Was Khadija a feminist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cognitivedissonance

A sane man to an insane society must appear insane
Stay WOKE
VIP
The profits Khadijah reaped from that trip were twice as much as she had anticipated. Maysarah was more fascinated by Muhammad (ص) than by anything related to the trip. Muhammad (ص), on the other hand, brought back his impressions about what he had seen and heard, impressions which he related to his employer. You see, those trade caravans were the only links contemporary Arabs had with their outside world: They brought them the news of what was going on beyond their drought-ridden and famine-stricken desert and sand dunes.

Waraqah ibn Nawfal, like Bahirah, the monk who had seen and spoken to Muhammad (ص) when Muhammad (ص) was a lad, adhered to the Nestorian Christian sect. He heard the accounts about the personality and conduct of young Muhammad (ص) from both his cousin Khadijah and her servant Maysarah, an account which caused him to meditate for a good while and think about what he had heard.

Raising his head, he said to Khadijah, "Such manners are fit only for the messengers of God. Who knows? Maybe this young man is destined to be one of them." This statement was confirmed a few years later, and Waraqah was the very first man who identified Muhammad (ص) as the Messenger of Allah immediately after Muhammad (ص) had received the first revelation at Hira cave.

The trip's measure of success encouraged Khadijah to employ Muhammad (ص) again on the winter trip to southern Arabia, i.e. Yemen, the land that introduced the coffee beans to the rest of the world, the land where the renown Ma'rib irrigation dam was engineered, the land of Saba' and the renown Balqees, the Arabian Queen of Sheba (Saba') of Himyar, who married King Solomon (Sulayman the wise, peace with him), in 975 B.C. (after the completion of the construction of the famous Solomon's Temple1), the land of natives skilled in gold, silver and other metal handicrafts, not to mention their ingenuity in the textile industry and domestic furniture..., and it may even be the land that gave Arabic its first written script which, as some believe, was modeled after written Amheric, then the official language in Ethiopia and its colonies.

Yemen, at that time, was being ruled by an Ethiopian regent. This time Khadijah offered Muhammad (ص) three times the usual commission. Unfortunately, historians do not tell us much about this second trip except that it was equally profitable to both employer and employee. Some historians do not mention this trip at all.

Khadijah was by then convinced that she had finally found a man who was worthy of her, so much so that she initiated the marriage proposal herself. Muhammad (ص) sat to detail all the business transactions in which he became involved on her behalf, but the wealthy and beautiful lady of Quraish was thinking more about her distant cousin than about those transactions.

She simply fell in love with Muhammad (ص) just as the daughter of the Arabian prophet Shu`ayb had fallen in love with then fugitive prophet Moses (ع) as we are told in 28:25-26 of the Holy Qur’an (in Surat al-Qasas). Muhammad (ص) was of medium stature, inclined to slimness, with a large head, broad shoulders and the rest of his body perfectly proportioned. His hair and beard were thick and black, not altogether straight but slightly curled. His hair reached midway between the lobes of his ears and shoulders, and his beard was of a length to match.

He had a noble breadth of forehead and the ovals of his large eyes were wide, with exceptionally long lashes and extensive brows, slightly arched but not joined. His eyes were said to have been black, but other accounts say they were brown, or light brown. His nose was aquiline and his mouth was finely shaped. Although he let his beard grow, he never allowed the hair of his moustache to protrude over his upper lip. His skin was white but tanned by the sun. And there was a light on his face, a glow, the same light that had shone from his father, but it was more, much more powerful, and it was especially apparent on his broad forehead and in his eyes which were remarkably luminous.

By the time he was gone, Khadijah sought the advice of a friend of hers named Nufaysa daughter of Umayyah. The latter offered to approach him on her behalf and, if possible, arrange a marriage between them. Nufaysa came to Muhammad (ص) and asked him why he had not married yet. "I have no means to marry," he answered. "But if you were given the means," she said, "and if you were bidden to an alliance where there is beauty, wealth, nobility and abundance, would you not then consent?!" "Who is she?!" he excitedly inquired. "Khadijah," said Nufaysa. "And how could such a marriage be mine?!" he asked. "Leave that to me!" was her answer. "For my part," he said, "I am willing." Nufaysa returned with these glad tidings to Khadijah who then sent word to Muhammad (ص) asking him to come to her. When he came, she said to him:

O son of my uncle! I love you for your kinship with me, and for that you are ever in the center, not being a partisan among the people for this or for that. And I love you for your trustworthiness, and for the beauty of your character and the truth of your speech.

