Unemployed and can't land a job

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manafesto

[[Puntland Republic πŸ‡ΈπŸ‡±]]PIM[[C.S(BihinYusuf)]
VIP
HalimoEnthusiast
I have been wondering for a long time whether or not I am able to keep living in a world where I can't seem to land a decent job.

I have put myself through many things over the years to try and make myself a reasonable, qualified worker: I have over 10+ years of work experience in computer science and programming, went to accredited business schools and earned valuable degrees, and even started joining networking groups to meet new people from different backgrounds.

I am not an industry-centric person so I can pretty much work for any company as long as it is enough to financially support myself.

I am also someone who is willing to go through constant training to learn more about a specific job or field(which recently I did by going back to school again and get a certification in Digital Marketing). They say it's who you know that can help you get a job these days, but, unfortunately, nobody that I know has helped me to actually land a job yet.

People have told me that I should go and start my own little project/business and just do something myself, but the reality is that you need the finances to properly do that.

I can't afford to be an entrepreneur at the moment. I have also tried seeing a career coach which helped for a bit but they cost money as well and they've been mostly advising me on stuff that I've already been doing.

So now it's been almost 8 months since I've been let go from my last job. My unemployment funds are almost dried up and soon I will be dipping into my own savings(which is not much).

I just had an office interview the other day that went pretty well. The folks that I was interviewed by seemed to get along with me. I even got as far as reference check calls right after the interview. And here is where I think I might not be getting a job offer from this place: my reference from my last job. When they let me go, they simply just said that it was no longer a good fit for me.

They made me sign a termination form with a simple 2-word description explaining the reason for termination: job performance. That could mean many things! I even asked them if they could explain to me specifically what it was. You know, provide me some valuable feedback so that I can work on it for the future. The supervisor didn't give me any specifics whatsoever.

The only thing that my manager mentioned to me was, " I think you have a lot of potential, and I think you should work on your critical thinking skills a bit". The critical thinking criticism is pretty debatable, but I won't get into that since this rant is already going on too long.

Bottom line: I can't find a job and I don't think that I have a good reference from my last employer.

Has anyone here had to deal with an unreliable reference from one of their employers. If so, how did you deal with it?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been wondering for a long time whether or not I am able to keep living in a world where I can't seem to land a decent job.

I have put myself through many things over the years to try and make myself a reasonable, qualified worker: I have over 10+ years of work experience in computer science and programming, went to accredited business schools and earned valuable degrees, and even started joining networking groups to meet new people from different backgrounds.

I am not an industry-centric person so I can pretty much work for any company as long as it is enough to financially support myself.

I am also someone who is willing to go through constant training to learn more about a specific job or field(which recently I did by going back to school again and get a certification in Digital Marketing). They say it's who you know that can help you get a job these days, but, unfortunately, nobody that I know has helped me to actually land a job yet.

People have told me that I should go and start my own little project/business and just do something myself, but the reality is that you need the finances to properly do that.

I can't afford to be an entrepreneur at the moment. I have also tried seeing a career coach which helped for a bit but they cost money as well and they've been mostly advising me on stuff that I've already been doing.

So now it's been almost 8 months since I've been let go from my last job. My unemployment funds are almost dried up and soon I will be dipping into my own savings(which is not much).

I just had an office interview the other day that went pretty well. The folks that I was interviewed by seemed to get along with me. I even got as far as reference check calls right after the interview. And here is where I think I might not be getting a job offer from this place: my reference from my last job. When they let me go, they simply just said that it was no longer a good fit for me.

They made me sign a termination form with a simple 2-word description explaining the reason for termination: job performance. That could mean many things! I even asked them if they could explain to me specifically what it was. You know, provide me some valuable feedback so that I can work on it for the future. The supervisor didn't give me any specifics whatsoever.

The only thing that my manager mentioned to me was, " I think you have a lot of potential, and I think you should work on your critical thinking skills a bit". The critical thinking criticism is pretty debatable, but I won't get into that since this rant is already going on too long.

Bottom line: I can't find a job and I don't think that I have a good reference from my last employer.

Has anyone here had to deal with an unreliable reference from one of their employers. If so, how did you deal with it?

You're either shit at your job or have personality flaws...

If you think it's the latter read/listen to this

Git gud at social interactions.

If it's the former you're fucked.

what country you in bro? UK?

chnage your name or atleast test a new name on CV and if you get the job, chnage your name, not if you get interview, just the job, pick the most english name if yuor from UK, Adam Kent-Eaton Sinclair,

or do hat i did, send minimum 5-10 CVs a day, non stop for 2 months and see what sticks, do it automatically, REGISTER WITH JOB SITES and just hit apply,

make sure CV is good, spend some little money, i hired some naag from fiverr once, she also do my cover letter

build a niche, stick to one niche, in yuor sector, like in economics for me i applied for theoretical econnomics or if your in logistics, stick to parcels like dhl,ups, amazon, not retail logisitics etc, do one thing

after i did this i was being approached by 5 recruiters a week on average, i just strated sending Cvs left right and center , the number of powers,

or just start a business, you can sell on amazon, ebay and be self employed

i am really surprised you cannot land a job with computer science, in Uk you jump the immigration visa queue if you have that degree,

also go to job fairs in your town or bigger cities and bring 100 prinited Cvs and cover letters and hand them out,

lasrtly, ever heard of the power of No brother?

its an amazing book, it says go look for no/rejection, let that be your target rather than yes and this changed my mine set, people avoid rejection,

also lastly, something amazing happens whern you randomly call companies and say hey i want to apply and send my cv, be nice, and tell her you need a job, looking for a job,

lastly, avoid indians, non whites- whites are the most reasonable in giving you a job, Chinese, indians, are xaasid, they will cock block you, so look for white secretary

another amazing book so good yet we hardly know much about this genius author,

john mcdonald, the message of a master, 1929, classic, reprinted in late 1990s,

success secrets, how to focus and obtain your goals,

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP
Not everyone can be an employee.

Just polish up the marketable skills you have and go freelance.

You'll need decent sales and communication skills to pull in long term clients though.

However once you pull it off you can easily earn more than your current salary and work less hours.

Put those extra hours into scaling your business so you don't have to continuously learn new technologies and instead hire others to do that grunt work.

why not apply in the middle East?

Basra

LOVE is a product of Doqoniimo mixed with lust
Let Them Eat Cake
VIP

U r also someone with mental illness. You hear voices. All the degrees in the world wont help you until you take your medication huuno.

DL5O-goUQAA_kXN.jpg

we-talked-to-a-university-drug-dealer-about-selling-to-first-years-on-campus-1441808485.jpg

If you suspect a negative reference from your last job is preventing you from gaining a new job, stop using that old job on your reference.

Consider fabricating references ---directing calls to friends who can sound professional on the phone and who will give you a glowing reference. Also change your resume to match these fake references. E.g. You worked at Shirwa I.T Solutions and Sulyem Ahmed was your manager, who will say you were one of the brightest thinkers to ever work for him. In reality, this is Ahmed from down the street using a google voice #.

When you get a new job based on the fake reference, perform well at the new job and then transition out. Then you can have a real, good reference.

If you are not interested in going down this route, consider threatening your previous employer with a lawsuit if they do not cease and desist from giving you a bad reference. Allege that your dismissal and negative reviews were an act of discrimination against you as a Somalian refugee. Go to a lawyer and pay $200 for them to send a very threatening letter. Employers will generally stop giving bad references rather than risk a lawsuit.

Also, instead of applying to big companies, try applying to smaller community organizations, local governments, non-profits, and other civic-minded groups that need computer and I.T people.

It's generally easier to get hired, they are more forgiving, the jobs are easy and pay decent enough, and the experiences you gain from them can help you transition to other roles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts