Travel, Trade and Pilgrimage among Somalis in the past.

I was speaking to an elder recently, and I asked them how common it was for Somalis to travel among each other before the coming of the Christian colonisers, and I learned some interesting information and would also appreciate any insight or input on this matter to enhance my understanding. Whether it is true or not is up for discussion. Some of my questions included: were people mostly stationary in localised regions, or was mobility very common considering the predominant Nomadic culture of Somalis? Did only local folk know of each other, or did most Somalis (Somali clans) know of each other or have a general understanding of each other's existence? For example, would a Harti be able to know that Rahanweyn existed, considering the great distance between the two in the past and the lack of extensive written material circulating among Somali? If Somalis did travel between each other, what were the modes of transport? How did Somalis perform Hajj etc.

The elder informed me that travel and trade was very common among Somalis and was even encouraged. They often travelled on either foot or by horses and travelling on foot was more common. Camels were not a travel commodity but used for food(Milk or meat) or moving luggage. On a broad level, Somali society was divided into 2-3 main segments in the past. Pastoralist communities that herded livestock (Xoolo raacato), agricultural communities that farmed in fertile regions (Beeraley) and sedentary business folk who traded foreign commodities(Albaabley), such as spices for food or luxurious clothes and other goods or even local commodities such as metal, pots, spears, etc., with the main regions of trade being Xamar, Harar or Zeylac and some small northeastern towns.

Each of these segments relied on the other and traded from each other. There's a saying amongst agricultural communities where they used to say ''Allow koor geel iyo kaka ari soo yeeri aan dalaga hilib dhuux leh iyo caano dhaay ah u badashee'' meaning ''Oh god may the sounds of a Camels koor be heard nearby and the bleats of a goat so I may exchange my greens for milk or meat.'' The Pastoralists equally needed the farmers to get fruit and vegetables to have a balanced diet. The albaabley or sedentary trade folk also needed both the pastoralist and farmer for food, and they needed the trader-albaabley- to buy luxurious foreign things where animals and fruits were the currency or any other attractive locally found good. This reliance on one another ensured that Somalis travelled amongst each other and knew very well of each other due to their codependence on one another. People often assume Somalis forever had clearcut boundaries among themselves and didn't interact with one another for fear of war and fighting (which was uncommon and would easily be resolved through xeer system).

It is my fervent hope that this area of Somali history can be further explored in the future. Such exploration would not only deepen our understanding of the intricate ties between Somalis but also shed light on what unified people and made them depend on each other. It might also help address many issues such as past migratory patterns among Somalis and broaden our understanding on our people. This shift in focus, from what divided us to what brought us together, is crucial for a comprehensive understanding of Somali history and culture.

PILGRIMAGE
After conversing with that elder, I asked them how Somalis of the past, prior to colonisation, performed the Hajj or Umrah pilgrimage to the great cities of Makkah and Madinah, as we are a Muslim people. I had initially assumed that boats were the common mode of transport from present-day Somali land, Puntland, or even Eritrea so that people could cross over to Yemen and go on from there. To my surprise, he informed me that most Somalis used to walk on foot or travel by horse through Somalia, Eritrea, Sudan, Egypt, Sinai-the Suez Canal is an artificial passing created in 1850, and then Arabia, making countless stops at strangers' homes to refuel and enhance their navigation. Bab-Al Mandeb, also known as the Gate of Grief and Tears, was a very dangerous strait where boats often sank due to unstable conditions and poor navigation. Combine that with Cape Gardafui(Northeastern Somalia), where it was commonly known as the graveyard of ships due to ships crashing at its coast; it was often uncommon and rogue to try to go to Arabia by Sailing. I found it hard to believe and still do, but if true, I can understand why Somalis gave such high importance to people who were 'Xaaji'.

From my own extended family, the elder knew 12 men who went to Arabia on foot to perform Hajj and made it back to Somalia. I was amused and also surprised at this fact hopefully this forum can give more insight on this.

I don’t know about all Somalis but pastoral Somalis were very mobile and interacted with each other constantly and were very aware of each others existence and even grazed on each others lands, intermarried,traded etc. even pastoral Somalis were aware of Agro pastoral Somalis like Rahanweyn due to how connected Somalis were.

Trending

Latest posts