What are the Somali words for Limes, lemons, oranges?

Why do we use the same word for these three fruits (liin) or am I a unsophisticated reer baadiyo and there are actual words for each fruit?

As far as I know, oranges are specified by adding “macaan”. So “liin macaan” refers to oranges and “liin dhanaan” = lemons/limes.

But you’re right in saying that both are called liin. Ig because they are all related (citrus fruits).

In Somali language, orange is called liin macaan.
lime is called liin dhanaan cagaaran. Lemon is called liin dhanaan huruud.

In Somali, 'liin' is the term used for lemon, lime, orange, mandarin, and similar citrus fruits.

Gacmeey

Madaxweynaha Qurbo Joogta 🇸🇴
What is balbeelmo? I know it to be a type of grapefruit but I’ve also heard people call oranges and lemons balbeelmo

KinsiHilaac

Pretend there is a title here
As far as I know, oranges are specified by adding “macaan”. So “liin macaan” refers to oranges and “liin dhanaan” = lemons/limes.

But you’re right in saying that both are called liin. Ig because they are all related (citrus fruits).
I swear I’ve heard some Somalis say burtuqaal for oranges. Is it a rare occurrence? Are they Arabized

In Afaan oromo, orange is: burtukaanii, in amharic it's: burtukan, in arabic it's: al burtuqaliu
lime/lemon in afaan oromo is: lomii, in amharic it's: lomee, and in arabic: jiir

Yami

4th Emir of the Akh Right Movement
I swear I’ve heard some Somalis say burtuqaal for oranges. Is it a rare occurrence? Are they Arabized
Defo arabized that's a Semitic loanword. Reminds me of how some people use digaag instead of doro :patrice::ohdamn:

Defo arabized that's a Semitic loanword. Reminds me of how some people use digaag instead of doro :patrice::ohdamn:
Portugal is not an Arabized word. Back in the old days, oranges were thought to come from Portugal 🇵🇹, so they were named after the country. It was not Arabs who called oranges Portugal; some European and Asian languages still refer to oranges as Portugal.

Many other fruits were named after a country in various languages.