HISTORY Voices of the past: Hadji Elmi recalling his grandfather signing a treaty with the British

Very interesting though I remember another source that said the same thing and the Gadabuursi cited this clause in later meetings with the British demanding their immediate exit.

The original treaty signed on leather skin in the middle of the sea was last held in Xamar - an Ugaas gave it to the government but I don't know where it is now.

There was also the story where upon the British's imminent exit from Somaliland, they requested to 'see the people we made the treaty with' in order to formalise their exit and on this basis Haji Ibrahin Nur went to London.

NidarNidar

Punisher
Very interesting though I remember another source that said the same thing and the Gadabuursi cited this clause in later meetings with the British demanding their immediate exit.

The original treaty signed on leather skin in the middle of the sea was last held in Xamar - an Ugaas gave it to the government but I don't know where it is now.

There was also the story where upon the British's imminent exit from Somaliland, they requested to 'see the people we made the treaty with' in order to formalise their exit and on this basis Haji Ibrahin Nur went to London.
Alongside those who signed similar deals, the British kept to the coast mostly and didn't really interfere with internal issues.

Sadly that signed treaty is probably in some Arabs collection, Xamar got looted, it would of been safer in the North.

Trending

Latest posts