What did the Europeans do to us during colonization?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prototype

Heads high
I know about the land divisions but I was wondering more about treatment/injustices. For example, the British burned down cities in west Africa and robbed them of their treasures. They also raised up some ethnic groups to oppress others. I haven't heard of these things in Somalia so I am curious.

You haven't heard those things because they didn't happen. The worst they did was divide us and give our lands to neighboring countries.

The only impactful thing or bad thing they did to us was to create artificial borders between us that have no bearing in reality..

I want to quote what a Somali intellectual Faraax Nuur said in regards to your question.

The French , The British and The Italians have all at one time or another attempted to rule the Somali people. Numerous treaties were made dviding the Somali land without any consultation with the Somali people. Yet throughout the centuries, the Somali people never submitted to any foreing rulers. They maintained their dignity, their freedom, and their social institutions. While Somali lands were being ''Sold piece by piece without our knowledge,'' the political and the cultural implications of those sales did not, for the Somalis, necessarily signal the ''last days of the world''

As said the continued stability of the Somali social structure during the half of a century colonial contact is attributed to in parts to the Somali peoples ressiliency and self-determination.

The nature of the colonial experience in Somalia was such as not to bring about major social transformation. While at different times The Italians and the British may have thought they were ruling the Somalis, in fact the Somalis were generally able to ignore or repel attempts of foreign peoples to exert authority. The colonial powers, with only the most limited authority, were unable to establish with the Somalis the kind of master-servant relationship they had achieved in other colonial territories.

On the bright side tho (if there even is one) I'm just glad we atleast didn't get the Bantu/WA & South/Southeast Africa treatment

Somalis were hardly colonized. We had colonialism light mainly because there weren't that many of us, the land was not that hospitable to foreginers and we didn't much resources to be extracted.

Somalis were hardly colonized. We had colonialism light mainly because there weren't that many of us, the land was not that hospitable to foreginers and we didn't much resources to be extracted.

You have to admit that light work got us twisted and fuked up in all kinda way's, imagine if we got that real work like how them west africans got i would imagine we would have turned into literal calibeestens no doubt.

You have to admit that light work got us twisted and fuked up in all kinda way's, imagine if we got that real work like how them west africans got i would imagine we would have turned into literal calibeestens no doubt.
What does calibeestans mean? It's what we call the natives in Canada but I have always wondered about the meaning of the word.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending