The Ruling of Celebrating the Birth (Mawlid) of the Prophet ﷺ by Shaykh Hatim Al-Awni

The Ruling of Celebrating the Birth (Mawlid) of the Prophet ﷺ​

I. The Ruling of Mawlid

First, let it be said that any discussion of Mawlid must remain academic and objective. It should not deny the scholarly difference of opinion concerning this practice, nor should it deny that some highly esteemed `ulamā’ deemed it recommended (with certain conditions).

Though he concluded that Mawlid is a form of bid`ah, consider that Shaykh al-Islām Ibn Taymīyyah himself excused those who celebrate it. In fact, he held that there is an immense reward for them in it. He says:

“Someone may revere the Mawlid, making it a celebration, and have an immense reward in it due to his good intention and his reverence for Allāh’s Messenger ﷺ. It is as I have explained to you: an act may be good on the part of some people [even though it is] objectionable on the part of a believer who has been shown the correct approach.”

Iqtiḍā’ al-Ṣirāṭ al-Mustaqīm, 2/126

Details of the Ruling •​

Secondly, let us turn to the details of Mawlid’s ruling.

If someone uses the day of Mawlid to remind people of the Prophet’s ﷺ Sīrah, or to inspire love for him in Muslims’ hearts, then this is permissible as long as the observance is kept free of the following:

• excesses, such as istighāthah;
  • vices, such as free-mixing of men and women;
  • superstitions, such as the belief that the Prophet ﷺ attends in person;
  • and belief in any special religious virtue attached to reminding people on a particular day.
One simply uses the date of the Prophet’s ﷺ birth as an opportunity to call it to mind, just as preachers remind people of the Battle of Badr on the 17th of Ramaḍān, the Conquest of Makkah on the 20th of Ramaḍān, and the Migration of the Prophet to Madīnah ﷺ at the beginning of the Hijrī year. This is permissible because it is not linked to belief in any innovated form of worship. When these conditions are fulfilled, the observance goes from being a prohibited bid`ah to being a permissible maṣlaḥah mursalah.¹ These conditions make Mawlid gatherings a mere means of achieving a legitimate objective: reminding people of the Prophet’s ﷺ Sīrah and igniting love for him in their hearts.

I find it necessary to always emphasize that the permissibility of Mawlid events rests on the following points.

• These lessons or celebrations, which must be free of prohibited matters, are not held due to some belief that Mawlid observances are acts of worship in and of themselves. The date of the Prophet’s ﷺ birth is simply used as an opportunity to achieve a valid objective.
  • The calendar date of the Prophet’s ﷺ birth does not have any particular, established virtue.
  • The categorically false beliefs, statements, and practices found in many Mawlid events must be addressed.
When these conditions are met, I do not find Mawlid to be a form of bid`ah, nor do I find any reason to disavow it or those who partake in it.

I also see no problem with completely refusing to partake in Mawlid for the sake of avoiding the problems and vices present in many celebrations. This is acceptable as long as those who take this position do not go to extremes in opposing the practice. They should recognize it as a matter of valid ijtihād and avoid censuring those who consider Mawlid permissible within the parameters that we mentioned. If these conditions are met, then this opposing view is also a valid position, and it is not without merit.

In practice, we find that something similar to what we described already takes place in Saudi Arabia without raising any objection. Each year, many Jumu`ah sermons and masjid lectures are delivered in opposition to Mawlid as its date draws near, either in the last Jumu`ah khuṭbah before Mawlid or on the evening prior to it. These often begin with some mention of the Prophet’s ﷺ virtues and his rights over his Ummah, then conclude by mentioning vices associated with Mawlid gatherings. This is actually a form of partaking in Mawlid that I consider permissible. It simply is not called “Mawlid”.

The works that Salafī scholars have written (and continue to write) for Ramaḍān gatherings are another example of what we described. Take, for example, the book of Shaykh Ibn `Uthaymīn — may Allāh have mercy on him — and other books that contain reminders of the Battle of Badr and the Conquest of Makkah on their respective dates of occurrence.² Shaykh Ibn `Uthaymīn intended for his book to be read to people in masjids every year. It was his hope, and the hope of everyone who would like to be rewarded continuously for this sort of work, that these readings would continue each Ramaḍān and become widespread among Muslims. We find in our masjids that this is, in fact, what happens — and it recurs every year! Habitually reading about these battles on particular days does not make this practice a form of bid`ah, because specifying these days is not meant to be an act of religious devotion. It is a matter of taking advantage of dates to make lessons more impactful, to make past events more memorable, and to remind ourselves of Allāh’s great blessings to us on these great occasions in Islām’s history.

