Turkey making plans to turn historically significant museum Hagia Sophia back to a Mosque

Thoughts on the decision?

Personally I don't like it considering they already destroyed a lot of byzantine religious items when converting it into a mosque and making it a Museum was a great idea to make neutral grounds because the area was for the most part is a historically important piece of architecture for both fallen empires. It seems a little unnecessary to go back especially since there's no shortage of Mosque in the area.

Caaro

I do something called "what I want"
2021 GRANDMASTER
VIP
It’s their country, their choices. No one else but Turkish people have the right to speak on this matter. Not even greeks.

Stop being so indha adeeg. It’s not like they’re demolishing it either, they’re just putting down rugs and praying in it.

Rageedi

Life | Liberty | Property
I support it
Ecl1xKKWkAMIBNo.png

Last edited:

Regg

Stroking my Australinimo
All of the Ottoman mosques in eastern Europe has been converted to Cathedrals.

Many parts of eastern Europe had a significant Muslim population until they were ethnically displaced and deported to Anatolia during the Balkan wars.

So, spare me your crocodile tears. I admire Erdogan’s “IDGAF” attitude to Europe.

Last edited:
Erdogan is a clown. Clearly he is just doing this to rally his base. In that he is like trump. Unfortunately for him, most turks are only concerned by jobs and economy. This trump card of his is just going to fizzle out.

what a wasteman. Erdogan does nothing these days unless he turns up to a ceremony, give speeches or give conferences. He is useless. In the old days he would be on the street inquire about the people.

Instead of worrying about turning museums or cathedrals into mosques worry about the well being of the people. It doesn't matter what europeans or any one does converting mosques.

Molotoff

Supreme Bosniak Geeljire
VIP
I think it is good.

All mosques in Spain and throughout the Balkans (most of them) were transformed into churches after the fall of the Ottoman Empire.

It is hypocritical to whine about restoring the Aya Sofia to a mosque considering the facts stated above.

Aklas

Isku xishow saxib
I expected this to trigger more Turkish Christians, but surprisingly not too many people are talking about it.

Oh well the decision is already made. I don't really mind as long as it is still open to non-Muslims. I would one day like to visit it.

Molotoff

Supreme Bosniak Geeljire
VIP
I expected this to trigger more Turkish Christians, but surprisingly not too many people are talking about it.

Turkish Christians? There are barely any. There is a small community of greeks living in Istanbul though.