Thoughts on ataturk ?

What are your thoughts on ataturk? My opinion is that he was probably one of the greatest leaders in the 21st century, his rebellion which retook his land from France, Italy aremenia and Britain will go down in history. His modernization was also fantastic. Language reform was also on spot to make turkish a language of science.

Qeelbax

East Africa UNUKA LEH
VIP
He made a whole ethnic group out of air, I’ll give him that
💀

But he’s an andi-islam man, he’s the reason most people aren’t religious. I was shook when I went to turkey. But anyways yeah he coulda done all that without practically banning islam.

4head

The one and only 4head
VIP
A great leader, a visionnary man who built modern Turkey from the ashes of the Ottoman Empire.
He was also a great military genius; for his campaigns against the Greeks, English, French,etc while he sow the seeds of the Republic of Turkey; he was a huge admirer of the French Revolution ( he studied in France, like many of his generation since the Young Turks).

Morever, he was the Artisan of what will be become Turkey; a major powerhouse in the Middle-East, an Industrialized nation, with an urban and educated youth; no more stupid superstitions, religious fanatics described him as "Anti-Islam"; in reality, he was against dumb traditions, retrograde views and wanted a Turkey that could compete with the Europeans.

If we analize his rule, we can find many problems though; he was an authoritarian dictator, with a One-Party rule, he banned and executed many people from diffrent sects, etc. He wasn't perfect,
but if Somalis as a whole had a Mustafa Kemal Ataturk; we would lick his feet and idolize him.
Why is that? Because Ataturk saved his country from total deliquescence.

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
I already said this too many times.

Attaturk essentially failed on his language modernisation.

He claimed to eradicated Arabic influences from Turkish but his political party to this day has “Jamhuriyyah” in it.

Yet everyone who is even slightly islamophobic blindly loves Attaturk while shitting on Erdogan despite them very similar leaders.

Qeelbax

East Africa UNUKA LEH
VIP

He claimed to eradicated Arabic influences from Turkish but his political party to this day has “Jamhuriyyah” in it.

Yet everyone who is even slightly islamophobic blindly loves Attaturk while shitting on Erdogan despite them very similar leaders.
Westwrn media are using propaganda to blame erdogan for the fires. What do you think of this? Anti-erdogan turks eat this shit up in turkey

Erdoğan was good at the beginning of his presidential career, but recently his unorthodox economic policies are hurting the turkish economy

If you think the Turkish of today is arabized you should see Ottoman Turkish
:mjlol:

Turkish, like Somali does not have a native word for Republic so that's why they use Jamhuriyyah, they could make up new words though.

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
Erdoğan was good at the beginning of his presidential career, but recently his unorthodox economic policies are hurting the turkish economy

I was talking about Erdogan and Ataturk's similarities in both being ideologue autocrats trying to change the political shape of the country for generations to come.

The existence of Ataturk as a precedent allowed for Erdogan's dominance. Erdogan isn't Turkey's worst leader but rather the embodiment of the Turkish Republic's establishment.

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
If you think the Turkish of today is arabized you should see Ottoman Turkish

He still did a crap job.

People that stan Attaturk will always bring in this graph into a conversation but I will dismantle it for good.

1628431868661.jpeg

The Red portion is Arabic and Blue is Turkish.

This graph shows words that are straight borrowed from Arabic not Turkish words with an Arabic origin.

For example, the word "Haqq" as in right or justice in Arabic is also used in Turkish. That is a loan word.

But almost 20 other Turkish words have the word Haqq in it but are not counted as loan words. Words such as unfair, deserve, injustice, remunerate, entitlement and many more, all have an Arabic root word.

Hello in Turkish is Marhaba, lifted straight off Arabic.

The only noticeable difference Ataturk did is switch to a Latin script, which has caused even more confusion for foreigner when trying to pronounce Emre Can's name.

:farmajoyaab:

He still did a crap job.

People that stan Attaturk will always bring in this graph into a conversation but I will dismantle it for good.

main-qimg-41a360bbad278270747a4259c89f308e.webp

This graph shows words that are straight borrowed from Arabic not Turkish words with an Arabic origin.

For example, the word "Haqq" as in right or justice in Arabic is also used in Turkish. That is a loan word.

