TW: Rape in the Somali community

Have you been inappropriately touch or molested by fam

• Yes

• No

• Maybe so

Results are only viewable after voting.
Many peoples such as myself have survived abuse at the hands of family member(s). I want to know how many of you on here have been abused if you don't mind sharing if you do please ignore me. Your responses are anonymous

I'm so sorry that happened to you :( I'm lucky and can vote no for this, but I've heard quite a lot of stories like this and by men and it sucks since its a cruel word for men who are victims (and women).
Hope you the best:it0tdo8:

J-Rasta

Inactivated
VIP
Many peoples such as myself have survived abuse at the hands of family member(s). I want to know how many of you on here have been abused if you don't mind sharing if you do please ignore me. Your responses are anonymous

I have seen these crisis take place nothing happened to me in particular alx father aun was alive at the time a policeman during the war and had a reputation for killing rebels looters, he died protecting village kids that were raped by militia
I was just 9 years old and witnessed his murder
Time passes my bigger brother aun would enroll me to dugsi since
The macalin dugsi was known to be xaasid he would beat the shit outta of you if you cannot summarise the surah
I remember one day he touched and squeezed the breast of one girl he would often touch the girls and tells them they need to stay after dugsi since they're misbehaving .

These girls would cry the next day one girl was leaking blood people were wondering what happened to these girls
Everyone was clueless because the man had a reputation he was known as the pious one so such allegations were easily dismissed
It happened to a female relative she was also learning in dugsi
I was playing hide and seek back then there were so many burnt tanks you could easily hide in until one of my friends noticed a familiar face sitting behind a destroyed building cutting her arms with razor
Waan naxay wlahi
We ran As fast as we could she wanted to die
She was hesitant to tell anyone the ordeal she went through but told us what happened
He told her she was not learning anything and had to stay after dhuhr
When the kids left for lunch
He locked her inside and stripped her naked done bad things to her

My brother aun grab father's old AK our clan elders tried to stop him they said " fear Allah forget about the girl are you really seeking vengeance what if she's lying and " he said " are you mindless she's young and nearly killed herself I'm not letting our clan get mishandled"
Some uncles cousins father of the victim also joined him
We the younger kids grabbed sticks and stones we wanted to participate brother told us to back off but we sneaked anyway just to see what they were going to do
They rushed to his house trying to question the macalin but to their shock there were was a 13 year old fellow dugsi student getting raped out of anger they shot him multiple times
The shooting was fucking loud it alerted the relatives of macalin dugsi and local militia

At that time we had to escape to Kismayo they came after us and there was a large battle it was the worse days as most of my relatives perished in the battle outnumbered and outgunned we luckily found ourselves in dhobley
At The Kenyan border since the rapist they killed was from a powerful clan

We saw his relatives in dadaab and they also wanted to kill us

A lot shit happens in Somali households but you'd never expect to come from the pious ones

Last edited:

IftiinOfLife

Raw Hard Truth

What were some barriers that made you feel you couldn't report it?

I'm sorry that happened to you.

@Abdi Hanson that sounds scary. Those were some dark times.

What were some barriers that made you feel you couldn't report it?

I'm sorry that happened to you.

Iwas ashamed to be honest. People's comments surroudning me made me not want to share. Which is why now I watch my words around people. You never know what they are dealing with. Thank you to those who responded.

IftiinOfLife

Raw Hard Truth
@Abdi Hanson that sounds scary. Those were some dark times.

Iwas ashamed to be honest. People's comments surroudning me made me not want to share. Which is why now I watch my words around people. You never know what they are dealing with. Thank you to those who responded.

I'm sorry that happened to you, I think Somalis as a diaspora, and even back home, we need to cultivate a culture of open communication with children, so they feel comfortable in disclosing pain and discomfort.

Have you ever felt like reporting it as an adult? Or telling your family? Is your abuser still in your life?

VixR

Veritas
I have seen these crisis take place nothing happened to me in particular alx father aun was alive at the time a policeman during the war and had a reputation for killing rebels looters, he died protecting village kids that were raped by militia
The macalin dugsi was known to be xaasid he would beat the shit outta of you if you cannot summarise the surah
I remember one day he touched and squeezed the breast of one girl he would often touch the girls and tells them they need to stay after dugsi since they're misbehaving .

These girls would cry the next day one girl was leaking blood people were wondering what happened to these girls
Everyone was clueless because the man had a reputation he was known as the pious one so such allegations were easily dismissed
I was playing hide and seek back then there were so many burnt tanks you could easily hide in until one of my friends noticed a familiar face sitting behind a destroyed building cutting her arms with razor
Waan naxay wlahi
She was hesitant to tell anyone the ordeal she went through but told us what happened

My brother aun grab father's old AK our clan elders tried to stop him they said " fear Allah forget about the girl are you really seeking vengeance what if she's lying and " he said " are you mindless she's young and nearly killed herself I'm not letting our clan get mishandled"
We the younger kids grabbed sticks and stones we wanted to participate brother told us to back off but we sneaked anyway just to see what they were going to do
They rushed to his house trying to question the macalin but to their shock there were was a 13 year old fellow dugsi student getting raped out of anger they shot him multiple times
The shooting was fucking loud it alerted the relatives of macalin dugsi and local militia

At that time we had to escape to Kismayo they came after us and there was a large battle it was the worse days as most of my relatives perished in the battle outnumbered and outgunned we luckily found ourselves in dhobley

A lot shit happens in Somali households but you'd never expect to come from the pious ones

Waan naxay wlahi

You’ve had some life..

I'm sorry that happened to you, I think Somalis as a diaspora, and even back home, we need to cultivate a culture of open communication with children, so they feel comfortable in disclosing pain and discomfort.

Have you ever felt like reporting it as an adult? Or telling your family? Is your abuser still in your life?

Iagree very important to even teach your children about their body so they know what is right and what is wrong. I told my mother and for fear of my reputation she told me to neverspeak about it again. I was okay with that because I had come to be ashamed myself. But when I saw that they still associated with myabuser I felt sick. They did not see him frequenyly but he was still welcome around them until today. I chose to live my own life and break the curse. I cant pretend to be ok for the sake of culture. I distance myself from everyone who makes me feel guilty for putting myself first. I dont hate my mom but she made her decision and chose culture over her kid. I have admiration for Somali moms who can stand by their children in the face ofa critical culture

Iagree very important to even teach your children about their body so they know what is right and what is wrong. I told my mother and for fear of my reputation she told me to neverspeak about it again. I was okay with that because I had come to be ashamed myself. But when I saw that they still associated with myabuser I felt sick. They did not see him frequenyly but he was still welcome around them until today. I chose to live my own life and break the curse. I cant pretend to be ok for the sake of culture. I distance myself from everyone who makes me feel guilty for putting myself first. I dont hate my mom but she made her decision and chose culture over her kid. I have admiration for Somali moms who can stand by their children in the face ofa critical culture

It’s really sad :( . I’m so sorry walaal. Did you start therapy? It might help you a little bit.

bro, u need to man up and beat the shyt out that guy, also disown ur family members who sided with that garbage individual. move to a new city and start fresh after u split his wig.

Trending