As a form of middle ground, many of those who partake in Mawlid decide not to restrict their observances to a specific annual date. They hold gatherings for reminding people of the Prophet’s ﷺ virtues numerous times throughout the year. As long as these gatherings remain free of the vices associated with some Mawlid celebrations, there is nothing wrong with them at all. The condition is that one must not consider this sort of event a form of worship that is pursued for its own sake.

Conclusion •​

It is now clear that we must distinguish between two forms of Mawlid:

(1) A form of Mawlid that is a permissible means to a valid objective (maṣlaḥah mursalah).

This occurs when someone intends to use the date of the Prophet’s ﷺ birth to remind people of his life and awaken love for him in their hearts. One does not believe in any special religious virtue that justifies singling this date out with worship, nor does one believe in anything else that is not supported by evidence.

This is the form of Mawlid that earned the approval of many eminent scholars, including Abū Shāmah, Ibn Nāṣir al-Dīn, and numerous others.

(2) A form of Mawlid that is bid`ah even if it is free of excesses and vices.

This occurs when someone believes:
  • that this particular day is distinguished by some special religious virtue;
  • that linking acts of worship to this particular day increases one’s reward for those acts;
  • or that holding celebrations on this particular day is desirable in and of itself — just as acts of worship legislated by Allāh are desirable in and of themselves.
This is the form of Mawlid that earned the censure of many eminent scholars, including Shaykh al-Islām Ibn Taymīyyah and others.

II. Responding to Objections

I shared a detailed ruling on Mawlid yesterday, and some objections have been raised to it. I will summarize the most important of these below and follow each with a response.

First Objection: The form of “permissible Mawlid” that you have described does not exist anywhere.

Response: If we accept for the sake of argument that no such Mawlid exists, then the article serves as a corrective for existing Mawlid gatherings.

Second Objection: There is a difference of opinion concerning the actual date of the Prophet’s ﷺ birth. How can a particular day (e.g. the 12th of Rabī` al-Awwal) be singled out?

Response: This would be a valid objection if my article had singled this day out for some specific act of worship. My position does not do so. On the contrary, it is similar to assigning a day of the year for reminders of some other important matter.

Consequently, rather than being grounds for objection to my position, the disagreement concerning the exact date of the Prophet’s ﷺ birth actually supports what I said. [I emphasized that there is no special religious virtue linked to the date of his ﷺ birth, and the disagreement surrounding the date makes this even clearer.]

In any case, the strongest opinion is that the Prophet ﷺ was born on the 12th of Rabī` al-Awwal. The next strongest opinion is that he ﷺ was born on the 9th of Rabī` al-Awwal. The first opinion is reported from Ibn `Abbās through an authentic chain of transmission, and it is the view of the generality of Sīrah authorities. The second opinion comes from an attempt to reconcile narrations with calculations made by the astronomer Maḥmūd Pāshā in his book, Natā’ij al-Afhām fī Taqwīm al-`Arab Qabl al-Islām.

Third Objection: How can we do something that the Ṣaḥābah, the Tābi`ūn, and the Atbā` al-Tābi`īn never did? Do we love the Prophet ﷺ more than they did?

Response: This is a valid objection to those who believe that Mawlid is a special act of worship legislated for a particular day. Such a belief would be bid`ah without a doubt.

However, this objection is meaningless to those who regard Mawlid as a maṣlaḥah mursalah that acquaints people with the Prophet ﷺ and awakens love for him. A maṣlaḥah mursalah does not need to have come to us from the Salaf. People, including those who object to Mawlid, have always used permissible things to facilitate good deeds and acts of worship — even if those permissible things were not found among the Salaf themselves.