Then she offered herself in marriage to him, and they agreed that he should speak to his uncles and she would speak to her uncle, `Amr son of Asad, since her father had died. It was Hamzah, despite being relatively young, whom the Hashemites delegated to represent them on this marriage occasion, since he was most closely related to them through the clan of Asad; his sister, Safiyya, had just married Khadijah's brother, `Awwam. It was Abu Talib, Muhammad's uncle, who delivered the marriage sermon saying,

All praise is due to Allah Who has made us the progeny of Ibrahim (Abraham), the seed of Isma`eel (Ishmael), the descendants of Ma`ad, the substance of Mudar, and Who made us the custodians of His House and the servants of its sacred precincts, making for us a House sought for pilgrimage and a shrine of security, and He also gave us authority over the people. This nephew of mine, Muhammad (ص), cannot be compared with any other man: If you compare his wealth with that of others, you will not find him a man of wealth, for wealth is a vanishing shadow and a fickle thing. Muhammad (ص) is a man whose lineage you all know, and he has sought Khadijah daughter of Khuwaylid for marriage, offering her such-and-such of the dower of my own wealth.

Nawfal then stood and said,

All praise is due to Allah Who has made us just as you have mentioned and preferred us over those whom you have indicated, for we, indeed, are the masters of Arabs and their leaders, and you all are worthy of this (bond of marriage). The tribe (Quraish) does not deny any of your merits, nor does anyone else dispute your lofty status and prestige. And we, furthermore, wish to be joined to your rope; so, bear witness to my words, O people of Quraish! I have given Khadijah daughter of Khuwaylid in marriage to Muhammadibn Abdullah for the dower of four hundred dinars.

Then Nawfal paused, whereupon Abu Talib said to him, "I wished her uncle had joined you (in making this statement)." Hearing that, Khadijah's uncle stood and said, "Bear witness, O men of Quraish, that I have given Khadijah daughter of Khuwaylid in marriage to Muhammadibn Abdullah."

https://www.al-islam.org/articles/k...ylid-wife-prophet-muhammad-yasin-t-al-jibouri

Not only was khadija prophet Muhammad boss but she also offered herself in marriage, he confided in her she reassured him & he seeked solace in her words even though he thought he was going crazy when he saw Angel Gabriel on that mountain. Would you girls says she was a feminist?

@TooMacaan @The Cushitic One @Reign @Reiko @Lola_Vonroe @Gambar @embarassing @VixR

Cognitivedissonance

Stay WOKE
VIP
The marriage was a very happy one, and it produced a lady who was one of the four perfect women in all the history of mankind: Fatima daughter of Muhammad (ص). Before her, Qasim and Abdullah were born, but they both died at infancy.
By the time Khadijah got married, she was quite a wealthy lady, so wealthy that she felt no need to keep trading and increasing her wealth; instead, she decided to retire and enjoy a comfortable life with her husband who, on his part, preferred an ascetic life to that of money making.

The Messenger of Allah (ص) had no desire to accumulate wealth; that was not the purpose for which he, peace and blessings of Allah with him and his progeny, was created. He was created to be the savior of mankind from the darkness of ignorance, idol worship, polytheism, misery, poverty, injustice, oppression, and immorality. He very much loved to meditate, though his meditation deepened his grief at seeing his society sunk so low in immorality, lawlessness, and the absence of any sort of protection for those who were weak and oppressed.

