Was South Sudan a mistake?

South and North have virtually nothing in common. Language, culture, religion, genetics and history. United Sudan was a dumb experiment that was bound to fail.

Your argument would hold some truth to it if the Dinka and Nuer weren't butchering each other to death. Also North Sudan houses many nilotic tribes as we are a diverse country, the north of the country isn't just made up of Arabs and Nubians

Marquis

Highly Respected
VIP
Your argument would hold some truth to it if the Dinka and Nuer weren't butchering each other to death. Also North Sudan houses many nilotic tribes as we are a diverse country, the north of the country isn't just made up of Arabs and Nubians

Name me a single period South and North where one state in history prior to the nation state. The British administered them separately for a reason. Darfur and Funj where separate states but they where neighbours and Muslims and the people of those region had some cultural similarities, later on the Mahdist period united the two regions together. Sudan is diverse but there is still a religious, linguistic or historical connection that ties them together. There's nothing that ties the South with the North.

Name me a single period South and North where one state in history prior to the nation state. The British administered them separately for a reason. Darfur and Funj where separate states but they where neighbours and Muslims and the people of those region had some cultural similarities, later on the Mahdist period united the two regions together. Sudan is diverse but there is still a religious, linguistic or historical connection that ties them together. There's nothing that ties the South with the North.

The war between the South and the North was started by the Brits. South Sudanese people and Northern Sudanese people lived side by side for thousands of years, the civil war only started after the Brits left. They purposely spread Christianity into South Sudan and the idea that the Northerners saw them as being inferior due to their African roots which wasn't true at all.

The people from Darfur have no cultural links to the Sudanese Arabs, they have their own culture and languages but your right religion is what made them stick together. Southerners are Sudanese people period, it doesn't matter how you want to defy who is Sudanese and who isn't, all countries have this uniqueness about them.

The war between the South and the North was started by the Brits. South Sudanese people and Northern Sudanese people lived side by side for thousands of years, the civil war only started after the Brits left. They purposely spread Christianity into South Sudan and the idea that the Northerners saw them as being inferior due to their African roots which wasn't true at all.

The people from Darfur have no cultural links to the Sudanese Arabs, they have their own culture and languages but your right religion is what made them stick together. Southerners are Sudanese people period, it doesn't matter how you want to defy who is Sudanese and who isn't, all countries have this uniqueness about them.
The Brits, like all colonial hegemony, created a lot of issues, but your focus is very wrong, as the root of the problem, i.e. the complex differences between communities, always existed.

So, what is the root cause of the problem?. You tell me.
Sudan, more notably pre-separation, lacked a greater identity formation that was inclusive of ethnic, religious, and cultural diversity, and it created tensions since many groups weren't even included in the states narrow methodology, established a bigger divide, alienation, and otherness, demonstrated in the economic power distribution and development in the different regions of the land.

Sudan, more notably pre-separation, lacked a greater identity formation that was inclusive of ethnic, religious, and cultural diversity, and it created tensions since people weren't even included in the states narrow methodology, established a bigger divide, alienation, and otherness, demonstrated in the economic power distribution and development in the different regions of the land.

We had no ''Sudan'', it didn't exist. Sudan was ruled by the Ottomans and before that the Ummayids etc. Our country was made up of different mini kingdoms and empires with different tribes ruling by themselves. The problems were created by the Brits who drew up our country, and left such ethnic groups to fight amongst themselves for state power in this ''new Sudan''.

We had no ''Sudan'', it didn't exist. Sudan was ruled by the Ottomans and before that the Ummayids etc. Our country was made up of different mini kingdoms and empires with different tribes ruling by themselves. The problems were created by the Brits who drew up our country, and left such ethnic groups to fight amongst themselves for state power in this ''new Sudan''.
Yh, I know. I was talking about modern times, dude.

Yh, I know. I was talking about modern times, dude.

I know you were, but my point was is that the Brits had no understanding of the tribal and ethnic differences between these groups, states were a failed concept created by the Europeans. Had they never set foot in Sudan, then I am pretty sure we wouldn't have all of these tribal and ethnic clashes that we are witnessing today.

Even the Dinka and Nuer had their own mini empires, and lived separately from each other.

I know you were, but my point was is that the Brits had no understanding of the tribal and ethnic differences between these groups, states were a failed concept created by the Europeans. Had they never set foot in Sudan, then I am pretty sure we wouldn't have all of these tribal and ethnic clashes that we are witnessing today.

Even the Dinka and Nuer had their own mini empires, and lived separately from each other.
How do you think the region would've looked like without any outside interference? To my understanding, state-building comes from outside pressure to build something robust in case of a threat, or form of inter-ethnic cooperation, and create a strong complete unitary factor, but most likely through oppressive means by domination. What I'm trying to say is, a similar construct would've formed one way or another.

Manafesto

[[Puntland Republic 🇸🇱]]PIM[[C.S(BihinYusuf)]
VIP
HalimoEnthusiast
They should reunite with Sudan,obviously they can't rule themselves, imagine having all that oil and still fighting over controll, 32 IQ at it is best.

Trending