Walle Sudan is an interesting place

Yukon_Niner

Ugaas of the supreme gentleman
VIP

This is when my world turned upside down. My parents put me in a public school in Doha, where I was surrounded by Arabs from the Gulf, Levant, and North Africa. The kids knew I was an "Arab" but made fun of my accent, hair and skin colour. I had not only lost my privilege but for the first time in my life faced racism and discrimination. I was only 11 years old.

This shift, as well as the realisation that I had been part of the normalisation of anti-Blackness, affected me deeply as a teenager. I would regularly fight with classmates who called me abid (slave) only to go back to my community and hear north Sudanese people like me use the same word for anyone from the non-Arabised tribes. Indeed, the Sudanese people are a prime example of Black people being both the victim and the perpetrator of racism.

Man this is like the ultimate cocktail for an identity crisis. Not gonna lie I laughed at that highlighted part, imagine getting bullied for being dark and then coming home to relatives saying the same shit about darker people?

Reminds me of a Sudanese girl who was in one of my classes years ago. She had Madow hair, wide nose and big lips with light skin (hairy too so she definitely want lying about being an Arab) and made fun of me for my Madow hair. Never understood that until now, I thought she was confused in a different way:wow:

So anyway while browsing r/Arabs that led me onto this

I feel for the guy that sounds humiliating, bit deep. I know someone's gonna go "you have the right to stop your kids marrying a Madow" but come on that's kind of brutal.

Makes me kind of glad I'm not from those afro-arab country's. Why try get acceptance from people who will never accept you? Sounds horrible.

Khalid Albaih is a Romanian-born Sudanese political cartoonist and cultural producer currently living in Denmark, where he is the guest artist of the city of Copenhagen.

This is the author who wrote it, he needs a new career cause this article was complete trash. I already said most Sudanese people who grew up in the west are obsessed with trying to fit in with other black people and have an identity crisis.

Thats not racism its called colourism/tribalism. Even the so called Sudanese Arabs would be considered as black in the west.

Its basically like an ethnic Somali person from the Darod tribe insulting a Somali Bantu person with tribal slurs, in the west they would both be classified as being black.

Last edited:

Marshall D Abdi

Know you’re place peasant
This is the author who wrote it, he needs a new career cause this article was complete trash. I already said most Sudanese people who grew up in the west are obbessed with trying to fit in with other black people and have an identity crisis.

Thats not racism its called colourism/tribalism. Even the so called Sudanese Arabs would be considered as black in the west.

Its basically like an ethnic Somali person from the Darod tribe insulting a Somali Bantu person with tribal slurs, in the west they would both be classified as being black.
Well said but why darood lol

Reminds me of a Sudanese girl who was in one of my classes years ago. She had madow hair, wide nose and big lips with light skin (hairy too so she definitely want lying about being an Arab) and made fun of me for my madow hair. Never understood that until now, I thought she was

Most Sudanese people who live in the west either come from a non-Arab tribe in Sudan or South Sudan. Those guys usually have strong African features and darker skin.

But I'm assuming that you live in the west.

Man this is like the ultimate cocktail for an identity crisis. Not gonna lie I laughed at that highlighted part, imagine getting bullied for being dark and then coming home to relatives saying the same shit about darker people?

Reminds me of a Sudanese girl who was in one of my classes years ago. She had madow hair, wide nose and big lips with light skin (hairy too so she definitely want lying about being an Arab) and made fun of me for my madow hair. Never understood that until now, I thought she was confused in a different way:wow:

So anyway while browsing r/Arabs that led me onto this

I feel for the guy that sounds humiliating, bit deep. I know someone's gonna go "you have the right to stop your kids marrying a madow" but come on that's kind of brutal.

Makes me kind of glad I'm not from those afro-arab country's. Why try get acceptance from people who will never accept you? Sounds horrible.
Wallahi how they can throw a marti that way. Instead of repelling this young man, they could do it to Azkhenazi who occupy their lands. :mjlol:

Sudanese people are good people. They speak best Arabic in the Arab league. Whenever I speak to a Moroccan I switch to English because they’re Arabic is inconceivable.

Prettymuslim94

A man trying to be successful
Sudanese people are good people. They speak best Arabic in the Arab league. Whenever I speak to a Moroccan I switch to English because they’re Arabic is inconceivable.
Moroccan arabic isn't even really arabic. It's darija and it's mixed with Spanish and french along with native berber languages making it sound very strange.

Trending

Latest posts