UK Grading disaster...... make Dua for all the hardworking children praying for a miracle to make college, ameen.

x z

±somali supremacist, anti-inceI&queen in the north
It's been all over the news, UK kids have by in large failed to get into college, due to getting low grades from exams they never even sat. I don't know anyone personally affected, but the stories on social media are so sad wallahi, bright kids who have been achieving high in their practice exams and predicted high by their teahcers, have been given low exam grades. The Algorithm apparently is based on not your academic merit, but your school performance and area post code. So schools in rich areas with so called brighter kids aren't as suffering as kids in poorer schools who have been graded down due to proximity. This is sad as I was always impressed with the cohort of not only Somali, but poorer socieconomic backgrounds in great prestigious schools as it shows hard work outperforms poverty and poor upbrigingin, but now they are being held back by a system that's meant to lift them up.

If the kids appeals' (there have been hundreds of thousands made already, way more than ever before according to Sky News) are not successful, the kids will have to redo a whole year. Not sure why they never sat there exams, it could easily have been socially distanced. The most amount of work is done by students during the build up to exams, so it's not fair to judge what the kid will get by practice exams which they may or may not have taken as important as real exams. An average kids grade will go through two stages of downgrading - first by your teachers, who will try and humble you by not giving you the highest prediction, then the exam centre will take an already humbled grade and humble you further. This system is so bad and suprising from a country like UK.

I never really understood UK college entrance exams, but I'm pretty sure ALL of what the kids have been working for, since kindergarten, weighs heavy on these exams, so there is even more pressure than say in Canada or US, where attainments are not purely based on exams. Let's all pray for them, inshallah.

Here's a Somali kid who is going through this harrowing process now:

Anorher (seemingly) Somali kid with same issue, feel bad for them and their parents, who no doubt pushed them as much as they could. After school Tuiton is a thing I have seen in enormity mainly in UK somalis.

Another similar issue:

Last edited:

DRACO

VIP
Predicated grades are not a given. The data shows an average inflation of 12% on predicated grades, so when the media claims that many students were unfairly 'downgraded' they probably weren't since teachers have been inflating grades. Now those who were downgrade can Appeal , use their march mock exams as their grade, or Re-sit their exam in November.

Last edited:

x z

Predicated grades are not a given. The data shows an average inflation of 12% on predicated grades, so when the media claims that many students were unfairly 'downgraded' they probably weren't since teachers have been inflated grades. Now those who were downgrade can 1) Appeal , 2) Use the march mock exams as their grade, or 3) Re-sit their exam in November.

That's not the point. Of course many will not achieve their prediction, but there is a big difference between a prediction of all A's, and getting B's or one C, than getting exam results for a exam you have never sat, that say you have D's - especially when you have never even got that low in practice examinations

Many places are not offering November exams.

Prime Minister

Somali Promotion Agent
If you are poor and smart you are given a bad prediction and if you are rich and stupid you are given a good prediction. Maybe we in the UK should rethink the Black Lives Matter movement because we need some affirmative action in this place.

x z

If you are poor and smart you are given a bad prediction and if you are rich and stupid you are given a good prediction. Maybe we in the UK should rethink the Black Lives Matter movement because we need some affirmative action in this place.

Does it even exist at all in the UK? When I started college I didn't hear of a single person who got in through that, and have never heard about it too.

But yeah you're right, the poorer kids are somehow to blame for their schools poor performance and general low socio-economic status.

DRACO

VIP
That's not the point. Of course many will not achieve their prediction, but there is a big difference between a prediction of all A's, and getting B's or one C, than getting exam results for a exam you have never sat, that say you have D's - especially when you have never even got that low in practice examinations

Many places are not offering November exams.
Tbh i doubt many are getting a lower grade than they deserve. My brother and cousins got their predicted A-levels or above this year. If you read behind the media headlines you will find not much substance to their claims.

Last edited:

x z

Tbh i doubt many are getting a lower grade than they deserve. My brother and cousins got their predicated A-levels or above this year. If you read behind the media headlines you will find not much substance to their claims.

Ok, same way your brother and cousins got their 'predicated' (predicted) grades, many did not. The grading system is defunct and educators and students alike have pointed this out. No other developed nation has done something similar. There is more than enough substance behind many claims.

Prime Minister

Somali Promotion Agent
Does it even exist at all in the UK? When I started college I didn't hear of a single person who got in through that, and have never heard about it too.

But yeah you're right, the poorer kids are somehow to blame for their schools poor performance and general low socio-economic status.

It's affirmative action for rich kids. The most they used to do is give kids EMA but they cut that too.

Prime Minister

Somali Promotion Agent
Tbh i doubt many are getting a lower grade than they deserve. My brother and cousins got their predicted A-levels or above this year. If you read behind the media headlines you will find not much substance to their claims.
Many people will get lower grade simply for being poor this is not debatable.

Education secretary 'ignoring' warnings that poor and ethnic minority pupils will suffer when predicted grades replace exams

Runnymede Trust says under-fire Gavin Williamson was alerted in April, telling MPs: 'We still haven’t had a response'

A levels are hard and these students never sat these exams so we don't know what they would have achieved. Alhamdulilah my mock exams and predicted grades weren't used when did a levels those racist cadaan teachers tried predict me CCC and i got way higher. I went to all of them and told them to go f*ck themselves on results day.

Plus they're using previous results from schools which is why private school students aren't getting downgraded since their students achieve those grades, the majority of state school kids don't achieve similar grades, but their teachers predcited grades were higher than previous results resulting in their results being downgraded.

They should examine those students who want their grades to be increased that's the only fair way

Calaf

Veni Vidi Vici
2022 CHESS CHAMP
GENERALISSIMO
VIP
1597522950161.png

This speaks volumes.

Calaf

Veni Vidi Vici
2022 CHESS CHAMP
GENERALISSIMO
VIP
Predicted grades??? Algorithm? Wth is going on in the UK?
View attachment 137609
GCSE and ALevels exams got cancelled due to COVID-19
They gave it based on teacher prediction , but they fucked it up and used a computer based algorithm depending on the school and the area and the ranking the student is.

Happy_

Laa ta aamin nin wa law kaana ninkaaga- bom!
GCSE and ALevels exams got cancelled due to COVID-19
They gave it based on teacher prediction , but they fucked it up and used a computer based algorithm depending on the school and the area and the ranking the student is.
Subhan’allah, the kids have to sue them. They shouldnt accept it, wthhh?

Trending

Latest posts