The Tale of the Shipwrecked Sailor: An Ancient Egyptian Epic of Punt

Emir of Zayla

π•Ήπ–†π–™π–Žπ–”π–“ 𝖔𝖋 π•»π–”π–Šπ–™π–˜
Basically an official of the Pharaoh returns home from a expedition which did not go well. He has to report the bad news to the Pharaoh and is obviously worried about what might happen to him at the meeting. His servant, trying to cheer him up, tells him a story of what happened, he tells his master how he survived the shipwreck and came ashore on an amazing land where he met a great talking serpent who called himself the Prince of Punt. All good things were on the island and the sailor and the snake converse until a ship is hailed and he can return to Egypt. As the Land of Punt had been a well-known partner in trade with Egypt since the Fourth Dynasty
(2616-2498 CE) it is interesting to see it portayed mythically as a land of riches and mystery from which the sailor is rescued, after being helped by the serpent, and returned home a more experienced man.

Down below is a link to the full story, check it out if you like

Last edited:

Emir of Zayla

Interact with this post, plz and thanks πŸ™

"Suddenly I heard a noise as of thunder, which I thought to be that of a wave of the sea. The trees shook, and the earth was moved. I uncovered my face, and I saw that a serpent drew near. He was thirty cubits long, and his beard greater than two cubits; his body was as overlaid with gold, and his color as that of true lazuli. He coiled himself before me. "Then he opened his mouth, while that I lay on my face before him, and he said to me, "What has brought you, what has brought you, little one, what has brought you? If you say not speedily what has brought you to this isle, I will make you know yourself; as a flame you shall vanish, if you tell me not something I have not heard, or which I knew not, before you.'
1696296724162.png
1696296752929.png

1696297065041.png

Even AI has a hard time coming up with a serpent that has a beard - but I think these images are nice. Blue lazuli and gold is a beautiful combo, the ancients were onto something.

*It looks a lot like Eastern Orthodox iconography

same site https://sourcebooks.fordham.edu/ancient/nubia1.asp#Procopius
the section : Herodotus: The Histories, c. 430 BCE, Book III.
last 2 paragraphs sounds like somalis

Also the section
Strabo: Geography, c. 22 CE
XVI.iv.4-17; XVII.i.53-54, ii.1-3, iii.1-11.

First paragraph talks about an eygptian Pharoh who conquered ethiopia and Troglodytica aka somalis , the pharaoh being Senusret III , maybe someone could look into this pharoh and more of his records
1696321444256.png

Last edited:

Emir of Zayla

same site https://sourcebooks.fordham.edu/ancient/nubia1.asp#Procopius
the section : Herodotus: The Histories, c. 430 BCE, Book III.
last 2 paragraphs sounds like somalis

Also the section
Strabo: Geography, c. 22 CE
XVI.iv.4-17; XVII.i.53-54, ii.1-3, iii.1-11.

First paragraph talks about an eygptian Pharoh who conquered ethiopia and Troglodytica aka somalis , the pharaoh being Senusret III , maybe someone could look into this pharoh and more of his records
View attachment 296911
Sesostris is the name of a legendary king of ancient Egypt who, according to Herodotus, led a military expedition/raids into parts of Europe, Scthyia, Aethiopia (Nubia), Punt and Levant. He’s prob one of the more interesting kings of Egypt tho there’s not much about him