The story of Malik Ambar

Toriye

Sheekhaagu waa kuma?
Supposedly Oromo but there is reason to believe he was Darood Somali (sorry @Medulla)
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
His story is very inspiring and one many don't know about. This was a young boy, at only 12 years old, who was sold into slavery by Arabic traders and would then go on to become a very formidable king in India, one that even the Mughal empire couldn't bring down for over 30 years. When I first came across this story, walahi it gave me shivers. The video below would go in-depth if you are interested.

Madd

Maddd!!!!!
It pisses me off how the immediately associate it african. Why do cadaan feel a need to paint all africans as the same.

Toriye

Sheekhaagu waa kuma?
It's a geographical location. Not an defining identity. The guy doesn't know what African is. Yet his whole legacy will be overshadowed. Its fucked:bell:
People native to Africa are called Africans. He could've been more specific and called him east African but you shouldn't be offended, brother, being African is not an insult.

People native to Africa are called Africans. He could've been more specific and called him east African but you shouldn't be offended, brother, being African is not an insult.
u are native to somalia then you called somali and somali is your ethnic not african
african label tht other non somali use

Radical

Certified CNC expert.
I agree it's not an insult but some people deserve credit and not just labeled with broad terms, pizza is specifically credited to Italians and not 'Europeans' or whatever.

if you made a ground breaking discovery or invention wouldn't you want it to be called a Somali invention and put your country on the map instead of sharing your accomplishment with a whole continent that didn't have any contributions to your efforts.

We should all be as distinguished as possible because Africa is the most genetically diverse continent and not just a place with 'blacks' but a place with many cultures and more languages than anywhere

Madd

Maddd!!!!!
it is not that. They don't view it from your lense if that makes any sense. They imply it as an encompassing identity, that defines everything from your culture, your appearance and who you are. When the call him African it immediately assigns him to what we considered true africans to be, Negriod. Providing people who are foreign to Malik Ambar to be assigned to an completely different group who share nothing with him.

But that is not my main concern. My main concern is that there is an apparent push by westerners to portray all africans as being the same. In essence they have forced many an African unfortunately to shed their own identify and accept this as being their new reality. The reason why this is significant is because it entails the presumption that africans within Africa don't have an their own distinct identify, when we know this isn't the case and it inherently allows westerners who have popularised the term to be able to categories all these different people into one. If you just look at the history of the word, you can see how it is unfortunately connected to huge negative connotations. Therefore this negative connotations are defining him even though the identity holds no weight to him whatsoever. He is an Oromo first and foremost, yet that will not be acknowledged but the alien term African will

Last edited:

Toriye

Sheekhaagu waa kuma?
I agree it's not an insult but some people deserve credit and not just labeled with broad terms, pizza is specifically credited to Italians and not 'Europeans' or whatever.

if you made a ground breaking discovery or invention wouldn't you want it to be called a Somali invention and put your country on the map instead of sharing your accomplishment with a whole continent that didn't have any contributions to your efforts.

We should all be as distinguished as possible because Africa is the most genetically diverse continent and not just a place with 'blacks' but a place with many cultures and more languages than anywhere
Saying that pizza is European isn't necessarily wrong just as saying this man was African isn't wrong. I agree that it is not very specific or precise but it is just a broad title meant to attract a broad audience. Furthermore, Malik Ambar wasn't necessarily Ethiopian, in the modern sense at least, so what would you call him? Calling him Oromo could have a negative effect (views wise) since not that many people know who that refers to.
Africa is the most diverse continent even with excluding all the foreigners (the Arabs in North Africa, and other parts of Africa, and all the cadaans) but as native inhabitants of that continent, we can all be referred to as Africans. It doesn't mean that we are all the same it just means that we share a continent.

Saying that pizza is European isn't necessarily wrong just as saying this man was African isn't wrong. I agree that it is not very specific or precise but it is just a broad title meant to attract a broad audience. Furthermore, Malik Ambar wasn't necessarily Ethiopian, in the modern sense at least, so what would you call him? Calling him Oromo could have a negative effect (views wise) since not that many people know who that refers to.
Africa is the most diverse continent even with excluding all the foreigners (the Arabs in North Africa, and other parts of Africa, and all the cadaans) but as native inhabitants of that continent, we can all be referred to as Africans. It doesn't mean that we are all the same it just means that we share a continent.
nah it means same if non somali is called african and somali is called african tht means tht they are the same
so africa is not identity and no if mohamed gurrey is referred as african tht means he is not somali nor his identity is not somali
so it is dum juts cuz some foreign referred to u as africa u means to tell me u willl take what they referred to u
it is like saying foreign calls you dog and you will accept it by your logic

Toriye

Sheekhaagu waa kuma?
nah it means same if non somali is called african and somali is called african tht means tht they are the same
so africa is not identity and no if mohamed gurrey is referred as african tht means he is not somali nor his identity is not somali
so it is dum juts cuz some foreign referred to u as africa u means to tell me u willl take what they referred to u
it is like saying foreign calls you dog and you will accept it by your logic
No walaal sidaa ma aha. Ahmed Gurey nin somali ah, African na ah buu aha. Labo wax waa isla noqon karta. Sidaa aanu nahay muslim iyo somali iyo african oo kale. Marki lagu yidhaah african baa tahay, qaaraddaas baad dhalad utahay baa laga wadaa.

Madd

Maddd!!!!!

If you don't mind i will add my piece to this. In regards to your Ethiopian point, that could used to mute the point of him being African. Firstly because that term was first used to describe North Africans. It was only till the Trans Atlantic Slave Trade that the continent was referred to as Africa. Historically as only parts of the Maghreb were called Africa. The term was used to define a land mass that historically and culturally had no name for a long time. Whereas with the term Ethiopian, it was used to identify the northern part of Sudan and the Southern part of Egypt. Yet there is great debate to how far the region was. If you asked Ethiopian scholars ,some falsely, would argue that it was modern day Ethiopia and if you asked more trustworthy ones, the will inform you that the Ethiopia region was used to describe everything south of Egypt, just as other scholars who are familiar with the region would suggest aswell.

Whereas the Term Africa has only be popularised in the last century or so. It would have been far better to call him Ethiopian than African as it at least it has more of an profound connections to the region he comes from. The issue walaal is that the term African shuns the diversity of Africa, it doesn't enhance it. How can one identity that has no real grounding historically and culturally be able to encompass and emphasis the individuality of some many different people. By explicitly calling him African you strip of his culture, his identity and what he is and ascribed him to a notion that doesn't represent him in slightest. It is being intellectually dishonest and untrue by identifying him to something in which is not a true represent of what he is. When people who are unaware of the true diversity of africa see the title, they will think that he looks this

G9e9D3DP.jpg

When in actuality he looks like this
abiy-99992-portrait-medium.jpg

No walaal sidaa ma aha. Ahmed Gurey nin somali ah, African na ah buu aha. Labo wax waa isla noqon karta. Sidaa aanu nahay muslim iyo somali iyo african oo kale. Marki lagu yidhaah african baa tahay, qaaraddaas baad dhalad utahay baa laga wadaa.
nah u cant
african is not culture or ethnic or nationaliti
cant be 2 thing at same time
i wont identitive a label tht non somali identitive with it stop pushing this nonse

Trending

Latest posts