But almost 20 other Turkish words have the word Haqq in it but are not counted as loan words. Words such as unfair, deserve, injustice, remunerate, entitlement and many more, all have an Arabic root word.

Hello in Turkish is Marhaba, lifted straight off Arabic.

The only noticeable difference Ataturk did is switch to a Latin script, which has caused even more confusion for foreigner when trying to pronounce Emre Can's name.

:farmajoyaab:
Unlike the Latin script for Somali, the latin script for Turkish is definitely more fitting to the language, the Arabic script for Turkish was very complicated and in general bad.

But much of the time there's an arabic loanword for something in Turkish, there's also a Turkish equivalent, they're used in slightly different contexts usually.

Erdogan brought back many Turkish archaic words that are uesd today.

But he still did a pretty lazy job with de-arabization.

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
Unlike the Latin script for Somali, the latin script for Turkish is definitely more fitting to the language, the Arabic script for Turkish was very complicated and in general bad.

But much of the time there's an arabic loanword for something in Turkish, there's also a Turkish equivalent, they're used in slightly different contexts usually.

Erdogan brought back many Turkish archaic words that are uesd today.

But he still did a pretty lazy job with de-arabization.

My friend if you talk to many Turkish people that speak Arabic or vice-versa, they will tell you not much has changed.

I am not even surprised in the slightest that he couldn't even properly accomplish the one thing he was so fixated on, as he was an alcoholic.

According to historical references, Ataturk drank one bottle of Raki (Levantine spirits) every day.

Guess what he died of: Liver Cirrhosis.

Ottoman turkish and modern day turkish are totally different, back nearly half the words were arabic or Persian. Now less the 14% of their word stock is foreign. Tell me how's its a failure.
Screenshot_20210808-172924_Drive.jpg

4head

The one and only 4head
VIP
My friend if you talk to many Turkish people that speak Arabic or vice-versa, they will tell you not much has changed.

I am not even surprised in the slightest that he couldn't even properly accomplish the one thing he was so fixated on, as he was an alcoholic.

According to historical references, Ataturk drank one bottle of Raki (Levantine spirits) every day.

Guess what he died of: Liver Cirrhosis.

False correlation.
Even Churchill had "vices", yet did good (and bad) things; humans cannot be perfect.

Ataturk modernized Turkey, despite your attempt at diminishing his work, he's still seen as a legendary man who built a fragmented nation.
But, you're right; both Erdogan and Mustafa Kemal share similarities; visionary men who upheld their country in times of difficulty (Turkey before Erdogan was poorer, with a lot of military coup's, and war-torn neighboring countries which affected Turkey's safety, not to forget the political terrorist attacks done by the Kurdish separatists, like the PKK.)

They are actually humans; both are autocratic dictators with a binary vision of life and were either idolized or hated.

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
Ataturk modernized Turkey, despite your attempt at diminishing his work, he's still seen as a legendary man who built a fragmented nation.
But, you're right; both Erdogan and Mustafa Kemal share similarities; visionary men who upheld their country in times of difficulty (Turkey before Erdogan was poorer, with a lot of military coup's, and war-torn neighboring countries which affected Turkey's safety, not to forget the political terrorist attacks done by the Kurdish separatists, like the PKK.)

I am talking about his accomplishments, I am talking about his attempt to remove "Arab" influence from Turkish society which is what he is most known for, like it or not.

All his accomplishments in that regard are a failure and I mention his drinking for two reasons. Firstly, a humorous but probably truthful reason for his failure in that aspect as well as the fact that by being a heavy drinker, his views towards "Arab" influence probably stems from something else.

Yukon_Niner

Ugaas of the supreme gentleman
VIP
He did good, bad and modernised his country in the process. He forgot to set up political checks that'd keep dictator's out and now Turkey is paying the price.

Qeelbax

East Africa UNUKA LEH
VIP
I am talking about his accomplishments, I am talking about his attempt to remove "Arab" influence from Turkish society which is what he is most known for, like it or not.

All his accomplishments in that regard are a failure and I mention his drinking for two reasons. Firstly, a humorous but probably truthful reason for his failure in that aspect as well as the fact that by being a heavy drinker, his views towards "Arab" influence probably stems from something else.
Islamophobia?

giphy.gif

Trending