Wedding Shenanigans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
I went to a wedding last week and it was the first one I've been to with reer konfuur folks from xamar, well at least half of the wedding party was. In any case, I noticed that they were dancing quite scandalously. I have never seen niiko at weddings but I suspect they would be more tame. However, it was a gratuitous display of bumping and grinding among grown folk. Ceeb badaan I know. This is taboo somaha, even among them methinks. I could be wrong. One thing is for sure, this is not Somali culture period!

SuldaanMethylamine

Scheming from Salaxley
tumblr_nn49fkyFgi1rnzz12o1_400.gif

Duchess

HRH Duchess of Puntland, The Viscount of Garoowe
VIP
It's not taboo among them. To them Niiko is a public dance even the males participate in. :damn:

Nothing new, wareersan qaxootis running around imitating and apropiating disgusting aspects of other peoples cultures. I vommit when i see nikko truly filth and un soomaali.

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
Nothing new, wareersan qaxootis running around imitating and apropiating disgusting aspects of other peoples cultures. I vommit when i see nikko truly filth and un soomaali.

Like McD30 said, you think it would be particularly taboo among a family affair. And its definitely appropriated, that's for sure. The only redeeming dances were Dhaanto and Zeylaci. :banderas:

Wallahi that's what I noticed. My jaw dropped when I saw a dude shaking his hips like Shakira. :ririwtf:

UUUUffff:hova: of all the dances they could do from Dher ,saar ,shab,sacllicy and dhaanto etc. They choose a primitive disgusting disgraceful bantu dance for their weddings.
Soomaalida waa ceeb :mjcry:

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
Ok...."THAT'S REGIONALIST" :mjswag:

This is also a sub-cultural critique. Clearly, this is not a Somali dance in origin and I think we are in agreement when it comes to that. Leave regionalism out of this son. Just so you know every tribe was in full attendance. :rejoice:Yet only a handful from the bridal party were rump shaking. I could really narrow it down to one clan, but I'm not going to do that. :sureman: This isn't somnet after all.

A

Atiya

There's nothing wrong with niko, I've been to a few reer waqoyi weddings and they sometimes do niko, well at least try to. Regardless it's better than that dhanto crap where you all look like possessed elephants. :camby:

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
There's nothing wrong with niko, I've been to a few reer waqoyi weddings and they sometimes do niko, well at least try to. Regardless it's better than that dhanto crap where you all look like possessed elephants. :camby:

I have only been to Reer Galbeed, Waqooyi, Djiboutian and Bari weddings and I have never seen this. I think it looks unbecoming among a dignified Somali people. I was also surprise to see Islaamo weyne partaking in the dance. I suggest you folks stick to traditional Somali dances. :p

Duchess

HRH Duchess of Puntland, The Viscount of Garoowe
VIP

I think it's semi-acceptable at a women's only bridal party, but doing niiko at a mixed wedding (with the men participating) is disgusting and not part of our culture.:ririwtf:

A

Atiya

I have only been to Reer Galbeed, Waqooyi, Djiboutian and Bari weddings and I have never seen this. I think it looks unbecoming among a dignified Somali people. I was also surprise to see Islaamo weyne partaking in the dance. I suggest you folks stick to traditional Somali dances. :p
Lol same thing that's what I meant. Lol online you guys act like you don't do niko, but in real life you guys be bussin on the dance floor trying to niko smh. Niko is Somali there's Somali songs just for niko. Just because you guys don't do it doesn't mean it isn't Somali. Even if it's not originally Somali it's now become part of Somali culture and is spreading and I'm glad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending