We have a horrible leeching culture

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mercury

Ha igu daalinee dantaada raac
VIP
Remittance companies are a huge reason for Somalias economy

But honestly we have a disgusting cultural norm were its basically accepted and respectable to have a family member to leech off.

How is anyone meant to build a life for themselves when you constantly have to share so much money with people who are unwilling to help themselves?

Don’t get me wrong, I know there are genuinely people back home who try their hardest to scrape by but I also know that when I’ve visited in the past there’s this lack of shame that I’m taken a back by each time

Asking someone for something of theirs they obviously use on a regular basis, catching them off guard and making them uncomfortable is gross Trying to guilt someone into giving you a phone, laptop etc is gross

Don’t get me wrong, helping each other is in our nature. It’s in the core of us and it’s a beautiful thing but The laziness however that’s been nurtured by the remittance and welfare culture is a low point for us I don’t see us progressing until we move past it.

Yep!

Charity has rules and Somalis need to review it carefully.
Disabled, eldery, children etc, need to be supported financially. Adults, especially, male adults who are healthy, need to find a job. Even selling food on the roads is a legitimate job.
Somali arrogance based on fairy tales is what is enabling this leeching culture.

REFUSE to give money to those who don't deserve it. Don't be guilted into it.

Basra

LOVE is a product of Doqoniimo mixed with lust
Let Them Eat Cake
VIP
Good point. in fact it spoils them. If u have dollars coming at u in Africa every month, u have no motivation to strive or work. U will just linger around, bored senseless.

I have a cousin in nairobi my aunt sends money every month. He is so bored that he has 12 children now from 3 different wives. Life is good i guess.

At the same time, being generous to family members is an Islamic obligation! :)

theres no much work to do for most, theres no huge middle class that you can cater to except in few big towns. this is fkn desert too. remittance or no remittance there has always been a way to survive albeit it might be harder for some without outside help.
Remember you helping ur immediate family only and therefore nothing to make waves of.
More than half dont get any support from outside so your dhaqan exaggertions dont count.
young diaspora dont send a penny, its only the older people.

yes few spoiled ones .

Fact is no one even bothers to ask young diasporas any money. Most wont even help their brother back home or send $50 once and ask too many questions as to why they dont have a good paying job.:)

Last edited:

Mercury

VIP
theres no much work to do for most, theres no huge middle class that you can cater to except in few big towns. this is fkn desert too. remittance or no remittance there has always been a way to survive albeit it might be harder for some without outside help.
Remember you helping ur immediate family only and therefore nothing to make waves of.
More than half dont get any support from outside so your dhaqan exaggertions dont count.
young diaspora dont send a penny, its only the older people.

yes few spoiled ones .
I send to relatives who are struggling I just dont send a penny to the ones who live decent got a maid and claiming theres no jobs to do

You can work as a cab driver or construction or paint houses whatever theres Jobs to do

I send to relatives who are struggling I just dont send a penny to the ones who live decent got a maid and claiming theres no jobs to do

You can work as a cab driver or construction or paint houses whatever theres Jobs to do

thats ok if you help those only need help but the fact is the majority of the young diasporas dont contribute a penny and talk too much,,,, these young diasporas get bewildered when they come home and see a great good number of locals are doing much better than thm.

Mercury

VIP
Yep!

Charity has rules and Somalis need to review it carefully.
Disabled, eldery, children etc, need to be supported financially. Adults, especially, male adults who are healthy, need to find a job. Even selling food on the roads is a legitimate job.
Somali arrogance based on fairy tales is what is enabling this leeching culture.

REFUSE to give money to those who don't deserve it. Don't be guilted into it.

I occasionally send but only the ones I know struggle like relatives who live in the outskirts herding camels etc those i send monthly to but others i dont

Last time I was there my elderly aunt was asking me for my iPhone, obviously for one of her kids The thing is her kids are aged in their 30’s-50’s, they all live with her and are unemployed and their lives are funded by her other two kids abroad

Mercury

VIP
Good point. in fact it spoils them. If u have dollars coming at u in Africa every month, u have no motivation to strive or work. U will just linger around, bored senseless.

I have a cousin in nairobi my aunt sends money every month. He is so bored that he has 12 children now from 3 different wives. Life is good i guess.

At the same time, being o to family members is an Islamic obligation! :)

Why have so many wives and kids if youre not providing for them ?

Mercury

VIP
thats ok if you help those only need help but the fact is the majority of the young diasporas dont contribute a penny and talk too much,,,, these young diasporas get bewildered when they come home and see a great good number of locals are doing much better than thm.
Honestly ive seen the Youth that go back some for dhaqaan celis and some who just stay there after doing too many crimes in the west and their behavior is bad just like the ones who leech

The behavior im talking about is they live on money they get from their parents and than flaunt it at the locals

Aaegal

I have no proof, only whispers
My uncle use to be like that, always asking my parents for money not doing anything in Somalia. He would just smoke and watch sports all day. Then we sponsored him and now he is a workaholic and makes a ton shit of money.

