Twitter thread: Puntland and Decentralisation

I seen people decry Puntland was already too decentralized but this is the first time I seen someone actively argue the exact opposite. Points come across succinctly and are backed with evidence as well. I shared only a few tweets since the thread is quite long. Reer PL what are you thoughts?

Jiron

wanaag
NABADOON
VIP
Whatever system we choose, we can make it work. We just have to trust and love each other. Very simple and it works, want what u want for ur brother :)

AbdiGeedi

To keep your balance, you must keep moving.
Decentalization is a two-edged sword. Clear boundaries between the federal government and the states should be set. Right now it seems the leaders of the FMS are drunk with independence foreplays. Power corrupts on both levels. Sacrifices for the common good of all Somalis are far more important than the regional gorilla style chest-beatings of "Me, me, me....."

These tweets show each edge:

decentralization2.PNG

decentralization1.PNG

Manafesto

[[Puntland Republic 🇸🇱]]PIM[[C.S(BihinYusuf)]
VIP
HalimoEnthusiast
Young Libax is one of the smartest Punitites on Twitter,Mashalah I am proud of him for this informative thread.:salute:

Whatever system we choose, we can make it work. We just have to trust and love each other. Very simple and it works, want what u want for ur brother :)
Did you read the thread fully sxb? It's not just about changing systems but making it more dynamic so the people have a stronger voice.
Decentalization is a two-edged sword. Clear boundaries between the federal government and the states should be set. Right now it seems the leaders of the FMS are drunk with independence foreplays. Power corrupts on both levels. Sacrifices for the common good of all Somalis are far more important than the regional gorilla style chest-beatings of "Me, me, me....."

These tweets show each edge:

View attachment 137618

View attachment 137619
Leaders of the FMS abide by the provincial constituion, its the FGS who constantly violates it. Fixing that relationship is on the onus of the FGS who has avoided finalizing the constituion. Expand on what you mean by "sacrifices for the common good". That certain regions shouldn't pursue development projects and leave it for other states? The thread is about governance and service delivery in Puntland specifically so stop going on a unrelated tangent.
Young Libax is one of the smartest Punitites on Twitter,Mashalah I am proud of him for this informative thread.:salute:
Yeah I began following him last year, informative and hilarious account all around.

AbdiGeedi

To keep your balance, you must keep moving.
Expand on what you mean by "sacrifices for the common good". That certain regions shouldn't pursue development projects and leave it for other states? The thread is about governance and service delivery in Puntland specifically so stop going on a unrelated tangent.
I was referring to this:
Leaders view the state as a source of income to be looted and shared amongst their supporters versus a tool and legal framework to better the lives of their citizens.

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP
A decentralized Puntland wouldn't be able to stand up against Somaliland.

Some departments like foreign affairs or strategic resources can't be divided up so you'll end up like the South.

Puntite supremacist think they're from a better creed than those in the chaotic South but what they don't realize is what saved them is their stable hierarchical political system that's similar to Somaliland's.

Take that away and you get Jubbaland or worse Xamar.

Crow

Make Hobyo Great Again
VIP
A decentralized Puntland wouldn't be able to stand up against Somaliland.

Some departments like foreign affairs or strategic resources can't be divided up so you'll end up like the South.

Puntite supremacist think they're from a better creed than those in the chaotic South but what they don't realize is what saved them is their stable hierarchical political system that's similar to Somaliland's.

Take that away and you get Jubbaland or worse Xamar.
The thread is not about decentralizing foreign affairs or even the military, but service delivery, development, and management. Whether those are centralized or decentralized, there will be a negligible effect on Puntland's security.

The idea is to bring government closer to the people, making it more efficient and effective. Rwanda's healthcare system is a good example of this. It delivers some of the best care in the continent and is managed by 30 districts.

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP
The thread is not about decentralizing foreign affairs or even the military, but service delivery, development, and management. Whether those are centralized or decentralized, there will be a negligible effect on Puntland's security.

