذا المعنى الذي لا يمكن أن يفهم من هذه الجملة سواه .
ولهذا ترى المخالفين يتجاهلونها ، ولا يتعرضون لها من قريب أو من بعيد ، لأنها تنسف بنيانهم من القواعد ، وتجتثه من الجذور .
سادساً : إن هذا الحديث ذكره العلماء في معجزات النبي صلى الله عليه وسلم ودعائه المستجاب ، وما أظهره الله ببركة دعائه من الخوارق والإبراء من العاهات ، فإنه بدعائه صلى الله عليه وسلم لهذا الأعمى أعاد الله عليه بصره ، ولذلك رواه المصنفون في "دلائل النبوة" كالبيهقي وغيره ، فهذا يدل على أن السر في شفاء الأعمى إنما هو دعاء النبي صلى الله عليه وسلم .
فلو كان السر في شفاء الأعمى أنه توسل بجاه النبي صلى الله عليه وسلم وقدره وحقه ، كما يفهم عامة المتأخرين ، لكان من المفروض أن يحصل هذا الشفاء لغيره من العميان الذين يتوسلون بجاهه صلى الله عليه وسلم ، بل ويضمون إليه أحياناً جاه جميع الأنبياء المرسلين ، وكل الأولياء والشهداء والصالحين ، وجاه كل من له جاه عند الله من الملائكة ، والإنس والجن أجمعين ! ولم نعلم ولا نظن أحداً قد علم حصول مثل هذا خلال القرون الطويلة بعد وفاته صلى الله عليه وسلم إلى اليوم .
وبهذا التوضيح يتبين أن قول الأعمى في دعائه : (اللهم إني أسألك ، وأتوسل إليك بنبيك محمد صلى الله عليه وسلم) إنما المراد به : أتوسل إليك بدعاء نبيك ، أي على حذف المضاف ، وهذا أمر معروف في اللغة ، كقوله تعالى : (وَاسْأَلِ الْقَرْيَةَ الَّتِي كُنَّا فِيهَا وَالْعِيْرَ الَّتِي أَقْبَلْنَا فِيهَا وَإِنَّا لَصَادِقُونَ) يوسف/82 ، أي : أهل القرية وأصحاب العير .
على أنني أقول : لو صح أن الأعمى إنما توسل بذاته صلى الله عليه وسلم ، فيكون حكماً خاصاً به صلى الله عليه وسلم ، لا يشاركه فيه غيره من الأنبياء والصالحين ، وإلحاقهم به مما لا يقبله النظر الصحيح ، لأنه صلى الله عليه وسلم سيدهم وأفضلهم جميعاً ، فيمكن أن يكون هذا مما خصه الله به عليهم ككثير مما صح به الخبر ، وباب الخصوصيات لا تدخل فيه القياسات ، فمن رأى أن توسل الأعمى كان بذاته لله ، فعليه أن يقف عنده ، ولا يزيد عليه كما نقل عن الإمام أحمد والشيخ العز بن عبد السلام رحمهما الله تعالى . هذا هو الذي يقتضيه البحث العلمي مع الإنصاف ، والله الموفق للصواب " انتهى باختصار من "التوسل" ( ص 75 وما بعدها) .
والله أعلم

why do I have to ask prophet Muhammad for help if I can just ask Allah?
Help ultimately comes from Allah, however there’s nothing wrong with seeking the Prophet’s intercession on our behalf. It's mentioned in a famous Hadith in Sahih al-Bukhari and others that on the day of judgement the people will go to the major Prophets peace be upon them all, and ask them for intercession until they will reach our Prophet Muhammad ﷺ and will ask him for intercession by saying "(Please) intercede for us with your Lord" (ishfa' lana ila Rabbak) and then the Prophet ﷺ will intercede with the permission of His Lord.

It's well known that the supplication of Prophets peace and blessings be upon them are more easily accepted than that of the rest of the creation.

Imam 'Abdullah bin Mahmud bin Mawdud al-Mawsili [al-Hanafi] (d. 683 AH) recommends seeking intercession with the Prophet ﷺ:

He stated in his al-Ikhtiyar li Ta'lil al-Mukhtar 1/176 (= major accepted Fiqh book of the Ahnaf / Hanafiyya!) that one should say the following during the visitation (Ziyara) of the grave of our beloved Prophet ﷺ:

