Traditional hairstyle and routine of Somali mothers/women

Anyone know what the traditional hairstyles of women are? From what I've seen most of our aunties keep their hair in a bun but I'm curious what the traditional hairstyle routine was back in the day. I've seen plenty of photos of the braided hairstyles we once wore. We're these the standard? Was every woman getting her hair braided I'm 101 plants?

Also, what was our traditional hair routine like?
Example. When one washes their hair what did they do traditionally? Did they put it into two pigtails? Bantu knot it (heard one somali woman say this was done but styling purposes but I'm not too sure it this was cultural or just something she did)?
How often was hair washed with a cleanser, moisturized, rebraided. Was hair braided at all or was that for special occasions?

It seems our culture hasn't been passed on and most moms haven't taught the next gen. Anyone have some info to share?

Khaemwaset

Djiboutian ๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ฏ | ๐’–๐’†๐’„A๐’—๐’ƒ ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ด
VIP
We did, nobody practices it anymore. Our culture has been literally finishing the last century.
Somali culture is barley alive nowadays.
If you search up traditional Somali men clothes and you find this
1680265601574.png

Internet Nomad

๐‘ฎ๐’๐’๐’† ๐’‡๐’๐’“ ๐’ˆ๐’“๐’†๐’†๐’๐’†๐’“ ๐’‘๐’‚๐’”๐’•๐’–๐’“๐’†๐’”
VIP
Say what you will but I'm not wearing greek-wannabe bedsheets outside
Just imagine the breeze

:banderas:

We did, nobody practices it anymore. Our culture has been literally finishing the last century.
How come? Obviously we westernised/Arabises a bit but I'm sure the more remote tribes are continuing to still practice a lot of the traditional practices.

Hamzza

VIP
We never had one.
We had and still is practised. Gabdho learn your culture

FB_IMG_16794974458228918.jpg

The dressing of the hair among the Somali girls is very neat, and is quite a laborious process. The same method, or a slight modification of it, is adopted in every case. The hair is first allowed to grow to a suitable length, parted in the middle, then plaited, either from the parting or an inch or two away, into dozens of plaits all round the head, leaving at the end of each plait a little tuft of hair'

Xoxoxo

VIP
We had and still is practised. Gabdho learn your culture

View attachment 263557

The dressing of the hair among the Somali girls is very neat, and is quite a laborious process. The same method, or a slight modification of it, is adopted in every case. The hair is first allowed to grow to a suitable length, parted in the middle, then plaited, either from the parting or an inch or two away, into dozens of plaits all round the head, leaving at the end of each plait a little tuft of hair'
Micro braids? Really?

Iโ€™m sorry to burst your bubbles but almost every person in Africa has this hairstyle. We donโ€™t have a hairstyle that our people made

Micro braids? Really?

Iโ€™m sorry to burst your bubbles but almost every person in Africa has this hairstyle. We donโ€™t have a hairstyle that our people made
Where did we import that from then? If you believe multiple things can't arise naturally without exchange. You're weird.

Xoxoxo

VIP
Where did we import that from then? If you believe multiple things can't arise naturally without exchange. You're weird.
Hairstyles worn by us like Box braids, Fulani braids, Corn rows and Bantu knots are from Central, South & West Africa. We didnโ€™t make a hairstyle thatโ€™s native to us, only the Habesha & Afar have a hairstyle thatโ€™s native to them. We just copied it from other Africans

Garaad diinle

๎€š๎€ž๎€ข๎€œ๎€  ๎€ ๎€Ÿ๎€ก๎€๎€›
I remember a number of hairstyles being used in my family and that of our neighbours back in somalia. It was usually used by girls that were yet to wear hijabs and it included different varieties of braids knots and bun styles. It usually takes a long time for some of these to get made and an equal amount of time to undo them. By the time they start to wear hijabs these hairstyles are not used anymore.

Last edited:
Anyone recall what their mom/aunt did for their hair routine? What you saw as a kid in somalia? Was hair always in pigtails for instance?