Types of manufacturing plants somalia needs

We all know the country needs big projects. Obviously the cost of major manufacturing plants are in the millions of dollars so lets leave that for governments and large investors.

One of the best things for a developing economy is obviously manufacturing, and while everybody wants to build hotels most everyday items are imported. If someone was to make these in the country mostly using raw materials found within, this would no doubt be a boost for the economy, create much needed jobs, export to neighbouring countries, cheaper affordable products etc.

So I have just put a few ideas many of which are your small to medium type of manufacturing plants which somali entreprenuers can surely afford. Feel free to add some more.

I know there are plenty of water plants, soap and detergents, cement, tiles. These are overly saturated, time for exploring others. Feel free to add more.

Furniture factory.

Furniture is an indispensable item for homes, schools, business premises etc. Everybody is in need of tables, chairs, sofas, beds, wardrobes etc.

milk and yogurt factory
So somalis are big milk drinkers why not create a factory that packages milk into cartons and supplies supermarkets and hotels not to mention the potential for yogurt and ice cream, cheese, and other dairy related products.

Leather
Leather products are always in great demand. Small items made of leather can be created easily with the help of simple tools and machinery. They can do this with animal skin, goats and camels. Etc

Manufacturing of school / office stationery items – Low cost manufacturing business
There is regular demand for stationary items for offices and schools. Files, folders, pens, books, pencil, eraser, sharpener. Let's make this in the country cutting the need for exports for these.

Automobile Parts manufacturing – High profits manufacturing business
Automobile industry is flourishing in every part of the country. All the automobiles industry needs spare parts to be assembled their units. If you possess good business skills and have substantial finance capacity, you can start this busines

Honey making idea
The business of honey making is associated with bee farming. It is one of the easiest business ideas that can be started with low cost. This has potential for export as somali honey is as good as the world famous Yemeni honey.

Packaging factory that is eco friendly: turning plant based waste into bags, disposable paper plates and cups..
Let's face it packaging must be nightmare always imported from India or dubai, coffee shops, restaurants, stores need boxes, plates, glasses, and cups, bags.

Manufacturing of kitchen utensils /cutleries
The demand for kitchen utensils and cutleries is constant as they are items of regular use. Fashionable and designer cutleries and utensils are always in great demand. So, it can be a good business idea.

Rooble44

Bishop of the order of Gacanta Furan ✋
Bro if money was not an issue, which one would you business would you see yourself doing and why?

Bro if money was not an issue, which one would you business would you see yourself doing and why?

I would probably think of the most profitable business, considering costs of running a manufacturing plant isnt cheap specially due to the high costs of electricity in somalia.

Honey making, create a organic bee farm and then with a factory that has machinery for storing, packaging, labelling in jars, of local honey with the intention selling all over the country and possibly for export.

Packaging factory
I can see this being a success since most companies import packaging, you could meet the needs of many, even better if you use eco friendly bags, boxes since plastic is a big issue. I doubt this will be cheap properly due to the raw materials not being avaible in the country.

Milk and yogurt plant
I dont know if this exists already but we need hygienic locally produced milk and yogurt I could definitely see this been a success. Even cheese or ice cream. I know someone that opened a pizza place and struggled with getting cheese.

My grandfathers brother owned INKAS which was Somalia's only plastic factory during the kacaan era. Sadly no longer in operation but they made millions. It is possible but the factories were in Jamaame and Kismaayo both Shabaab controlled territory.

My grandfathers brother owned INKAS which was Somalia's only plastic factory during the kacaan era. Sadly no longer in operation but they made millions. It is possible but the factories were in Jamaame and Kismaayo both Shabaab controlled territory.

Interesting, I suppose jamaame and kismayo are great location for manufacturing. Did everything get looted could they not re start it.

If money wasn't an issue i'd have a cement plant. That plant would have a side plant which would be making precasts(search it) these precasts would be used to make residential buildings and mid/high rise buildings.

