Using Jubba River to move cargo

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP
Haven't researched the feasibility of this idea but any reason why moving freight using river barges over the Jubba river would be a bad idea?

It could:

1. Drastically lower shipping costs
2. Provide a tons of jobs in barge manufacturing
3. Open up tens of thousands of hectares of arable farm land.

Wz5idtxvwa9CxiC9avol3lY0khx3IiKSV5lux_1dQMk_Twbr_fwWCE3d7eE3H_m200Z1kx9pdFUGNNb6zXg0MXlRuXd4xeylCj55UB5S5_se3jff0oUanPR8gpWLfagGnwA

The river doesn't even need to be that deep. Plenty of barge designs that just need a feet of clearance.

The river goes through some of our most valuable land in Somalia and could make the policing of AS heartland a lot more viable.

Could also see this as a way to link us to the riches of the Galbeed & Oromo farms.

jubba-river-3b9aa4da-f9f2-47e4-aeb5-28411678df1-resize-750.jpeg

Don't think wild life and security would be much of an issue.

More concerned whether the place is passable and the clearance height of the Baardheere bridge.

I'm sure there must be other obstacles since we've been building boats for centuries but can't seem to find much literature or stories of using our rivers to move goods.

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP
table%201(14).jpg

Expect a minimum 10x cost reductions when compared against our primary method of freight...trucks.

Also barges are relatively simple and we could build them all ourselves...I.e. more jobs and the start of an industry.

Thegoodshepherd

Galkacyo iyo Calula dhexdood
VIP
You would need to straighten he channel of the Juba quite significantly as it meanders too much. But it is a great idea. In Minnesota the Minnesota river, which has a similar water volume to the Juba, is regualrly used to transport grain, fuel, fertilizer and other heavy commodities. The Juba river would need straightening and sand bar removal but it would be very doable.

Minnesota river barge and terminal

Reminded me of this book chapter I read a while back
https://bit.ly/36ZVPMS

Removed

Gif-King
VIP
Haven't researched the feasibility of this idea but any reason why moving freight using river barges over the Jubba river would be a bad idea?

It could:

1. Drastically lower shipping costs
2. Provide a tons of jobs in barge manufacturing
3. Open up tens of thousands of hectares of arable farm land.

Wz5idtxvwa9CxiC9avol3lY0khx3IiKSV5lux_1dQMk_Twbr_fwWCE3d7eE3H_m200Z1kx9pdFUGNNb6zXg0MXlRuXd4xeylCj55UB5S5_se3jff0oUanPR8gpWLfagGnwA

The river doesn't even need to be that deep. Plenty of barge designs that just need a feet of clearance.

The river goes through some of our most valuable land in Somalia and could make the policing of AS heartland a lot more viable.

Could also see this as a way to link us to the riches of the Galbeed & Oromo farms.

jubba-river-3b9aa4da-f9f2-47e4-aeb5-28411678df1-resize-750.jpeg

Don't think wild life and security would be much of an issue.

More concerned whether the place is passable and the clearance height of the Baardheere bridge.

I'm sure there must be other obstacles since we've been building boats for centuries but can't seem to find much literature or stories of using our rivers to move goods.
Someone has tried that in the 1800s with a steamship he apparently reached Bardhere before being attacked and having his ship destroyed.

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP
You would need to straighten he channel of the Juba quite significantly as it meanders too much. But it is a great idea. In Minnesota the Minnesota river, which has a similar water volume to the Juba, is regualrly used to transport grain, fuel, fertilizer and other heavy commodities. The Juba river would need straightening and sand bar removal but it would be very doable.

Minnesota river barge and terminal

Reminded me of this book chapter I read a while back
https://bit.ly/36ZVPMS

Any idea of the costs involved? Is it something we could carry out without the involvement of akme multinational engineering firm?

We wouldn't really need long barges and using a separate tow boats could provide some flexibility.

Was after some MVP setup to help fund further developments.

A single 100 ton capacity barge could probably travel up the river's length once a week with a max cargo capacity of 5,000 tons per year at 5 miles per hour.

That's the equivalent of a 10 ton capacity truck going at 50 km/hr working 24/7.

However at 20% of the costs and probably 10x the ROI.

Assuming most Geeljire in that region live near the river but the roads suck the further you go up north.

Could possibly make goods a ton cheaper in the Galbeed/Oromia so there's more profit to be made than just the fuel savings since the river reaches places where trucks can't go.

Do you have a copy of that? Can't be asked to register.
JSTOR is a digital library and I highly recommend it. If you go to school in the United States, then log-into your school account through the website. If not, then get in touch with a friend that does. You can also register for free and read about 100 articles per month. However, this will come to an end Decenber 31st, 2020 and return to ~10 articles a month.

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP
They don't have the funds to even construct channel locks.

Are locks even needed on the Jubba river? That whole area seems to be flat with no sudden steep elevations but then again I'm basing this off on Google maps...

We just need terminals for midway stops... especially for livestock transportation which would be the main business for it.

Last edited:

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP
Its a good idea but would require docks that need to be leveled to grade.

Docks for river barges will be one of the biggest expenses with this but it shouldn't be prohibitively expensive compared to normal docks.

That and widening some narrow parts of the river.

repo

Bantu Liberation Movement
VIP
@RasCanjero widening the river will not be an option according to Ethiopia the Juba will lose 20% of its water in less than 20 years. If that's what they admit on paper, I wouldn't be surprised if it's more.

8EzXG7h[1].png

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP
@RasCanjero widening the river will not be an option according to Ethiopia the Juba will lose 20% of its water in less than 20 years. If that's what they admit on paper, I wouldn't be surprised if it's more.

View attachment 124093

Hopefully there'll be enough or a way around it.

Just don't see us able to cut transportation costs using the conventional route of highways and trucks.

Trains are cool but you need good governance and political will for that size of a project.

However with a much smaller investment we could potential open up our most valuable lands and more importantly products produced there or in the galbeed would be more competitive overall.

Currently transportation takes up a huge percentage of the prices of goods in Somalia.

If we're able to reduce this then we could open up commercially viable farms in the hinterlands and connect disparate nomadic communities to our wider economic net.

Thegoodshepherd

Galkacyo iyo Calula dhexdood
VIP
@sincity the good thing is that the land in which the Juba flows inside Ethiopia is mountainous/hilly and is mostly unsuitable for irrigation. Ethiopia is currently not using more than 1% of the river's flow for agriculture. Total irrigated land on the Genale (Juba) is, in my opinion, less than 1000 hectares. I greatly doubt that Ethiopia will be able to abstract that much water by 2038. Ethiopia has been trying to develop the Awash basin for 70 years and it has basically failed. The dams they are placing on the Genale will silt up before 2050.

Trending

Latest posts