Traditional somali blouse

Hamzza

VIP
This is traditional Somali blouse, known as 'Kurdad' & worn by Somali women in the past, especially by women adhering to hijab.
IMG_20220302_165454.jpg
IMG_20220302_165457.jpg
IMG_20220302_165505.jpg

And this full niqabi somali lady
FB_IMG_16462324798307789.jpg

Why did Somali women wear 1215637 different things? I never hear about our forefathers' drip.

Typical lamagoodles

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
Pretty ladies, but they are not ethnic Somalis.
The last one is a woman from Marko:

Marko was ruled by the Biimaal back then and, from what I've noticed, even the minority Cadcads of the Banaadir have majority Somali mtDNA lineages. An Cadcad guy who's been in the Somali genomics game almost as long as me pointed out to me that their mtDNA diversity more or less mirrors this:

Meaning that most of their maternal line is Somali. Kinda fits with something I read about Banyans (Hindu sailors/traders) in Aden while I was researching Somali sailors which is that the Banyans, unlike Somalis, did not generally bring their wives with them to Aden. I get the sense the same thing happened in Xamar with the Ajanabis who came to settle there. Mostly men who took Somali wives from among the local Ajuuraan, Abgaals, Maay, Tunni and such people. So that woman is most likely Somali or at best an admixed Cadcad Somali. Gibil-Madow types were the majority in Marko back then like in Xamar.

Periplus

Minister of Propaganda
VIP
Mashallah beautiful Somali citizens.

Somalia has a beautiful history that incorporates the rich tapestry of our multi-ethnic nation.

:rejoice:

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
Mashallah beautiful Somali citizens.

Somalia has a beautiful history that incorporates the rich tapestry of our multi-ethnic nation.

:rejoice:
THE southern Somali towns of Brava, Merka, Mogdeesho, and Worsheikh, commonly known as the "Benadir," or the "Harbours," from being the only points at which native vessels are able to call along this part of the coast, have been long marked as chief places at which slaves are yearly landed in thousands; and the general belief has been that so barren a country and so wild a race as the Somalis do not require slaves, all taken there being destined for reshipment to Arabia and elsewhere.

That this was to a considerable extent at one time done, there can be no doubt; but it is equally certain that at present a large part of the slaves now taken to the Benadir and retained, and used as slaves in the interior of the Somali land itself.

On the occasion of my recent visit, I was much struck with the development of the grain trade from Merka and Mogdeesho, at each of which places we found nineteen or twenty good-sized native vessels laying at anchor, some fully laden, and all with bags ready to load with native grain. Many other vessels, provided with empty bags, were also communicated with on the voyage there. To this must be added the enormous amount of orchilla weed, which, until very lately, was exported from those places, and crops of the best kind of sesam oil-seed, that forms a very important item in the Zanzibar trade, not to mention ox-hides, that, arriving from the Benadir in great numbers, constitute one of the chief exports of the latter place.

A comparison, however, of the average prices of slaves ruling at Muscat and on the Somali coast will show that the export from the latter could not have been effected of late years, unless at a loss. I therefore reported, in 1871, that, in my opinion, the Somali land retained at least 3,000 slaves yearly - a number that I am now convinced was far below the truth; that, in fact, the demand for slaves in that country itself has been one of the chief supports of the Quiloa Slave Trade, as the transport thither was so profitable and, at the same time, so easy, while the Sultan issued passes in favour of any one who applied, securing the cargo as far as Lamo.

Once at Lamo, there is no difficulty, if ships are known to be in the vicinity, in moving the slaves for a considerable distance by water behind the island, when s short voyage took them to Brava, or elsewhere, as information led the owners to think the boats of our cruizers were stationed.

While the feuds subsisted between the Somalis of the north of the Juba with their rivals (new settlers at Kismayo, to the south of that river), many captures of slave-vessels were made by our cruizers, as the disposition of the boats was not known to the Lamo traders; but now, the land communication being open, intelligence is speedily passed to Lamo when the boats of Her Majesty's cruisers have taken up any one station.

This year, knowing that greater difficulty would be met with, the land route, which I before informed the Government would be a resource to which the Arabs would fall back when the sea became too dangerous, has been tried; and, at the time of our visit to Brava, in April, one caravan had already passed, having marched through Kismayo and Brava to Mogdeesho.

As there is every reason to believe that the present enormous demand for slaves in Somali land itself is but of comparative recent growth, it seems the more necessary at once to call attention to it, and to take means for its suppression.

The Somalis are a cruel treacherous race; described to me, by those who have been among them, as the very worst of all slave-masters, and who, from their behaviour generally to Europeans, although to me personally they were not uncivil, do not deserve the smallest consideration.

- John Kirk 1873

@Xoxoxo

:lolbron:

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
These are reewin ladies
Aren''t digil & mirifle somali
The one on the left in the first picture honestly looks Somali. I dunno what kinda "Bantus" the folks here have seen to think she's not Somali. The last one is a little dubious but the one on the right in the first pic does look proper off, walaal.

World

VIP
The one on the left in the first picture honestly looks Somali. I dunno what kinda "Bantus" the folks here have seen to think she's not Somali. The last one is a little dubious but the one on the right in the first pic does look proper off, walaal.
If she was an ethnic Somali, then she wouldn’t be sitting next to a Bantu.

Latest posts