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP
Back to the basics:

1. Tractor manufacturer. Only way to increase agriculture yields. With that land becomes a lot more valuable and would act as a stabilizing factor since once you have assets you want political stability.
  2. Solar or Wind turbines manufacturing plant. Not that high tech but huge investments required. Would allow other factories to run competitively and would also bring us energy independence since we have some of the highest solar & wind resources. Easily able to compete with grid natural gas in Somalia.
  3. Cement plant since it's the skeleton of an economy. From highways, factories, schools and ports you need cement for everything. Importing this vital material is idiotic especially with our abundant limestone deposits.
  4. Steel plants. Build this and we'll be on a fast track to a mid income economy. No need for exotic alloys. Just boring steel would transform our economy overnight.

2 billion in cash and 8 billion in loans would pay for all of the above. 1 billion if you want to build it TIA style.

I think that's becoming less and less of an issue, apart from the few remaining al shabab hotspots I think many parts of south and central and north of the country is safe enough.

This guy said "safety in Somalia is less and less of an issue."

You must be on Khat saxiib. Let me quickly burst your bubble.

15th 0ctober 2020 - 13 Somali troops have been killed by Al-shabaab in the district of Afgoye.
11th September 2020 - At least six people have been killed by Al-shabaab in Kismayo.

Let me not mention what happened in October 2017.

Al-Shabaab currently collects more revenue than the Federal Somali Government (11 million a month)

Safety is not an issue though right?

This guy said "safety in Somalia is less and less of an issue."

You must be on Khat saxiib. Let me quickly burst your bubble.

15th 0ctober 2020 - 13 Somali troops have been killed by Al-shabaab in the district of Afgoye.
11th September 2020 - At least six people have been killed by Al-shabaab in Kismayo.

Let me not mention what happened in October 2017.

Al-Shabaab currently collects more revenue than the Federal Somali Government (11 million a month)

Safety is not an issue though right?

Do you have a reading comprehension issue! I said in most areas. If you can set up your business in 70% of the country why you be worried about the few places that you can't. It's a big country dont tar it with the same brush!

Do you think the world is safe? Do you live in a bubble? many places have dangerous things going on does that mean life stops.

If money wasn't an issue i'd have a cement plant. That plant would have a side plant which would be making precasts(search it) these precasts would be used to make residential buildings and mid/high rise buildings.

I think there are few cement factories if am not mistaken but the more the merrier.

Back to the basics:

1. Tractor manufacturer. Only way to increase agriculture yields. With that land becomes a lot more valuable and would act as a stabilizing factor since once you have assets you want political stability.
  2. Solar or Wind turbines manufacturing plant. Not that high tech but huge investments required. Would allow other factories to run competitively and would also bring us energy independence since we have some of the highest solar & wind resources. Easily able to compete with grid natural gas in Somalia.
  3. Cement plant since it's the skeleton of an economy. From highways, factories, schools and ports you need cement for everything. Importing this vital material is idiotic especially with our abundant limestone deposits.
  4. Steel plants. Build this and we'll be on a fast track to a mid income economy. No need for exotic alloys. Just boring steel would transform our economy overnight.

2 billion in cash and 8 billion in loans would pay for all of the above. 1 billion if you want to build it TIA style.

Yes agree! although you would require a very large investment for many of these and we're not there yet but nonetheless things I would consider working on if I was minister of economy.

This isn't on the list but a recycling plant. We don't have many large scale recycling going on in the country. Too many regions have issues with waste disposal which could be greatly reduced.

If successful there could be a plant in every major city and citizens could receive a commission or discount vouchers if they contribute.

repo

Bantu Liberation Movement
VIP
What kind of plastics?

OffTheDome

Proud American
A Cement factory would be big, I don't wanna keep importing cement from Oman or whatever gulf country it's imported from

Milk and yogurt plant
I dont know if this exists already but we need hygienic locally produced milk and yogurt I could definitely see this been a success. Even cheese or ice cream. I know someone that opened a pizza place and struggled with getting cheese.

there is actually a dairy factory in Xamar which produces milks, yoghurts & cheeses

their operation is still small-scale however business is going very well for them maa sha Allah

Trending