The idea is to bring government closer to the people, making it more efficient and effective. Rwanda's healthcare system is a good example of this. It delivers some of the best care in the continent and is managed by 30 districts.

Oh didn't read the info dump. Just got triggered by the title.

That could work but accountability is a problem if genuine elections only happen at the state level.

I know Puntland is better at local democracy than most the other regions but the buck doesn't just stop at the mayoral level...

There needs to be elections for every major public office like the head of local police, county attorney general etc.

The reason why a more centralized system is better is simply because that's the only place where citizens have a voice in most cases.

Someone in Eyl probably has more control over state taxes and policy than they have over which cousin the Mayor puts in charge of the police or local taxes.

Thegoodshepherd

Galkacyo iyo Calula dhexdood
VIP
@Crow I am not sure it makes sense for Puntland to try and make every district economically viable. Rwanda is a small country with a population roughly equal to that of Somalia in an area about the same as Nugaal.

Puntland's geography is already very bad compared to that of southern Somalia or Somaliland. Our main cities are very far from each other, and our population is not concentrated anywhere. Southern Somalia has a core in Lower&Middle Shabelle and Banadir. Somaliland has the triangle of Burco, Berbera, Hargeisa, meanwhile Puntland is a long corridor from galkacyo to Bosaso. This is incredibly inefficient any way you look at it. Much of Puntland's income goes to transportation costs, and we are forced to provide governmental services to too many settlements.

Puntland needs a core, and if that is not possible, as few cores as possible. We should not decentralize anything. As a matter of fact, the government should pull back its services. The government should choose at most 2 cities and focus all of its development efforts there. If people want healthcare, an education, clean running water, electricity etc.. they would have to urbanize or pay for it themselves. There is no reason why the government of Puntland should provide any services to all regions, some have to be sacrificed. If I were in charge, I would spend $50 million a year on Garowe and the other $50 million on Bosaso. I would not even dig a borehole, or build a single classroom anywhere else. It is harsh but when your per capita income is $800, all you have are difficult decisions. We cannot afford to deliver basic government services to more than a dozen district. You have to chose winners and losers.

@Crow I am not sure it makes sense for Puntland to try and make every district economically viable. Rwanda is a small country with a population roughly equal to that of Somalia in an area about the same as Nugaal.

Puntland's geography is already very bad compared to that of southern Somalia or Somaliland. Our main cities are very far from each other, and our population is not concentrated anywhere. Southern Somalia has a core in Lower&Middle Shabelle and Banadir. Somaliland has the triangle of Burco, Berbera, Hargeisa, meanwhile Puntland is a long corridor from galkacyo to Bosaso. This is incredibly inefficient any way you look at it. Much of Puntland's income goes to transportation costs, and we are forced to provide governmental services to too many settlements.

Puntland needs a core, and if that is not possible, as few cores as possible. We should not decentralize anything. As a matter of fact, the government should pull back its services. The government should choose at most 2 cities and focus all of its development efforts there. If people want healthcare, an education, clean running water, electricity etc.. they would have to urbanize or pay for it themselves. There is no reason why the government of Puntland should provide any services to all regions, some have to be sacrificed. If I were in charge, I would spend $50 million a year on Garowe and the other $50 million on Bosaso. I would not even dig a borehole, or build a single classroom anywhere else. It is harsh but when your per capita income is $800, all you have are difficult decisions. We cannot afford to deliver basic government services to more than a dozen district. You have to chose winners and losers.
You have to play the right moves with the cards you're dealt as a region and that means making extremely tough decisions.

FBIsomalia

True Puntlander
VIP

If PL went that way, then PL as you know will be divided and finish. Dhulbahantii was hating MJ for that since Cadi Musa iyo Faroole AUN. dont provide developments only goes to Garowe,Bossaso and Galgacio. In AY AUN and Cadi AUN ,PL were as you mention but soon didn't work. Faroole came to power and start to fix it by saying the first government PL goes outside the main road!!. Gaas and Deni went in the same way and PL as unity is better each time than it was in Faroole and Cadi AUN era.