وَقَدْ قَالَ اللَّهُ تَعَالَى: {وَلَوْ أَنَّهُمْ إِذْ ظَلَمُوا أَنْفُسَهُمْ جَاءُوكَ فَاسْتَغْفَرُوا اللَّهَ وَاسْتَغْفَرَ لَهُمُ الرَّسُولُ لَوَجَدُوا اللَّهَ تَوَّابًا رَحِيمًا} [النساء: 64] وَقَدْ جِئْنَاكَ ظَالِمِينَ لِأَنْفُسِنَا، مُسْتَغْفِرِينَ لِذُنُوبِنَا، فَاشْفَعْ لَنَا إِلَى رَبِّكَ، وَأَسْأَلْهُ أَنْ يُمِيتَنَا عَلَى سُنَّتِكَ، وَأَنْ يَحْشُرَنَا فِي زُمْرَتِكَ، وَأَنْ يُورِدَنَا حَوْضَكَ، وَأَنْ يَسْقِيَنَا كَأْسَكَ غَيْرَ خَزَايَا وَلَا نَادِمِينَ، الشَّفَاعَةَ الشَّفَاعَةَ يَا رَسُولَ اللَّهِ، يَقُولُهَا ثَلَاثًا: {رَبَّنَا اغْفِرْ لَنَا وَلإِخْوَانِنَا الَّذِينَ سَبَقُونَا بِالإِيمَانِ} [الحشر: 10] الْآيَةَ. وَيُبَلِّغُهُ سَلَامَ مَنْ أَوْصَاهُ فَيَقُولُ: السَّلَامُ عَلَيْكَ يَا رَسُولَ اللَّهِ مِنْ فُلَانِ بْنِ فُلَانٍ، يَسْتَشْفِعُ بِكَ إِلَى رَبِّكِ فَاشْفَعْ لَهُ وَلِجَمِيعِ الْمُسْلِمِينَ

"Allah ta'ala says: { If they had only, when they were unjust to themselves, come unto thee and asked Allah's forgiveness, and the Messenger had asked forgiveness for them, they would have found Allah indeed Oft-returning, Most Merciful } [4:64].
So we've come to you, having wronged ourselves and asking [Allah] for forgiveness regarding our sins, so intercede for us to your Lord and ask Him that He lets us die upon your Sunna, and that He gathers us [on the day of reckoning] among your group, and allows us to get to your pond and drink from your cup without disgrace or regret.
Intercession intercession, o Messenger of Allah (al-Shafa'a al-Shafa'a, ya Rasulallah) - he (the visitor) should say this thrice -, { “Our Lord, forgive us and those of our brothers who preceded us in faith” } [59:10] [till the end of] the Aya.
[Then] he should deliver the greeting of those who have told him to do so by saying: 'Peace be upon you, o Messenger of Allah, from Fulan bin Fulan, he seeks intercession through you unto your Lord, so intercede for him and for all believers'.
"
- end of quote -

It should be noted that the above is supported by the Ahnaf in general (go and read any major Hanafi Fiqh book!) such that it can be found in their important works like Fath al-Qadir 3/181 (by Imam Ibn al-Humam al-Hanafi (d. 861 AH)), al-Fatawa al-Hindiyya 1/266 (by a number of Hanafi authors) and other than it.

It should be also noted that some ignorant, misinformed or dishonest people in our time will quote some of the Hanafi scholars, who stated that one should not ask Allah ta'ala "by the right of so and so upon you", and then these people claim that this means that these Ahnaf disallowed Tawassul. The reality is that some of their scholars only disliked this wording (!), because they stated that no one has an absolute right upon the Creator (and NOT in order to disallow Tawassul).

And among those who have mentioned this very reasoning for disliking it - while clearly supporting seeking intercession with the Prophet ﷺ is Imam Ibn Mawdud al-Mawsili himself in the very same book quoted above (see al-Ikhtiyar li Ta'lil al-Mukhtar 4/164: "قَالَ: (وَيُكْرَهُ أَنْ يَدْعُوَ اللَّهَ إِلَّا بِهِ) ؛ فَلَا يَقُولُ أَسْأَلُكَ بِفُلَانٍ أَوْ بِمَلَائِكَتِكَ أَوْ بِأَنْبِيَائِكَ وَنَحْوِ ذَلِكَ لِأَنَّهُ لَا حَقَّ لِلْمَخْلُوقِ عَلَى الْخَالِقِ").

