The ruler that almost made Ethiopia a Muslim state

Adaawe

Xoog iyo Xiniyo #NGM enforcer
If wasn't for the Portuguese help for their Christian ally. Ethiopia would be a Muslim country today. The Muslims controlled Ethiopia for 14 years under Somali control. And they say they wasn't conquered! Even Haile Selassie in his autobiography, vividly describes the legacy of the Futuh Al Habesh (Conquest of Ethiopia) on the Abyssinian highlanders to this day as you'll see in the video.

At the 4:00 minute mark, he talks about the Battle of Shimbra Kure, where a numerically superior Ethiopian forces where defeated by the Adal Sultanate forces. This is because of the Somali archers, namely the Marehan, Yabare, and the Gerri archers, the Imam was able to defeat the numerical superior Ethiopian Army that consisted of 16,000 cavalry and more than 200,000 infantry.

Richard Pankhurst mentions in 'An Introduction to the Economic History of Ethiopia, from Early Times to 1800' :

On 7 or 9 March 1529, at the great battle of ShemberaKure the first decisive clash of arms in Shoa, Arab-Faqih estimated the Muslim army at 560 horse and 12,000 foot-soldiers and that of the Emperor at 16,000 cavalry and more than 200,000 infantry; Ethiopian accounts, on the other hand, put the invading forces at 300 horse and very few foot and their own at over 3,000 horse and 'innumerable' foot-men. Whatever the exact numbers may have been Gran was completely victorious, his chronicler putting the casualties at 5,000 Muslims and 10,000 Christians. An interesting feature of this and subsequent battles was the use of archers on both sides: Gran was supported by Somali archers of the Marehan, Yiberri and Gerri tribes, as well as by a number of Arabs, while the Emperor's army included in its ranks archers from Tigre and Agame, as well as about 3,000 men of the Maya or El Maya tribe who used poisoned arrows.

MarrehanArchers.jpg

:deadpeter:

Some things don't change in history huh? @Removed @tyrannicalmanager

:russ:

Last edited:

MI

Ted Kaczynski respecter
Haven’t even watched my video and I know who it’s about. My father can talk forever about how Lij Iyasu got robbed

tyrannicalmanager

pseudo-intellectual
no wonders habesha are keen to distort history just hide L. i had this 1 habesha guy claimed darood were harari that asimalated(i wonder by who?:mjlaugh:) this behavior was common by habesha, the early 20th century emperor lyasu asked ogaden elders if sayid had solomonic blood.

Last edited:

Marshall D Abdi

Know you’re place peasant
Hol
no wonders habesha are keen to distort history just hide L. i had this 1 habesha guy claimed darood were harari that asimalated(i wonder by who?:mjlaugh:) this behavior was common by habesha, the early 20th century emperor lyasu asked ogaden elders if sayid had solomonic blood.
hold up what what was would happen then if he said yes or no

tyrannicalmanager

pseudo-intellectual
Hol

hold up what what was would happen then if he said yes or no
probably nothing because lyasu was a muslim friendly emperor which ethiopia church hated and they ousted him because. he wanted sayid to become the king ogaden region under ethiopian sovereignty, which sayid would probably refuse seening like did with offer to become king of all somali teritory if he acepted british rule. sadly i can't source these my statements because i forgotten them and im too lazy to find them again.

Marshall D Abdi

Know you’re place peasant
probably nothing because lyasu was a muslim friendly emperor which ethiopia church hated and they ousted him because. he wanted sayid to become the king ogaden region under ethiopian sovereignty, which sayid would probably refuse seening like did with offer to become king of all somali teritory if he acepted british rule. sadly i can't source these my statements because i forgotten them and im too lazy to find them again.
Wallahi he accepted to become king of somali regions thus we woulnt have fallen so hard

kickz

Engineer of Qandala
SIYAASI
VIP
Now they got a Muslim leader on the down low with Ahmed, which is probably why he gave all the high profile positions like Speaker of the House and Finance Minister to Somalis

Trending