We choice this because PL is for everyone even its mean less income but in return more unity. Just check the developments in each area in PL. From Sanaag to Galgadob, From Garcaad to Eyl. PL will be powerful state in the coming years inshalla.

Last edited:
If PL went that way, then PL as you know you will divided and finish. Dhulbahantii was hating MJ for that since Cadi Musa iyo Faroole AUN. dont provide developments only goes to Garowe,Bossaso and Galgacio. In AY AUN and Cadi AUN ,PL were as you mention but soon didn't work. Faroole came to power and start to fix it by saying the first government PL goes outside the main road!!. Gaas and Deni went in the same way and PL as unity is better each time than it was in Faroole and Cadi AUN era.

We choice this because PL is for everyone even its mean less income but in return more unity. Just check the developments in each area in PL. From Sanaag to Galgadob, From Garcaad to Eyl. PL will be powerful state in the coming years inshalla.

“If PL went that way, then PL as you know you will divided and finish.”

Then why do you want Somalia to go that way ??! Wallahi waa yaab

FBIsomalia

True Puntlander
VIP

Im talking about centralism that lead PL to be weak and divided in AY and Cadi Musa AUN era. In here Im advising to be more decentralization and put the eggs in different baskets.

CanoGeel

"Show respect to all people, but grovel to none"

War u were bright lad, ma qaad ba biloday:ulyin:. Ur comprehension decline is alarming

Thegoodshepherd

Galkacyo iyo Calula dhexdood
VIP
If PL went that way, then PL as you know will be divided and finish. Dhulbahantii was hating MJ for that since Cadi Musa iyo Faroole AUN. dont provide developments only goes to Garowe,Bossaso and Galgacio. In AY AUN and Cadi AUN ,PL were as you mention but soon didn't work. Faroole came to power and start to fix it by saying the first government PL goes outside the main road!!. Gaas and Deni went in the same way and PL as unity is better each time than it was in Faroole and Cadi AUN era.

Saxib the only reason why I even included Garowe is because I think Bosaso will become too hot for humans in the future. Otherwise I would not spend a single dollar outside of Bosaso. Puntland needs to stop spending money on places that are not viable. We should not be trying to build sewage systems for 4 cities, it is a waste of money. Once we have created 2 major cities and our per capita income has reached $2,500-$3,000 then we can begin to develop other areas. Until we reach that point we need to concentrate development in a limited number of locations. We are simply too poor to provide services to people that are scattered everywhere. This will encourage urbanizations and make it much cheaper to deliver public services. We should not be trying to provide services to everyone, you have to cut dead weight.

BirtaanJabin

DalJecel the DhafoorQiiq
VIP
Im talking about centralism that lead PL to be weak and divided in AY and Cadi Musa AUN era. In here Im advising to be more decentralization and put the eggs in different baskets.
Are you dumb?

How was Puntland weak or divided during AY and Cade Muuses times.

war waxaanoo kale baa raba iney wax noo sheegan

FBIsomalia

True Puntlander
VIP
Saxib the only reason why I even included Garowe is because I think Bosaso will become too hot for humans in the future. Otherwise I would not spend a single dollar outside of Bosaso. Puntland needs to stop spending money on places that are not viable. We should not be trying to build sewage systems for 4 cities, it is a waste of money. Once we have created 2 major cities and our per capita income has reached $2,500-$3,000 then we can begin to develop other areas. Until we reach that point we need to concentrate development in a limited number of locations. We are simply too poor to provide services to people that are scattered everywhere. This will encourage urbanizations and make it much cheaper to deliver public services. We should not be trying to provide services to everyone, you have to cut dead weight.
Your point was implemented in 1998 but in result we lose Sool. Yes Major cities became bigger but in result small clans will accuse you to taking all the cake for yourself. Remember why we fight Xamar centralism and Created SSDF in 70s. Concentration on one city was bad idea that affect all Somalia. PL learn the lesson and today each village has the services its needed from health and school..etc.

Trending