Honestly ive seen the Youth that go back some for dhaqaan celis and some who just stay there after doing too many crimes in the west and their behavior is bad just like the ones who leech

he behavior im talking about is they live on money they get from their parents and than flaunt it at the localsT

see what you mean but the larger recepients are families but then again you know your family and should prioiritize who to give...thats your choice.
my cousin works in an office and makes 100$ monthly with 8 children. he pays $120 as school fees for 5 of the children. i told him to stop having children which he and his wife atlast come to terms with. once a while he get some help but is not consistant.
just help those who deserve and specially where children involved. It breaks my heart about the children, wish people only have 2 maximum.

those who have many wives are those literally i hate the most. and then you cant just ignore the empty bellied children.
when u ask why all these kids they arrogantly come up with the all familiar nonesense,''god will feed thm'', i feel sorry for the children walahi sometimes about to cry. every ciid i help atleast two families buy clothes for the young, and then always some come on monthly basis.

Remittance companies are a huge reason for Somalias economy

But honestly we have a disgusting cultural norm were its basically accepted and respectable to have a family member to leech off.

How is anyone meant to build a life for themselves when you constantly have to share so much money with people who are unwilling to help themselves?

Don’t get me wrong, I know there are genuinely people back home who try their hardest to scrape by but I also know that when I’ve visited in the past there’s this lack of shame that I’m taken a back by each time

Asking someone for something of theirs they obviously use on a regular basis, catching them off guard and making them uncomfortable is gross Trying to guilt someone into giving you a phone, laptop etc is gross

Don’t get me wrong, helping each other is in our nature. It’s in the core of us and it’s a beautiful thing but The laziness however that’s been nurtured by the remittance and welfare culture is a low point for us I don’t see us progressing until we move past it.
I agree. Even Allah says don't forget yourself while helping others.I've neglected so much sending money I am tired.now I'm focusing on me.In the mean time I wont be mean to them but ama make dua for them inshaAllah

Mercury

VIP
God forbid you dare mention this you'll just be told how dare you say Allah wont provide for them. :bell:

But they forgetting this

172765ba5a482f576492a52b98af53ad.jpg

Mercury

VIP
those who have many wives are those literally i hate the most. and then you cant just ignore the empty bellied children.
when u ask why all these kids they arrogantly come up with the all familiar nonesense,''god will feed thm'', i feel sorry for the children walahi sometimes about to cry. every ciid i help atleast two families buy clothes for the young, and then always some come on monthly basis.

They just using religion as an excuse to be lazy and depend on others

Read this story

Long ago, during the days of the Prophet (P.B.U.H), there lived a very poor and unemployed man. As he had no source of income, he and the members of his family had to often live without meals. One day, his wife said to him, “Why don’t you go to the holy Prophet (P.B.U.H) and request him to help us?”
The man then went to the Prophet. However, before saying anything, the Prophet (P.B.U.H) was pleased to remark “If anyone seeks my help, I shall surely help him”. But, if he works hard, Allah will make him independent of anybody else’s help”. When the man heard these words, he could not pick up the courage to request for any help. So he stood up silently and found his way home.
The following day, he went to the Prophet (P.B.U.H) again but before he put forth his request, the Prophet (P.B.U.H) repeated the same sentence. The man again went home without saying anything.
When he went to the Prophet the third day, he once again uttered the same words. The man got up silently, but this time he didn’t go home. Instead he went to a friend’s house, borrowed an axe from him and went into the jungle. In this jungle, he cut branches of the trees and made a bundle of them. He sold this bundle of wood and went home after purchasing some food-stuff.
As time passed, he chopped more and more wood every day and earned income by selling. Eventually, he was able to save money and by Allah’s grace, he bought two camels and other things needed by him for his work.
One day, he visited the Prophet and related his story to him from the beginning to the end. Upon hearing his story, the Prophet said “Did I not tell you again and again, that if anybody seeks my help I will surely help him, but if a man works hard Allah will make him independent of anybody else’s help?”
Therefore, it is evident that Islam teaches its followers to render assistance to the poor and needy. It has also taught us that we should not be lazy and indolent as these are not good qualities of a believer.
From this story, we can see that it is necessary to help a deserving person, but it is also an indecent thing that one should not do anything for oneself and depend on others. Rather, it is appropriate for a person to earn his living as far as possible, by his own efforts so that he should not become a burden on others.
In a nutshell, “Allah helps those who help themselves”.

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP
Unfortunately the vast majority of remittance recipients are already spoiled beyond saving.

Most won't be able to survive if you suddenly cut them off.

However their kids could possibly be saved if the government taxed remittance heavily and spent it on education and job training projects.

Create more opportunities whilst slowly reducing the amount through taxes and propaganda.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending