UK,1952: Innocent Somali man hanged

I think one of the sons passed away.
Here is a family photo.
Laura-Mattan-wife-of-Mahmood-Mattan-pictured-with-her-three-sons-left-to-right-David-Omar-and-Mervyn.jpg

I don't think so, Somalis have an early immigrant community in Bristol.

https://www.bristolmuseums.org.uk/stories/somalis-in-bristol/
Yeah but he was a seaman in Wales there were only a few somali men there at the time employed in something ship or port related and definitely no somali women about so in his situation it made sense for him to marry a white women since that was all there was about.

It's the equivalent of someone finding a job opportunity in rural China which would lead to only having Chinese women available to marry although today its easier and safer to travel so you can just go back to the motherland if there are no somalis about and bring your wife back with you.

Last edited:

AbdiFreedom

Staff Member
That family became very troubled after their father's death. One of the sons killed himself and the other became a bank robber. I thought he also had a daughter who also killed herself but I may be confusing her for being the child of another famous Somali man in the UK.

Growing up, people would insult me for being Somali.
That sounds terrible; did not grow up in King's Cross area, did you?

That family became very troubled after their father's death. One of the sons killed himself and the other became a bank robber. I thought he also had a daughter who also killed herself but I may be confusing her for being the child of another famous Somali man in the UK.
Yes, horrible indeed. I remember reading terrible ordeal befalling the family post his death.

Khaemwaset

Djiboutian πŸ‡©πŸ‡― | 𐒖𐒆𐒄A𐒗𐒃 πŸ‡ΈπŸ‡΄
VIP
The UK is a tough place for Somalis. Growing up, people would insult me for being Somali.
Yeah Somalis don't really have many allies here in the UK.
But instead of making me assimilate into black "british" culture i just became a nationalist who isn't too fond of certain people on this depressing island.
No hatred though since there hasn't been an attack on my somali-ness in quite a while so i've mostly chilled and just wanna focus on being with my people in the future

CALMONE20###

Roots in Somaliland + Somali Region ✝️
Yeah Somalis don't really have many allies here in the UK.
But instead of making me assimilate into black "british" culture i just became a nationalist who isn't too fond of certain people on this depressing island.
No hatred though since there hasn't been an attack on my somali-ness in quite a while so i've mostly chilled and just wanna focus on being with my people in the future
Mashallah walaal. I don't understand why madow people in the uk hate us,but are cool with habeshas. Waa arin yaab ah.

Khaemwaset

Djiboutian πŸ‡©πŸ‡― | 𐒖𐒆𐒄A𐒗𐒃 πŸ‡ΈπŸ‡΄
VIP
In your area,were there many madows? In southwest London, there are lots of carribeans and west africans.
In nw i grew up with many south asians and madows and Arabs. I saw a few somalis here and there but we are far too scattered to form a strong community in my area.

Trending