There are an estimated 1.2 MILLION Somali atheists active on social media

Samira

Illuminated Xalimo
https://globalvoices.org/2019/12/02/they-call-for-my-slaughter-somali-atheists-living-in-fear/

Hassan dreads each sunset. When the skies darken in Nairobi, Kenya, the threats begin.

He is too scared to leave his home but his taunters, mostly his neighbors, find him: They pummel the walls and metal door of his room in a concrete five-story building. Hassan, a 25-year old Somali refugee, has only lived in Nairobi a few months, but his neighbors — who are all Somali Muslims — have found out he has renounced Islam. To some of the most devout Muslims, being an atheist is punishable by death.

“My life has been a living hell. They are spreading that I have left the faith,” Hassan, who is using a pseudonym for fear of reprisals, told Global Voices. “I’ve reported it to the police, but nobody got arrested.”

As religious fundamentalism intensifies in Somali communities, in the country and abroad, some Somali atheists face harassment and threats on and offline. The Somali atheist community spans the globe with many still “in the closet,” hiding their beliefs from their families, friends and neighbors for fear of repercussions. Many seek solace through online communities, such as Facebook groups, Reddit threads, and YouTube channels, using pseudonyms.

Hassan’s troubles began in Dadaab, the sprawling Kenyan refugee camp where he grew up. His childhood experiences of living in poverty and as a refugee made him question the existence of God when he was a teenager, he says. When a cousin discovered he had left his faith, some of his family became hostile.

Word of his atheism soon spread throughout his community at Dadaab. Soon after, he was attacked while fetching water from a communal tap. His attackers hit him on the back of the head with a stone and knocked him out. His arm also broke.

To verify Hassan’s story, Global Voices has seen a copy of his refugee identity card, and the medical and police reports of his attack, as well as a photograph of his injuries.

“Religious fundamentalism is just getting worse in the camps. The situation is very bad,” says Hassan. “The community doesn’t seem to care about what is going on, as they are mostly Muslims. And they enjoy outing people.”

Hassan managed to escape Dadaab by gaining a scholarship to study for a bachelor’s degree at a university in Nairobi. Unfortunately, the harassment and death threats followed him to the city. In the closely-knit communities of Somali diaspora, locals soon found out about his atheism.

There are an estimated 1.2 million Somali atheists active on social media, says Halima Salat, the founder of Ex-Muslim Somali Voices, an online platform with a Youtube and Facebook presence.

“However, there are trolls that infiltrate the internet safe spaces to try to ‘out’ atheists [who] typically use an alias. Fundamentalist Somali Muslims are policing the community online,” Salat, who is based in Western Europe, says. “Somalis, wherever they are [in] the world, are always looking over their shoulders.”

Hassan has experienced this. His details, including his phone number, have been posted on Facebook pages, along with calls for his slaughter.

We’re really out here. We’re your neighbors. Your dugsi mates. Your friends siblings. Your crushes. Your children. We’re dressed like Muslims, we behave like Muslims in front of you. We’re you.

Crow

Make Hobyo Great Again
VIP
tenor.gif

That number seems very exaggerated. 1.2 active on social media alone? That would make somali athiest that are active on social media about 4% of the Somali population.
I don’t think we’re that many but we’re still definitely wayy more than you’d think

We could be the biggest qabiil and political party in Somalia. I should run for President & test the waters.
I think we should become a qabiil!! Since Darood, Ashraf and Isaaq clans are ''started'' by Arab men who claimed to be the from the same tribe as the prophet, I believe we should have a myth ourselves. I think we should claim to be descendants of Charles Darwin's uncle

I think we should become a qabiil!! Since Darood, Ashraf and Isaaq clans are ''started'' by Arab men who claimed to be the from the same tribe as the prophet, I believe we should have a myth ourselves. I think we should claim to be descendants of Charles Darwin's uncle

@beenleey

Great idea, you’re absolutely right that we need a history whether it is real or imagined based folklore that could appeal even to the unborn child. Instead of carrying megaphones, we should dig up some heroes and heroines in pre Islamic and Waaq religions. I think Araweelo will fit that narrative.

Timo Jareer and proud

2nd Emir of the Akh Right Movement
@beenleey

Great idea, you’re absolutely right that we need a history whether it is real or imagined based folklore that could appeal even to the unborn child. Instead of carrying megaphones, we should dig up some heroes and heroines in pre Islamic and Waaq religions. I think Araweelo will fit that narrative.
Araweelo doesn't exist. Just use Issa (Jesus Christ) since Christianity was practiced in northern Somalia before the Muslims came from the coast.

Araweelo doesn't exist. Just use Issa (Jesus Christ) since Christianity was practiced in northern Somalia before the Muslims came from the coast.
This clan is inclusive of southerners which wernt christian thankfully
We are atheists and claiming Jesus will attract non Isaaqs and Daroods since Jesus is still loved in Islam. I can already imagine my religious Hawiye cousin claiming to be from this clan so he can say he's a descendant of the only man in heaven right now. We don't need sheegatos and another middle eastern religious figure

Reer Luci
Homo habilis
Homo Erctus
Homo Heidelburginsis
Homo sapien

landheer:salute:

SomaliSteel

No dictator can imprison a population forever.
Niggas really trying to get asylum out here.

There are also 10 million Somali gays who need asylum because of fear for their lives

1 million Somali Jews who need to get to Israel

Yukon_Niner

Ugaas of the supreme gentleman
VIP
Judging by the looks of it that number will be sure to decrease.

Thank fuckall I'm agnostic, couldn't imagine being an atheist sucker.

Trending