Was this an old Somali script

Removed

Gif-King
VIP
As we have all seen on numerous threads their are numerous inscriptions found from north to south. People like Grant and Sada Mire will have us believe that these are Ge’ez Sabean remnants, but they are vowel based scripts whilst Sabean are almost always Consonant scripts.

This is very far from my field of study but from what I can tell these historians and archaeologists are wanting a storyline before we have the facts.

What evidence exists that these are Sabean scripts or that those graves are christian graves? What qualifies a “christian grave” if it was truly so obviously christian surely they would produce pictures of them (they are found everywhere)

:dzmxmmb:

And even if it was Sabean, that has nothing to do with Habeshis, theyre South Arabians and many settled in Somalia and are still visible in Benadir. If there were Christian they were likely locals or South Arabians, I'd like to see the evidence too.

Ge'ez is just Sabaean, they adopted the South Arabian script. It isnt originally from the Horn.

Timo Jareer and proud

2nd Emir of the Akh Right Movement
As we have all seen on numerous threads their are numerous inscriptions found from north to south. People like Grant and Sada Mire will have us believe that these are Ge’ez Sabean remnants, but they are vowel based scripts whilst Sabean are almost always Consonant scripts.

This is very far from my field of study but from what I can tell these historians and archaeologists are wanting a storyline before we have the facts.

What evidence exists that these are Sabean scripts or that those graves are christian graves? What qualifies a “christian grave” if it was truly so obviously christian surely they would produce pictures of them (they are found everywhere)
jews (yibir) existed in Woqooyi Galbeed. I'm pretty sure those are Sabaen scripts.

Removed

Gif-King
VIP
jews (yibir) existed in Woqooyi Galbeed. I'm pretty sure those are Sabaen scripts.
Yibir dont claim jews they are insulted with that. I don’t feel their is enough evidence to say who created those scripts or where they are from let alone their use by pseudo historians to “prove” north Somalia was apart of aksum.

What evidence exists that these are Sabean scripts or that those graves are Christian graves? What qualifies a “Christian grave” if it was truly so obviously Christian surely they would produce pictures of them (they are found everywhere)

Archeology is always just interpretation - but varies on how good an interpretation based on how robust reasoning they have, which is in turn based on current and observed patterns of human behavior at all levels.

Christian motifs were the primary reason. So crosses, some with a previously observed oriental Christian design. There were Judaic-looking influences as well. A Christian corpus was also found by Sada.

Sada Mire does have a penchant for overinterpreting and extrapolating to rather illogical theories i.e Christian graves = Axumite control, and South Arabian script = South Arabian control.

There are abundant Ge'ez, Indic, and Greek writings in Socotra - I doubt that means anything approximating Greek, Aksumite or South Asian rule in Socotra.

There are old South Arabian writings in the Greek Isles =/= South Arabian rule in Greece.

South Arabian relations with early or ancestral Somalis were probably just that - trade relations. And the relationship was quote antagonistic if we go by the rare glimpse we have of interaction between locals in the Somali coast and South Arabians: the fight to control local flora resources which resulted in the locals razing the resource giving trees as a tactic to discourage South Arabian control of their land.

Honestly - a minority and largely transient population in trade ports and a much larger and disconnected inland nomadic population explain the very minor cultural and interaction between historical and ancient Somalis and Arabia, Aksum, South Asia, and Europe - from both a cultural and genetic perspective.

Most Somali states were also inland powers - their control of the inland was their true power. Ajuraan, Adal, Ifat, and even Bah Dir and Hiraab were inland powers. They lost control of their ports several times to foreign powers - but almost always re-expanded there. Their economic bases were also inland - the Juba-Shabelle and Hawd, the Nugaal.

Timo Jareer and proud

Yibir dont claim jews they are insulted with that. I don’t feel their is enough evidence to say who created those scripts or where they are from let alone their use by pseudo historians to “prove” north Somalia was apart of aksum.
they claim Jew, i know a couple of them. It turned into a slur when Somali would discriminate against them. Similar to Gypsies in a way.

Removed

Gif-King
VIP
they claim Jew, i know a couple of them. It turned into a slur when Somali would discriminate against them. Similar to Gypsies in a way.
no, their abtiris is to a muslim man, maxamed Xaniif. In recent times some have opted to claim foreign descent but believe me if they claimed yahuud in the past they would have changed their abtiris to match that and not have a muslim abtiris.

Archeology is always just interpretation - but varies on how good an interpretation based on how robust reasoning they have, which is in turn based on current and observed patterns of human behavior at all levels.

Christian motifs were the primary reason. So crosses, some with a previously observed oriental Christian design. There were Judaic-looking influences as well. A Christian corpus was also found by Sada.

Sada Mire does have a penchant for overinterpreting and extrapolating to rather illogical theories i.e Christian graves = Axumite control, and South Arabian script = South Arabian control.

There are abundant Ge'ez, Indic, and Greek writings in Socotra - I doubt that means anything approximating Greek, Aksumite or South Asian rule in Socotra.

There are old South Arabian writings in the Greek Isles =/= South Arabian rule in Greece.

South Arabian relations with early or ancestral Somalis were probably just that - trade relations. And the relationship was quote antagonistic if we go by the rare glimpse we have of interaction between locals in the Somali coast and South Arabians: the fight to control local flora resources which resulted in the locals razing the resource giving trees as a tactic to discourage South Arabian control of their land.

Honestly - a minority and largely transient population in trade ports and a much larger and disconnected inland nomadic population explain the very minor cultural and interaction between historical and ancient Somalis and Arabia, Aksum, South Asia, and Europe - from both a cultural and genetic perspective.

Most Somali states were also inland powers - their control of the inland was their true power. Ajuraan, Adal, Ifat, and even Bah Dir and Hiraab were inland powers. They lost control of their ports several times to foreign powers - but almost always re-expanded there. Their economic bases were also inland - the Juba-Shabelle and Hawd, the Nugaal.
I agree she adds way to much interpretation to her claims.

Timo Jareer and proud

no, their abtiris is to a muslim man, maxamed Xaniif. In recent times some have opted to claim foreign descent but believe me if they claimed yahuud in the past they would have changed their abtiris to match that and not have a muslim abtiris.

I agree she adds way to much interpretation to her claims.
they claim maxamed xanif was their Jew clan elder that was killed by Aw Barkhadle aun, later converting the clan to Islam. I have to confirm with the Yibir I know tho.

Timo Jareer and proud

There aren't that many Yibir, so it's interesting you know one. I wish i did too (someone with a lot of info on his qabiil)
i know two in fact, their family stories are extremely interesting. One of the two thought they are Habar Awal for the majority of their life until their father was informed that their grandfather was a Yibir who assimilated into Habar Awal.

Som

VIP

Sada mire referred tochristian crosses found in northern somalia.
Sabeans brought their script to the horn of africa but most inscriptions in Ethiopia were made by locals who then developed the geez script from sabean.
It's not surprising that sabean script was found in somalia , the Christian thing is more shady but there's a quote from an Arab scholar which describes muslims and Christians as living together in Zeila which was called "an abyssinian city" as late as the 10th century , but it may refer to Ethiopian traders and habash could be a synonym for Horn African.

Trending

Latest posts