Khadijah's period of happiness lasted no more than 15 years after which her husband, now the Messenger of Allah (ص), started his mission to invite people to the Oneness of God, to equality between men and women, and to an end to the evils of the day. Muhammad (ص) was forty years old when the first verses of the Holy Qur'an were revealed to him. They were the first verses of Surat al-Alaq (chapter 96), and they were revealed during the month of Ramadan 13 years before the Hijra, at the cave of Hira in Jabal al-Noor (the mountain of light), his favorite place for isolation and meditation, a place which is now visited by many pilgrims. Muhammad (ص) went back home heavy-hearted, profoundly perplexed, deeply impressed by the sight of arch-angel Gabriel and by the depth of meaning implied in those beautiful words:

In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful

Proclaim (or read)! In the Name of your Lord and Cherisher who created (everything). (He) created man of a (mere) clot of congealed blood. Proclaim! And your Lord is the Most Bountiful Who taught (the use of) the pen, Who taught man that which he knew not... (Qur'an, 96:1-5)

He felt feverish, so he asked to be wrapped and, once he felt better, he narrated what he had seen and heard to his faithful and supportive wife.

"By Allah," Khadijah said, "Allah shall never subject you to any indignity..., for you always maintain your ties with those of your kin, and you are always generous in giving. You are diligent, and you seek what others regard as unattainable. You cool the eyes of your guest, and you lend your support to those who seek justice and redress. Stay firm, O cousin, for by Allah I know that He will not deal with you except most beautifully, and I testify that you are the awaited Prophet in this nation, and your time, if Allah wills, has come."

After a short while, Khadijah told her husband about the prediction of the Syrian monk Buhayra regarding Muhammed's Prophethood, and about her dialogue with both her servant Maysarah, who had informed her of what Bahirah (or Buhayrah) had said, and with her cousin Waraqah ibn Nawfal. She then accompanied her husband to Waraqah's house to narrate the whole incident. "Let me hear it in your own words," Nawfal said to Muhammad (ص), adding, "O noble master!" Having heard the Prophet's words, Nawfal took his time to select his words very carefully; he said, "By Allah, this is the prediction which had been conveyed to Moses (ع) and with which the Children of Israel are familiar! [Moses] had said: `O how I wish I could be present when Muhammad (ص) is delegated with Prophethood to support his mission and to assist him!'"

TooMacaan

VIP
It takes a lot of guts to be a pioneer. In addition to being his boss, and initiating the marriage process, she was also older than him- right? I'd imagine all that was taboo back then...so imo, I'd classify her as a feminist. Seems like she knew what she wanted and wasn't afraid to go for it.
Wise, forward-looking, and an independent thinker; salute to her:salute:

Cognitivedissonance

Stay WOKE
VIP
It takes a lot of guts to be a pioneer. In addition to being his boss, and initiating the marriage process, she was also older than him- right? I'd imagine all that was taboo back then...so imo, I'd classify her as a feminist. Seems like she knew what she wanted and wasn't afraid to go for it.
Wise, forward-looking, and an independent thinker; salute to her:salute:
There's only one catch khadijah allowed her husband Muhammad to lead her submit to his will as her husband after they got married would you still consider her a feminist :lolbron:

Cognitivedissonance

Stay WOKE
VIP
Personally I believe khadijah may Allah be pleased with her wasn't a feminist she never competed with her husband rather she completed him and allowed him to play his role as the man the leader of her household

What does that say about Mohamed? Was he a pioneer in supporting his "feminist" older wealthy wife? Or, was he an opportunist? Can we discuss that angle to get a clearer picture of this so called "feminism"?

TooMacaan

VIP
There's only one catch khadijah allowed her husband Muhammad to lead her submit to his will as her husband after they got married would you still consider her a feminist :lolbron:
Key word, allowed her husband:umad:. As long as she chose to submit, purely out of her own will- and with good reason, there's nothing that'd conflict with her feminist status.

Cognitivedissonance

Stay WOKE
VIP
Key word, allowed her husband:umad:. As long as she chose to submit, purely out of her own will- and with good reason, there's nothing wrong with it.
If she was a feminist she would of practised hypergamy and never got with him in the first place also when he confided in her regarding seeing Angel Gabriel she would of told him that he was crazy and an embarrassment for following a religion that's not practice by their forefathers them idols she would of told him that she knows best since she has more wealth than him:siilaanyolaugh:

Cognitivedissonance

Stay WOKE
VIP
What does that say about Mohamed? Was he a pioneer in supporting his "feminist" older wealthy wife? Or, was he an opportunist? Can we discuss that angle to get a clearer picture of this so called "feminism"?
Khadijah offered her hand in marriage to prophet Muhammad not the other way around Sheila

Cognitivedissonance

Stay WOKE
VIP
Khadijah chose the religion of her husband over her forefathers religion and because of the she endured suffering that was imposed by the pagan Arabs that pillaged and killed any Muslim she went through blood sweat and tears and stood by her husbands side through thick and thin. Even during the time Muslims fled to Abyssinia she supported her husband and Muslims financially
No, she was far from a feminist cause she was selfless and dedicated her life to her husband and believed in him when the world was against him may Allah be pleased with her.

Gibiin-Udug

Crowned Queen of Puntland. Supporter of PuntExit
The prophet scw supported women rights, he didn't expect Khadijah R.A to be in the kitchen to cook for him, she ran her own business and the prophet scw help build the business to be more successful.

If you're going to bring up our prophet scw and khadija, atleast be honest with your motives. Don't pick and choose.

Gibiin-Udug

Crowned Queen of Puntland. Supporter of PuntExit
Cognitive

Agreed, she bought an illiterate and poor guy, but was he in a position to dictate to Khaadija of his whims as a husband of the 7th century? For example, did he treat his other wives like her?
Don't ever talk about my prophet in such manners. He has 1.8 billion followers, while you're bitter in your mom's basement, may the devil bum rush you in hell. Nacalaa adiga iyo sanjikaga kuyaal.

TooMacaan

VIP
If she was a feminist she would of practised hypergamy and never got with him in the first place also when he confided in her regarding seeing Angel Gabriel she would of told him that he was crazy and an embarrassment for following a religion that's not practice by their forefathers them idols she would of told him that she knows best since she has more wealth than him:siilaanyolaugh:
:ulyin:Hypergamy is actually more popular amongst TradCon women, since they follow the typical gender stereotypes: that men must be the breadwinner. A TradCon woman would never ever propose, as Khadijah did, either (feminism has more variety).

And it seems that not only may Khadijah be a feminist, but so might Muhammad-- since most 'traditional macho-type men' would usually feel way too insecure to marry a woman who earns more, let alone one who is both his boss and also older in age. As for the Angel Gabriel thing, that says more about her character as an individual than whether she's a feminist or not (although religious feminists do exist).

Last edited:

Cognitivedissonance

Stay WOKE
VIP
Cognitive

Agreed, she bought an illiterate and poor guy, but was he in a position to dictate to Khaadija of his whims as a husband of the 7th century? For example, did he treat his other wives like her?
From my research prophet Muhammad loved khadijah it was unconditional he even use to remember while he was in the company of his other wives after khadijah passed away may Allah be pleased with her and during the time they were married the prophet didn't have another wife khadijah was his only wife till she passed away & Allah knows best.

Don't ever talk about my prophet in such manners. He has 1.8 billion followers, while you're bitter in your mom's basement, may the devil bum rush you in hell. Nacalaa adiga iyo sanjikaga kuyaal.

Reiko

The Op asked a question and I'm just adding my 2 cents answering his query. Marka be strong with your faith and never let a gaal in his "mums basement" like me turn you into an angry monster. Chill.

Cognitivedissonance

Stay WOKE
VIP
The prophet scw supported women rights, he didn't expect Khadijah R.A to be in the kitchen to cook for him, she ran her own business and the prophet scw help build the business to be more successful.

If you're going to bring up our prophet scw and khadija, atleast be honest with your motives. Don't pick and choose.
Personally I would expect my wife to clean after me and I would help out with the chorus, I agree it's in the sunnah of the prophet he use to do the house work and cook & clean I'm not disputing that what I'm saying is his wife submitted to him as the man once they were married and allowed him to lead their affairs

Cognitivedissonance

Stay WOKE
VIP
Reiko

The Op asked a question and I'm just adding my 2 cents answering his query. Marka be strong with your faith and never let a gaal in his "mums basement" like me turn you into an angry monster. Chill.
You must bear in mind that Muslims love the prophets more than their own immediate family even their own mothers and fathers so I suggest you tread carefully Sheila otherwise hop off this thread like a kangaroo and vamoose back to down under

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts