The rise of Arab atheism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Few threads of Somali atheists were lately posted here and I let it slide and didn't comment on it because of the month of Ramadan, now I posted this article because it encapsulate the reasons why I and many (not all) other Somalis have left Islam. Enjoy reading it.

The rise of Arab atheism.

Across the Middle East, governments are cracking down on non-belief. But Arab atheists are becoming more visible.

….Arab atheists are becoming more visible, largely due to social media. There is also a perception that their numbers are growing. In 2012 a poll by WIN/Gallup International that looked at religion in 57 countries caused particular alarm in

Saudi Arabia, which, as the birthplace of Islam, claims to be the holiest of the Arab countries. Of those interviewed there, 19 per cent said they were not religious and 5 per cent described themselves as convinced atheists.

Read the rest here;

https://newhumanist.org.uk/articles/4898/the-rise-of-arab-atheism

More people are joining Islam than leaving it we are winning sxb:fittytousand:

@government

First, read the article and secondly, I have no problems with people converting to any religion they decide to join. Lastly, what happens to those who converted to Islam as years pass by and they come to the conclusion that they made a mistake and shouldn't have converted to Islam? Will they be punished?

AIOPZ

Pan-Islamist
Few threads of Somali atheists were lately posted here and I let it slide and didn't comment on it because of the month of Ramadan, now I posted this article because it encapsulate the reasons why I and many (not all) other Somalis have left Islam. Enjoy reading it.

The rise of Arab atheism.

Across the Middle East, governments are cracking down on non-belief. But Arab atheists are becoming more visible.

….Arab atheists are becoming more visible, largely due to social media. There is also a perception that their numbers are growing. In 2012 a poll by WIN/Gallup International that looked at religion in 57 countries caused particular alarm in

Saudi Arabia, which, as the birthplace of Islam, claims to be the holiest of the Arab countries. Of those interviewed there, 19 per cent said they were not religious and 5 per cent described themselves as convinced atheists.

Read the rest here;

https://newhumanist.org.uk/articles/4898/the-rise-of-arab-atheism

That percentage is still really low by international standards.

Also, in comparison with many other countries, Saudi Arabia has had little to no research done in terms of measuring religiosity.

@Lolalola

Have you read the article and heard about Phew Research Group? They found out that 19% of Saudis to have answered as irreligious and 5% as hardcore atheists.

What happens to converts if they leave Islam in a Muslim country? We both know what happens to them, but can you state for others here please? Free to join but no freedom to leave, like that song hotel California. Isn’t it?

AIOPZ

Pan-Islamist
@Lolalola

Have you read the article and heard about Phew Research Group? They found out that 19% of Saudis to have answered as irreligious and 5% as hardcore atheists.

What happens to converts if they leave Islam in a Muslim country? We both know what happens to them, but can you state for others here please? Free to join but no freedom to leave, like that song hotel California. Isn’t it?

Yes, I have looked it up. Islam is the only true path of life; leaving it is committing suicide (spiritually).

The punishment of apostasy is very clearly stated in the Sunnah and abided by in the Saudi Sharia. I hope those individuals fix themselves up before they're caught.

Tukraq

VIP
atheism just flat out dosent make sense especially when looking at the ontological argument, a supreme being defiantly exists, due to the cosmological argument its necessary for their to be an uncaused supreme being therefore atheism(not to be confused with agnosticism) is pretty much illogical

mrlog

VIP
@government

First, read the article and secondly, I have no problems with people converting to any religion they decide to join. Lastly, what happens to those who converted to Islam as years pass by and they come to the conclusion that they made a mistake and shouldn't have converted to Islam? Will they be punished?

Adeer as long as they don’t advocate for others to leave Islam then they are fine.

Ninyo facaa like @Armadillo ’s eedo Ayaan Hersi made millions hating on Islam.
Adigu u’re struggling in the outbacks and not milking ur new status
Sida isku dhaan, @Knowles can be ur publicist
Lately her English vocab has been immaculate

You've seen how the react to an exposed ankle , now imagine a naked woman Standing before them
Loool i heard a story about laabo naago cadan in bikinis in jeddah in a pool how niman arab went wild on them and after they were done they got a pat on the back and were told to clean the filth of the two naago off of themselfs

Yes, I have looked it up. Islam is the only true path of life; leaving it is committing suicide (spiritually).

The punishment of apostasy is very clearly stated in the Sunnah and abided by in the Saudi Sharia. I hope those individuals fix themselves up before they're caught.

@Lolalola

Let’s be clear, that punishment of apostasy includes a person who became briefly a Muslim and then decided it isn’t for them and checked out. You’re allowed to come in but you could never leave, no compulsion in Islam, you’ve free wiill were all lies to sign you up, a major issue of honesty and truthfulness here. It sounds like joining a gang, mafia on free will, but a major consequences if you try to leave.

AIOPZ

Pan-Islamist
@Lolalola

Let’s be clear, that punishment of apostasy includes a person who became briefly a Muslim and then decided it isn’t for them and checked out. You’re allowed to come in but you could never leave, no compulsion in Islam, you’ve free wiill were all lies to sign you up, a major issue of honesty and truthfulness here. It sounds like joining a gang, mafia on free will to join, but consequences if you try to leave.

Lol, what lies were presented to you? Of course you have free will - to join Islam and avoid Hellfire or do otherwise and meet your doomed fate in the afterlife.

Lol, what lies were presented to you? Of course you have free will - to join Islam and avoid Hellfire or do otherwise and meet your doomed fate in the afterlife.

@Lolalola

Sxb, the discussion is about conversion and let’s stick with converts to Islam. I have been asked this very same question by a couple Anglo Aussies who were very much interested in converting to Islam and settle in a Muslim country. I told them once you convert there is no way out if you find out that Islam is not for you and want to leave because once you convert, the doors will be locked behind you. They were flabbergasted and promised me to investigate it further. Next time I saw them, their heads were shaven off, wearing orange and red ropes and were drumming in the city centre. They became Hari Krishna. I asked them, why the switch? They said, you were right, one can join Islam but never leave it and not what we were told. Isn’t it incumbent on imams to let these people know and have all the information required before they convert to Islam? In the western world more than 7/10 of Muslim converts leave the religion after 3 years. No one can touch them, but what would’ve happened to them if they were in a Muslim country like these two Aussie couple? Dead. It sounds like joining the mafia to those who are on the side of the fence. Where is the free will and no compulsion in Islam when you lose your life in leaving the religion? If Allah guides and misguides people as he says in the Koran many times, why will Muslims kill someone who is misguided by him? Was that a lie and are the numbers of Muslims more important to Muslims just to keep in the fold someone who isn’t interested being a Muslim because h/she will be killed if they decide to leave? It is evident that the threat of being killed guides one to survive and stay within the fold of Islam and not what it’s claimed in the Koran that god guides and misguides people.

@Lolalola

Sxb, the discussion is about conversion and let’s stick with converts to Islam. I have been asked this very same question by a couple Anglo Aussies who were very much interested in converting to Islam and settle in a Muslim country. I told them once you convert there is no way out if you find out that Islam is not for you and want to leave because once you convert, the doors will be locked behind you. They were flabbergasted and promised me to investigate it further. Next time I saw them, their heads were shaven off, wearing orange and red ropes and were drumming in the city centre. They became Hari Krishna. I asked them, why the switch? They said, you were right, one can join Islam but never leave it and not what we were told. Isn’t it incumbent on imams to let these people know and have all the information required before they convert to Islam? In the western world more than 7/10 of Muslim converts leave the religion after 3 years. No one can touch them, but what would’ve happened to them if they were in a Muslim country like these two Aussie couple? Dead. It sounds like joining the mafia to those who are on the side of the fence. Where is the free will and no compulsion in Islam when you lose your life in leaving the religion? If Allah guides and misguides people as he says in the Koran many times, why will Muslims kill someone who is misguided by him? Was that a lie and are the numbers of Muslims more important to Muslims just to keep in the fold someone who isn’t interested being a Muslim because h/she will be killed if they decide to leave? It is evident that the threat of being killed guides one to survive and stay within the fold of Islam and not what it’s claimed in the Koran that god guides and misguides people.
Good question there..
Unfortunately my knowledge on Islam is not sufficient enough to give you a good answer. Have you tried to seek knowledgeable religious people who can answer your questions sxb.. I don't think we on Sspot have enough knowledge to answer these kind of questions.. Most Somalis can read and write the Quran but we don't even understand what we are reading..

@AussieHustler

Do you think it would be possible for you to regain your lost faith in Islam.. If you had all or most of you're questions answered in a logical manner that made sense to you? The problem with us Somalis is, you can get excluded shunned for questioning some things in Islam.. You're just supposed to blindly follow everything.. But in my view this is just wrong as this can push more and more people to loose faith.. If I was a religious scholar this would be something I would look into and work on.

Status
Not open for further replies.