The World’s Largest 10 Economies in 2030

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaegal

I have no proof, only whispers
It's not necessarily about benevolence as much as it is about stability and security. Somalia is in a perpetual state of disarray and minimal progress. It's completely hostile to any foreign investment. Somalis in the diaspora can't even safely invest in a smaller scale without familial assurances. Look how long there has been reasonable speculation on Somalia's oil reserves, and yet no a drop has been extracted. Its waters have been plundered for years. I read some UN pdf a while back and it listed that South Korean illegal fishers alone extract a 100m USD worth of fish in just one year. That's a third of the federal government's budget. Somalia fails to meet the bare minimum to even prostitute itself out

And as ironic as it sounds, there'd be more accountability under a dictatorship than Somalia pseudo-government. At least there's something to point at. In fact, I think an authoritatian state is a mandatory stepping stone to a prosperous democracy. A democracy is only as good as it's population is educated.
A benevolent dictator is still a dictator. Security and stability is still provided. The only difference being that the benevolent dictator actually cares about his people and country and invests in progress instead of enriching himself and hiding money overseas. Look at the history of the world. It's full of dictators and monarchs, they only benefit themselves.

The beautiful part of a dictatorship is that you get to steamroll anyone who doesn't comply. You don't need to be compelling, or right for that matter. It's only impossible right now because there is literally no power in the hands of TFG. Besides, it's entirely possible to leave SL and Puntland to themselves until you've sorted your mess out. Once the south makes progress, and I mean real progress, the other states would fall in line.
The South is also a patchwork of various backward qabiils sxb, that all want to set up their own primitive states. It's simply one big mess.

I honestly can't see another Authoritarian gov't coming to power in (South)Somalia.

A benevolent dictator is still a dictator. Security and stability is still provided. The only difference being that the benevolent dictator actually cares about his people and country and invests in progress instead of enriching himself and hiding money overseas. Look at the history of the world. It's full of dictators and monarchs, they only benefit themselves.

Yes. What I'm saying is that we don't need a dictator with a golden heart. Even a corrupt and corny strongman figure like Duterte, Putin, Modi etc. can bring significant progress over the status quo.

The South is also a patchwork of various qabiils sxb, that all want to set up their own primitive states. It's simply one big mess.

I honestly can't see another Authoritarian gov't coming to power in (South)Somalia.

It was done in '69, and I suspect they were far more qabiil oriented considering that 55%+ of the population wasn't even around for the civil war or doesnt remember it.

It's a pipe dream anyway because Somalia has a non-existent military.

Aaegal

Don't they already do that, though? The Somali parliament is made up of a diverse pool of individuals from different qabiil backgrounds so I don't think that's really the problem.
Wikipedia says National Constituent Assembly consisting of elders (???) nominates legislators, who are then vetted by Technical Selection Committee (???). The parliament then elects a President and Prime Minister.

President - head of state, picks who the Prime Minister is.

Prime Minister - head of government and appoints members to the Council of Minister who apparently have most of the executive power.

So does that means the Prime Minister has more power than the President?

This doesn't look like a democracy to me. The people should vote for who they want representing their area and a party. Either one party holds a majority of seats and forms the government or multiple parties build a coalition. While the others form the opposition to keep them accountable.

Aaegal

Yes. What I'm saying is that we don't need a dictator with a golden heart. Even a corrupt and corny strongman figure like Duterte, Putin, Modi etc. can bring significant progress over the status quo.

No my friend. Philippines and Russia are growing slowly, they are ripe with corruption, inequality, censorship and oppression. Why you would want to emulate those models is beyond me.

A benevolent dictator would accomplish all the goals you seek. He just wont be a dick about it...other than indefinite rule.

No my friend. Philippines and Russia are growing slowly, they are ripe with corruption, inequality, censorship and oppression. Why you would want to emulate those models is beyond me.

A benevolent dictator would accomplish all the goals you seek. He just wont be a **** about it...other than indefinite rule.
The late Lee Kuan Yew is the best example of a Benevolent dictator.

Singapore is now a first-class/world country thanks to his right-wing economic policies & leadership skills:

Aaegal

The late Lee Kuan Yew is the best example of a Benevolent dictator.

Singapore is now a first-class/world country thanks to his right-wing economic policies & leadership skills:
I love Singapore. Look at how quickly a country can become rich with right leadership. 40 years is all it took them to get from 900$ per capita to 58k per capita.

A benevolent dictator would accomplish all the goals you seek. He just wont be a **** about it...other than indefinite rule.

You misunderstand, an efficient, non-corrupt and 'benevolent' dictator is ideal. It's also unrealistic. All I'm saying is that even a shitty dictator like the aforementioned would be better than a sham democracy.

I would love for Somalia to become the Norway of Africa. Even down to their major exports of oil and fresh fish. Low population, high GDP, large country, extremely low corruption, transparent and excellent management of their natural resources. That said, the fastest and most efficient way to reach that is by establishing rule of law and security. Something that has drastically failed under various governments over the past 20 years. You can't have a fair democracy when you can't even feed your people. The quickest way to overcome qabilism is by abusing populist and typical strongman rhetoric. It's not the final step, but a step towards progress.

Aaegal

You misunderstand, an efficient, non-corrupt and 'benevolent' dictator is ideal. It's also unrealistic. All I'm saying is that even a shitty dictator like the aforementioned would be better than a sham democracy.

I would love for Somalia to become the Norway of Africa. Even down to their major exports of oil and fresh fish. Low population, high GDP, large country, extremely low corruption, transparent and excellent management of their natural resources. That said, the fastest and most efficient way to reach that is by establishing rule of law and security. Something that has drastically failed under various governments over the past 20 years. It's not the final step, but a step towards progress.

Fine, we are in agreement.

As is though a democracy is the best chance we have now. I believe there will be another election in 2020, so lets see how things go then.

Tukraq

VIP
Somalia needs to drop the false federal government act, and except itself as a confederacy:manny: they also need a confederate constitution, all the states should be self governing but have equal say

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending