We Should Blame Hollywood, not Barkhad Abdi.

Hodan from HR

Be Kind Online.
Staff Member
I noticed alot of hollywood shows/movies milk the somali pirate stereotype. Sometimes as a joke and sometimes as statements. No wonder it didn't make sense that Barkhad's one movie did all these damages.

Here are some screenshots my likkle researcher ass has been taking the past few months of somalian "jokes" I randomly came across while watching different movies/shows...

Screenshot_20210307-125231_Prime Video.jpg

Screenshot_20210323-213620_Netflix.jpg

Screenshot_20210315-135520_Prime Video.jpg

4head

The one and only 4head
VIP
Why complain?
We can also make our movies!
It's more productive to make our own movies than complain about Holywood's shows

Som

VIP
I noticed alot of hollywood shows/movies milk the somali pirate stereotype. Sometimes as a joke and sometimes as a statement. No wonder it didn't make sense that Barkhad's one movie did all these damage.

Here are some screenshots my likkle researcher ass has been taking the past few month of somalian "jokes" I randomly came across while watching different movies/shows...

View attachment 181009

View attachment 181011

View attachment 181010
Who cares about what yankees think about us

Som

VIP
Non.

I'm highlighting who the real culprits are since Barkhad is blamed alot for this stereotype. It is not a one man job..
I agree. I would say barkhad has nothing to be blamed. He just took a job, thr only problem is somali actors are going to get only pirate or terrorist jobs.
Hollywood is american, part of US culture is based on mocking others I'm not surprised.

Hodan from HR

Be Kind Online.
Staff Member
I agree. I would say barkhad has nothing to be blamed. He just took a job, thr only problem is somali actors are going to get only pirate or terrorist jobs.
Hollywood is american, part of US culture is based on mocking others I'm not surprised.

Type casting is a real problem in Hollywood. Mostly blacks, asians and others fall victim to it and in some rare cases also white actors.

Somali actors entering Hollywood can avoid being type casted by taking any other acting role than pirate/warlord 🙏

alien

📍outer space
VIP
this is what Hollywood does. Hollywood is used by America to make 3rd world countries look bad and make America look good. We all see those movies that make America seem like the best country ever. Then there are movies that make Vietnam, China and Iraq look like the worst countries ever. this is called a soft power. Same with anime being Japan's soft power. Making Japan look like the best tourist destination ever while also hides Japans bad past. Hollywood does this too. It makes America seem like the good guy in every movie while Dehumanising other countries

alien

📍outer space
VIP
this is what Hollywood does. Hollywood is used by America to make 3rd world countries look bad and make America look good. We all see those movies that make America seem like the best country ever. Then there are movies that make Vietnam, China and Iraq look like the worst countries ever. this is called a soft power. Same with anime being Japan's soft power. Making Japan look like the best tourist destination ever while also hides Japans bad past. Hollywood does this too. It makes America seem like the good guy in every movie while Dehumanising other countries
@Hodan from HR Thoughts?

alien

📍outer space
VIP
I never thought of it from that perspective but you make a good point.

Very insightful post :it0tdo8:

Two Broke Girls ☺
i read about it ages ago. How countries use media to globolize and to make their country seem like a great place. Japan and America are awesome examples. Japan with its massive anime community helped globolize Japan into a massive tourist destination while also making people not be aware of the atrocious acts the Japanese government has done and has not acknowledged. America with Hollywood making other countries seem bad. an example is how Hollywood made Americans see the Iraq war as a great thing and see Iraq as a country full of injustices. This made people justify the Iraq war.

Hodan from HR

Be Kind Online.
Staff Member
i read about it ages ago. How countries use media to globolize and to make their country seem like a great place. Japan and America are awesome examples. Japan with its massive anime community helped globolize Japan into a massive tourist destination while also making people not be aware of the atrocious acts the Japanese government has done and has not acknowledged. America with Hollywood making other countries seem bad. an example is how Hollywood made Americans see the Iraq war as a great thing and see Iraq as a country full of injustices. This made people justify the Iraq war.

Wow, makes sense if you look at it. Most american shows/movies is about glorifying the country.

It recently come to my attention how these movies/shows slowly brainwash us. Things that clash with your values and morals became normalized the more you watch them. It is scary how something harmless like entertainment can be used to promote sinister agendas. We gotta be careful with what we watch coz we internalize these messages unintentionally.. 🙏

alien

📍outer space
VIP
Wow, makes sense if you look at it. Most american shows/movies is about glorifying the country.

It recently come to my attention how these movies/shows slowly brainwash us. Things that clash with your values and morals became normalized the more you watch them. It is scary how something harmless like entertainment can be used to promote sinister agendas. We gotta be careful with what we watch coz we internalize these messages unconsciously.. 🙏
because these movies have elements of islamaphobia and fear of other countries. It shows only the bad sides of countries and only the good of America. It can be very harmful.

I was watching this movie called the town last year starring Ben Affleck and Blake Lively. Blakes' character (Krystal) got into a fight with a xalimo and beat her up, Hollywood undoubtedly has an agenda against Somalis.

Screenshot_20210421-182015_VLC.jpg

Hodan from HR

Be Kind Online.
Staff Member
I was watching this movie called the town last year starring Ben Affleck and Blake Lively. Blakes' character (Krystal) got into a fight with a xalimo and beat her up, Hollywood undoubtedly has an agenda against Somalis.

View attachment 181316

Dang! They definitely have a theme.
Somalis are repeatedly being portrayed as violent and savage in their movies and shows.

Trending

Latest posts