Using Linux and Compute Stick and a monitor and webcam as a home security solution

Cerberus

I started my own security company Cerberus.
VIP
I got monitor and compute stick for free from work.

I installed Linux on the Intel compute stick as Linux runs faster on it than Windows.

I then installed Zoneminder on the Gentoo Linux.

Then I hooked up a WebCam. Added 256gb high performance MicroSD card.

And Voila I have a home surveillance security system that I can also ads the AI facial recognition and other stuff for event based detection.

Here is my current setup and it watches my car for anyone approaching or trying to break in. It records on event detection. And I can watch from any where I am via IP

20201203_175601.jpg

Bronco

GEELJIRE WITH NO GEEL
I don’t really need it to be fast, it doesn’t serve another purpose. I only have 2 cameras.

How did you get started on that raspberry pi project? They were on sale recently (might still be) and I want to pick one up just because.

Cerberus

I started my own security company Cerberus.
VIP
How did you get started on that raspberry pi project? They were on sale recently (might still be) and I want to pick one up just because.
I tried Raspberry pie myself and OMFG that shit is junk, holy smokes it is so slow that it has a very hard time running even the lightweight Linux Debian distros. GTFO that shit, that British company just makes money selling those things so they can be used for networking stuff that barely needs any gpu or CPU activity.

Bronco

GEELJIRE WITH NO GEEL
I tried Raspberry pie myself and OMFG that shit is junk, holy smokes it is so slow that it has a very hard time running even the lightweight Linux Debian distros. GTFO that shit, that British company just makes money selling those things so they can be used for networking stuff that barely needs any gpu or CPU activity.

I didn't even realize compute sticks were a thing. I'm entirely new to this thing and just want a beginner(ish) friendly project and raspberry pi seems to have a much larger community. Which of course means far more resources available, I suspect.

I might go look for a project and then decide what I buy based on that

repo

Bantu Liberation Movement
VIP
I used the pi for a different project, a motion detecting alarm for anytime someone would enter my room. Since I didn't need it anymore I hooked it up to the cameras to replace my computer. It's a fun thing to pick up and tinker with since it's cheap. As @ozzyoz says the raspberry pi is slow, it can be used to browse but no multitasking.

Trending