Muzaffer

𝕮𝖔𝖒𝖗𝖆𝖉𝖊 𝕲𝖊𝖓𝖊𝖗𝖆𝖑
Imam 'Abdullah bin Mahmud bin Mawdud al-Mawsili [al-Hanafi] (d. 683 AH) recommends seeking intercession with the Prophet ﷺ:

He stated in his al-Ikhtiyar li Ta'lil al-Mukhtar 1/176 (= major accepted Fiqh book of the Ahnaf / Hanafiyya!) that one should say the following during the visitation (Ziyara) of the grave of our beloved Prophet ﷺ:

وَقَدْ قَالَ اللَّهُ تَعَالَى: {وَلَوْ أَنَّهُمْ إِذْ ظَلَمُوا أَنْفُسَهُمْ جَاءُوكَ فَاسْتَغْفَرُوا اللَّهَ وَاسْتَغْفَرَ لَهُمُ الرَّسُولُ لَوَجَدُوا اللَّهَ تَوَّابًا رَحِيمًا} [النساء: 64] وَقَدْ جِئْنَاكَ ظَالِمِينَ لِأَنْفُسِنَا، مُسْتَغْفِرِينَ لِذُنُوبِنَا، فَاشْفَعْ لَنَا إِلَى رَبِّكَ، وَأَسْأَلْهُ أَنْ يُمِيتَنَا عَلَى سُنَّتِكَ، وَأَنْ يَحْشُرَنَا فِي زُمْرَتِكَ، وَأَنْ يُورِدَنَا حَوْضَكَ، وَأَنْ يَسْقِيَنَا كَأْسَكَ غَيْرَ خَزَايَا وَلَا نَادِمِينَ، الشَّفَاعَةَ الشَّفَاعَةَ يَا رَسُولَ اللَّهِ، يَقُولُهَا ثَلَاثًا: {رَبَّنَا اغْفِرْ لَنَا وَلإِخْوَانِنَا الَّذِينَ سَبَقُونَا بِالإِيمَانِ} [الحشر: 10] الْآيَةَ. وَيُبَلِّغُهُ سَلَامَ مَنْ أَوْصَاهُ فَيَقُولُ: السَّلَامُ عَلَيْكَ يَا رَسُولَ اللَّهِ مِنْ فُلَانِ بْنِ فُلَانٍ، يَسْتَشْفِعُ بِكَ إِلَى رَبِّكِ فَاشْفَعْ لَهُ وَلِجَمِيعِ الْمُسْلِمِينَ

"Allah ta'ala says: { If they had only, when they were unjust to themselves, come unto thee and asked Allah's forgiveness, and the Messenger had asked forgiveness for them, they would have found Allah indeed Oft-returning, Most Merciful } [4:64].
So we've come to you, having wronged ourselves and asking [Allah] for forgiveness regarding our sins, so intercede for us to your Lord and ask Him that He lets us die upon your Sunna, and that He gathers us [on the day of reckoning] among your group, and allows us to get to your pond and drink from your cup without disgrace or regret.
Intercession intercession, o Messenger of Allah (al-Shafa'a al-Shafa'a, ya Rasulallah) - he (the visitor) should say this thrice -, { “Our Lord, forgive us and those of our brothers who preceded us in faith” } [59:10] [till the end of] the Aya.
[Then] he should deliver the greeting of those who have told him to do so by saying: 'Peace be upon you, o Messenger of Allah, from Fulan bin Fulan, he seeks intercession through you unto your Lord, so intercede for him and for all believers'.
"
- end of quote -

It should be noted that the above is supported by the Ahnaf in general (go and read any major Hanafi Fiqh book!) such that it can be found in their important works like Fath al-Qadir 3/181 (by Imam Ibn al-Humam al-Hanafi (d. 861 AH)), al-Fatawa al-Hindiyya 1/266 (by a number of Hanafi authors) and other than it.

It should be also noted that some ignorant, misinformed or dishonest people in our time will quote some of the Hanafi scholars, who stated that one should not ask Allah ta'ala "by the right of so and so upon you", and then these people claim that this means that these Ahnaf disallowed Tawassul. The reality is that some of their scholars only disliked this wording (!), because they stated that no one has an absolute right upon the Creator (and NOT in order to disallow Tawassul).

And among those who have mentioned this very reasoning for disliking it - while clearly supporting seeking intercession with the Prophet ﷺ is Imam Ibn Mawdud al-Mawsili himself in the very same book quoted above (see al-Ikhtiyar li Ta'lil al-Mukhtar 4/164: "قَالَ: (وَيُكْرَهُ أَنْ يَدْعُوَ اللَّهَ إِلَّا بِهِ) ؛ فَلَا يَقُولُ أَسْأَلُكَ بِفُلَانٍ أَوْ بِمَلَائِكَتِكَ أَوْ بِأَنْبِيَائِكَ وَنَحْوِ ذَلِكَ لِأَنَّهُ لَا حَقَّ لِلْمَخْلُوقِ عَلَى الْخَالِقِ").
the prophet is dead so he can't do anything to us

Trending

Latest posts