Wadaad script for Af Somali

Gacanka Cadmeed

انا عربي, سْنْمْ هَنولاتو‌‌‌‌, Free Azawad, 🇾🇪
Somali should use wadaad's writing for af somali as it is the writing our Ancestors used. If we use borama, Kaddare or Osmanya other somalis won't use it because of tribalism. And for the rest of you worried about arabisation remember that Persian uses an Arabic script and nobody that isn't ignorant calls them arabs.

It looks so regal. :rejoice:

220px-Somali_Stone-1.jpg

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
Far Wadaad is too complicated in its original form, in my humble opinion:

Somalis who can read the standard Arabic script or even the more complex Classical Arabic of the Qur'an struggle to fully grasp it. We would be better served using the normal Arabic script with a few revisions to integrate letters like "O" and "G" with more vowel use. You could roll this out fairly easily too as most Somalis, being Muslims, can read the Arabic script.

Gacanka Cadmeed

Somalis who can read the standard Arabic script or even the more complex Classical Arabic of the Qur'an struggle to fully grasp it. We would be better served using the normal Arabic script with a few revisions to integrate letters like "O" and "G" with more vowel use. You could roll this out fairly easily too as most Somalis, being Muslims, can read the Arabic script.
Thank you for your input

Gacanka Cadmeed

G can be represented like گ

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
Thank you for your input

I've been of this opinion for ages:

Said this before myself:

Somalis should have adopted a unique variant of the Arabic script. Arabic and it's script in the form of Far Wadaad was the writing system of literate Somalis for about a millennia. It's the modern and surviving writing system with the most heritage in our culture and should have just been repurposed and kept. There's nothing "Ana Carab" about it either. Iranians, Afghans, Pakistanis and various West-Africans use it to this day due to cultural heritage.

And I never really give credence to the arguments against it like "it's an abjad" because you can fairly easily repurpose the script to incorporate more vowel usage for Somali. It wouldn't even be hard to make the shift now as most Somalis, being Muslims, can read the Arabic script quite well.

I really love the script too and the fact that it just straight up has letters for consonants like ca, xa, kha and gha and naturally has diacritics integrated for long vowels like "aa" or "ee" which Somali is rich in.

alien

📍outer space
VIP
personally don't like it. I would rather we use Osmanya or make a new one. who knows maybe we find an ancient script buried beneath Somalia

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
its garbage. Its an offshoot version of arabic. id rather we use osmanya or make a new one

No one will accept Cismaanya or any of the others due to tribalism, me thinks. And I'd rather not use some recently created script. Better to use something our ancestors have been writing with for about a millennia. Has a heritage to it. And we will look more like a sort of civilizational block with the rest of the Islamic world.

Gacanka Cadmeed

No one will accept Cismaanya or any of the others due to tribalism, me thinks. And I'd rather not use some recently created script. Better to use something our ancestors have been writing with for about a millennia. Has a heritage to it. And we will look more like a sort of civilizational block with the rest of the Islamic world.
That's right. Osmanya won't be able to be used outside Puntland and will have to be taught to everyone. But even the most isolated Geeljire will know how to read Arabic letters.

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
That's right. Osmanya won't be able to be used outside Puntland and will have to be taught to everyone. But even the most isolated Geeljire will know how to read Arabic letters.

Yeah, I honestly even question how "illiterate" Somali nomads historically were because in both the north and the south going back to the 1800s you read about kids being taught the Qur'an by wandering Wadaads and using these traditional wooden boards to read it and write it:

ao4Nc88.jpg

This is from the 1800s in Koonfur:

ZsOWgDU.jpg

personally don't like it. I would rather we use Osmanya or make a new one. who knows maybe we find an ancient script buried beneath Somalia

Their have been ancient scripts found which predate Islam and are unfortunately undeciphered.

In an 1878 report to the Royal Geographical Society of Great Britain, Johann Maria Hildebrandt noted upon visiting the area that "we know from ancient authors that these districts, at present so desert, were formerly populous and civilised[...] I also discovered ancient ruins and rock-inscriptions both in pictures and characters[...] These have hitherto not been deciphered

According to the Ministry of Information and National Guidance of Somalia, inscriptions can be found on various old Taalo Tiiriyaad structures. These are enormous stone mounds found especially in northeastern Somalia. Among the main sites where these Taalo are located are Xabaalo Ambiyad in Alula District, Baar Madhere in Beledweyne District, and Harti Yimid in Las Anod District.

Yeah, I honestly even question how "illiterate" Somali nomads historically were because in both the north and the south going back to the 1800s you read about kids being taught the Qur'an by wandering Wadaads and using these traditional wooden boards to read it and write it:

ao4Nc88.jpg

This is from the 1800s in Koonfur:

ZsOWgDU.jpg

Where'd you get the images from ?

MT Foxtrot

Anti-qabil
Changing our script now would be far too costly. I think we're better served with using the Latin alphabet. This comment has some ideas about how the script can be further adapted for Somali.

Trending

Latest posts