If someone told those who object to Mawlid:

Minarets (for the adhān) and miḥrābs (for imāms) are forms of bid`ah. If they were any good, we would have precedents for them from the Prophet ﷺ and his Companions!

then what would they say in response to this?

Those who require that a maṣlaḥah mursalah be reported from the Salaf in order to be valid have innovated in the religion, opposed scholarly consensus, and fallen into self-contradiction.

Fourth Objection: This entails resemblance (tashabbuh) of the disbelievers, as they celebrate the birthday of `Isā, peace be upon him.

Response: Not every kind of “resemblance” is ḥarām, as we have repeatedly explained. The Prophet ﷺ said: “Differ from the Jews. They do not perform prayer in their leather socks (khuffs) or sandals.”³ Yet there is consensus that praying barefoot is valid and not prohibited.

Furthermore, the Prophet ﷺ ordered us to fast on `Āshūrā’ in gratitude to Allāh for saving Mūsā — peace be upon him — from Pharaoh on that day. The Prophet ﷺ said: “We have more right to Mūsā than they do.”⁴He did not say: “In order to differ from them, we will not fast and will not show gratitude.” Rather, our gratitude is made evident through fasting in order to challenge them, because we have a greater right to Mūsā than [disbelievers] do.

If resembling them does not prevent us from thanking Allāh for saving “their” prophet, peace be upon him, then why should an imagined resemblance prevent us from showing happiness and gratitude for the birth of our Prophet ﷺ? In fact, celebrating our Prophet ﷺ is one of the greatest ways in which we can distinguish ourselves from the disbelievers. Few distinctions could be greater than this given that they do not believe in him ﷺ.

Fifth Objection: Do not open the door to evil or fitnah. Mawlid is ḥarām because it is a door to excess and to shirkī practices.

Response: Blocking the door to evil is accomplished by opening the door to good. The conclusion that I have provided opens a door to good and clarifies errors. This is the proper way of blocking the means to evil (sadd al-dharā’i`). Forbidding permissible things under the pretext of “blocking the means to evil” is not the proper way. Just as we block the means to exaggeration about the Prophet ﷺ, we must also block the means to prohibiting lawful things on the basis of excess and extremism.

In any case, the point is that innovated Mawlids are still being held. Those that contain excesses, free-mixing of the genders, and other vices continue to exist. This position serves to explain the danger of these gatherings and their contradiction of the Sharī`ah just as it explains the valid way of celebrating the Prophet’s birth ﷺ.

Sixth Objection: There are statements from scholars declaring Mawlid a form of bid`ah and censuring it.

Response: There are far more statements from scholars who have permitted it with certain conditions. The ijtihād of one scholar is not rebutted with the ijtihād of another scholar. The authority that we refer back to is evidence:

فَإِنْ تَنَازَعْتُمْ فِي شَيْءٍ فَرُدُّوهُ إِلَى اللَّهِ وَالرَّسُولِ إِنْ كُنْتُمْ تُؤْمِنُونَ بِاللَّهِ وَالْيَوْمِ الْآخِرِ ۚ ذَٰلِكَ خَيْرٌ وَأَحْسَنُ تَأْوِيلًا

If you differ in anything, then refer it to Allāh and the Messenger if you really believe in Allāh and the Last Day. That is best and the fairest resolution.

Qur’ān, Al-Nisā’ 59

Finally, I explained in my previous post that I respect the view of those who prohibit Mawlid altogether — provided that they also respect the position of those who allow it conditionally. If they censure this opposing position, then their stance is itself worthy of rebuke: they will have opposed the conclusive scholarly consensus that there can be no censure in issues of valid ijtihād.

Originally published 11 Rabī`al-Awwal 1434 / 23 January 2013.
  1. A maṣlaḥah mursalah is “some benefit that has neither been affirmed nor negated by a specific text, but that is consistent with the objectives of the Sharī`ah as supported by a comprehensive reading of the corpus of sacred texts.” For more information, see “The Relationship Between Bid`ah and Maṣlaḥah Mursalah”.
  2. See Sh. Ibn `Uthaymīn’s reminder of the Battle of Badr here – English translation on p. 51 here (PDF).
  3. Reported by Abū Dāwud and others.
  4. Reported by Al-Bukhārī and others.

Trending

Latest posts