What do I do with my life?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, so here's the thing. I need to choose a career path within like the next week and I don't know what to choose. I took a year off after high school partly because i didn't know what to do, it's been a year and I still don't know what to do. The college application season has started and I can't pick a career field, I can't even think of anything I would enjoy. This is what I'm going to be doing for the rest of my life, what I'm going to be waking up before dusk to do everyday so I prefer for it to be something I enjoy that pays a livable wage. I don't know what I enjoy. I can't think of anything. I have a very limited time to make a life changing decision.

My mom has been pushing me to do nursing, she has her heart set on that. Since I can't pick something why not make my mom happy and just do nursing( even though it's completely cliche with Somali females, I was hoping to be different but just another nursing student).

The highest paying nursing field is Certified Registered nurse anesthetist. Average of 134k per year. In Montana it's 200k+. Studying for a minimum of 7yrs.

I'm stressing rn, advice would be welcome.

yasmin lan

Satans step daughter
Okay, so here's the thing. I need to choose a career path within like the next week and I don't know what to choose. I took a year off after high school partly because i didn't know what to do, it's been a year and I still don't know what to do. The college application season has started and I can't pick a career field, I can't even think of anything I would enjoy. This is what I'm going to be doing for the rest of my life, what I'm going to be waking up before dusk to do everyday so I prefer for it to be something I enjoy that pays a livable wage. I don't know what I enjoy. I can't think of anything. I have a very limited time to make a life changing decision.

My mom has been pushing me to do nursing, she has her heart set on that. Since I can't pick something why not make my mom happy and just do nursing( even though it's completely cliche with Somali females, I was hoping to be different but just another nursing student).

The highest paying nursing field is Certified Registered nurse anesthetist. Average of 134k per year. In Montana it's 200k+. Studying for a minimum of 7yrs.

Please don’t rush when choosing your career! I advise you think long and hard at what you enjoy and find ways you could incorporate that into a career path

Please don’t rush when choosing your career! I advise you think long and hard at what you enjoy and find ways you could incorporate that into a career path
But I don't know what I enjoy. I enjoy eating and watching tv, that can't be a job now can it?
I wanted to be a criminal lawyer but my parents are 100% opposed to it as they believe it's haram. I want to compromise with them so I can't pick something they're 100% against. Also with the lawyer thing, it's like 8yrs of studying so that's too long

yasmin lan

Satans step daughter
But I don't know what I enjoy. I enjoy eating and watching tv, that can't be a job now can it?
I wanted to be a criminal lawyer but my parents are 100% opposed to it as they believe it's haram. I want to compromise with them so I can't pick something they're 100% against. Also with the lawyer thing, it's like 8yrs of studying so that's too long
I suggest you do something you want not something you’re parents can boast about !

Benjamin

någon :)

I know it's hard to make once in a lifetime decision. I have been in your shoes before, but try to think a little bit harder.
Try to remember something you love doing & enjoy, find your inner passion.

I fell you, you wanna make your mother happy but it's not about her, it's up to you to make this important decision.

You have this chance once so remember that, what you choose will be your career, so choose something you love doing.

Last edited:
Why don't you start of with a list of things you absolutely don't see yourself doing? You can narrow it down from there. It worked for me :gnzbryw:

Agent 47

21st Divsion of Somali National Army

it's worth it, go for it!

My biggest problem was that everything seemed interesting so I couldn't choose. I started thinking about what I cared about instead. Like do I care about the environment? Try it. And maybe discuss it with the people around you. What do they think suits you as a person? Goodluck!!!

Agent 47

21st Divsion of Somali National Army
No, it's not:kendrickcry: I have more years than that:bell:

I had the same problem after High School. Decided to pick a interdisciplinary bachelor that combined different fields I was interested in. Had a look at different things throughout and then I could specify more by doing a Master's degree. Now I still don't know what exactly I want to do but there are plenty of interesting opportunities.

I recommend you meet with career counselling in your local university / job center / ..., they can actually be quite helpful in figuring out what you want and what your options are. If your parents want to push you into the nursing direction, maybe find out related fields, e.g. physical therapy, ... that might be more interesting for you.

Are your parents definitely against anything law-related? If not, there are also jobs outside of being a criminal lawyer.
http://prelaw.umass.edu/topics/non_lawyer_careers

Of course you can also become a worker in the criminal justice system. If you speak Somali especially, they always look for people who know the respective communities etc. Your parent's probably would not approve though :D
https://www.thebalance.com/criminology-careers-without-degree-974625

Become a scientist, don't bother getting a 9-5 job.Instead just become a researcher for the rest of your life.
:gnzbryw:

That's what I'm planning to do all my life or at least by 30.
:gaasdrink:

People underestimate nursing. A lot of money to be made in this profession. Plus who doesn't like having four days of the week off. A lot of overtime, extra pay in night shifts,weekends and holidays.pick something that will pay the bills and will get you employed within six months after graduation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending