The power of our native tongue.

Garaad diinle

 
A lot of our somalis kins men don't speak arabic and as such might have a hard time fully understanding the quran. That being said a native arabic speaker also have difficulties fully understanding the quran and need to have tafsir. What is surprising is at rear occasions somalis does not even need to speak arabic to understand some stuff in the quran and their understanding might be better the native born arabs.

In surat Muhammed it says

ويدخلهم الجنة عرفها لهم
Meaning

He enters them janah that he made known for them. عرفها لهم arafah lahum.

For a native arabic speaker arafaha lahum means he made it known for them stemming from
arafa, ya'rifo, marifa indicating knowledge.

That being said knowledge is not the actual meaning.

For better understanding let's see a hadith of the prophet ﷺ

لم يجد عرف الجنة
Meaning he will not find araf al-janah.

Araf in this hadith is translated as

لم يشم ريحها
He will not smell it. Araf meaning smell here.

back to the ayah arafah translate as

العرف ، وهو الرائحة الطيبة
Araf is a good smell or fragrant smell.

In other words in classical arabic caraf means good smell in af somali caraf means good smell.

Modern day arabic speaker don't associate caraf with smell but a somali speaker reading it as a somali word can easily understand it. It's been said that the quran include many arabized word such as dirham a greek word, dinar a roman word and firdaws a persian word. We might be a little proud to find a word in the quran that is also found in modern day af somali.

Last edited:
A lot of our somalis kins men don't speak arabic and as such might have a hard time fully understanding the quran. That being said a native arabic speaker also have difficulties fully understanding the quran and need to have tafsir. What is surprising is at rear occasions somalis does not even need to speak arabic to understand some stuff in the quran and their understanding might be better the native born arabs.

In surat Muhammed it says

ويدخلهم الجنة عرفها لهم
Meaning

He enters them janah that he made known for them. عرفها لهم arafah lahum.

For a native arabic speaker arafaha lahum means he made it known for them stemming from

For better understanding let's see a hadith of the prophet ﷺ

لم يجد عرف الجنة
Meaning he will not find araf al-janah.

Araf in this hadith is translated as

لم يشم ريحها
He will not smell it. Araf meaning smell here.

back to the ayah arafah translate as

العرف ، وهو الرائحة الطيبة
Araf is a good smell or fragrant smell.

In other words in classical arabic caraf means good smell in af somali caraf means good smell.

Modern day arabic speaker don't associate caraf with smell but a somali speaker reading it as a somali word can easily understand it. It's been said that the quran include many arabized word such as dirham a greek word, dinar a roman word and firdaws a persian word. We might be a little proud to find a word in the quran that is also found in modern day af somali.
I even read ab a Malay word in the Qur'an!

Garaad diinle

 
I even read ab a Malay word in the Qur'an!
Interesting i even recall ibn abas may allah be pleased with him named the translater of the quran who the prophet ﷺ prayed for him to understand the quran said that the quran has habashi and zinji words. Habashi since it's a semitic language but i have yet to see a zinji word.

The name of the wife of abu sufian may allah be pleased with him was hind may allah be pleased with her. The wolrd was more connected than we gave it credit. More evidence of islam international nature

One other interesting fact about similaritys between classical arabic in the quran or the hadith and modern day somali is that both uses seasons to measure a year so in classical arabic we have سبعين خريفا meaning 70 autumn and in somali it would be 70 gu'. Gu' also used in many other cushitic languages to.

Some words are like that, Fir Caawn is also Cushitic word and understandable in Somali

Meccans Arabs never heard of that

"Which He has made known to them" i.e, they will know their dwelling places and be instinctively guided towards it. This is the explanation given in the tafsir books; tafsir qurtubi, Ibn Kathir, Tabari, Sa'di etc.

And this hadith is mentioned alongside it:

Narrated Abu Sa`id Al-Khudri:

Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) said, "The believers, after being saved from the (Hell) Fire, will be stopped at a bridge between Paradise and Hell and mutual retaliation will be established among them regarding wrongs they have committed in the world against one another. After they are cleansed and purified (through the retaliation), they will be admitted into Paradise; and by Him in Whose Hand Muhammad's soul is, everyone of them will know his dwelling in Paradise better than he knew his dwelling in this world."

[Sahih Al-Bukhari: 6535]

Last edited:

Garaad diinle

 
"Which He has made known to them" i.e, they will know their dwelling places and be instinctively guided towards it. This is the explanation given in the tafsir books; tafsir qurtubi, Ibn Kathir, Tabari, Sa'di etc.

And this hadith is mentioned alongside it:
I'm using ibn abas may allah be please with him the translator of the quran in the qurtubi tafsir.

3zriJcX.png

It would be in af somali oo u carfiyey in arabic carafaha lahum from root word caraf meaning fragrant smell or nice smell.

Last edited:
I'm using ibn abas may allah be please with him the translator of the quran in the qurtubi tafsir.

3zriJcX.png

It would be in af somali oo o carfiyey in arabic carafaha lahum from root caraf fragrant smell or nice smell.

Imam Qurtubi does mention good smell and the narration from Ibn 'Abbas (رضي الله عنهما) but after he mentions the hadith of Abu Sa`id Al-Khudri (رضي الله عنه) and gives the explanation of the people of Paradise knowing their dwelling places as this is the more common/well-known understanding of the verse.

So it isn't correct to say..

..when it is in fact the most well-known meaning/understanding of the verse.

Garaad diinle

 
Imam Qurtubi does mention good smell and the narration from Ibn 'Abbas (رضي الله عنهما) but after he mentions the hadith of Abu Sa`id Al-Khudri (رضي الله عنه) and gives the explanation of the people of Paradise knowing their dwelling places as this is the more common/well-known understanding of the verse.

So it isn't correct to say..

..when it is in fact the most well-known meaning/understanding of the verse.
Okay it might have came out the wrong way it's not that knowledge is not the right meaning but a possible meaning. I myself choose to follow the qaul of the sahabi ibn abbas may allah be please with him.

HoodHawiye

polygamist
This is nonsense. Lisan al-Arab, most widely available dictionary in the arabic speaking world, records "scent or fragrance" as a meaning of عرف
being able to speak af somali doesn't give you a leg up over a speaker of msa

Garaad diinle

 
This is nonsense. Lisan al-Arab, most widely available dictionary in the arabic speaking world, records "scent or fragrance" as a meaning of عرف
being able to speak af somali doesn't give you a leg up over a speaker of msa
Look habibi calm down i was just sharing something interesting it's not like speaking somali
will make able to do tafsir or anything. Msa is not spoken by everyone rather they speak their local arabic dialect. I personally asked some arabs if they know that caraf also means nice smell and they told me that they didn't know.

HoodHawiye

polygamist
Look habibi calm down i was just sharing something interesting it's not like speaking somali
will make able to do tafsir or anything. Msa is not spoken by everyone rather they speak their local arabic dialect. I personally asked some arabs if they know that caraf also means nice smell and they told me that they didn't know.
they are probably dummies who can't speak arabic, you asked them in english right? don't judge a language by its most disabled speakers. that would be like judging af somali by the people on this website who can't even write in wadaad

Garaad diinle

 
they are probably dummies who can't speak arabic, you asked them in english right? don't judge a language by its most disabled speakers. that would be like judging af somali by the people on this website who can't even write in wadaad
Nah i asked them in arabic they were all syrians fresh from syria with some iraqis. The arabic language is vast and rich and not everbody can boast to be an expert. Arabic language is a discipline.

HoodHawiye

polygamist
Nah i asked them in arabic they were all syrians fresh from syria with some iraqis. The arabic language is vast and rich and not everbody can boast to be an expert. Arabic language is a discipline.
I'm sorry i simply can't say i believe you. i have my source, it's lisan al arab. you can take that for what it's worth

Garaad diinle

 
I'm sorry i simply can't say i believe you. i have my source, it's lisan al arab. you can take that for what it's worth
I understand you don't have to but on the other hand how about you do a little experiment.
Go to an arab neighbor or a coworker and ask them if they associate caraf with good smell.
It's not like every arab man have a little trusty lisan al arab dictionary i their pocket. I'd be interested to see what results you'll get.

HoodHawiye

polygamist
I understand you don't have to but on the other hand how about you do a little experiment.
Go to an arab neighbor or a coworker and ask them if they associate caraf with good smell.
It's not like every arab man have a little trusty lisan al arab dictionary i their pocket. I'd be interested to see what results you'll get.
I've done so but I have no way to prove what they said to me. The dictionary is available to both of us so it's a better source, I can prove it says what I claim because you can read it online.

Garaad diinle

 
I've done so but I have no way to prove what they said to me. The dictionary is available to both of us so it's a better source, I can prove it says what I claim because you can read it online.
Your a somali speaker right? If so can you please tell me what the following words mean.

Aanee.
Afjaaq.
Dhadhab.
Fadh.
Koyto.
Raynrayn.

I'd like to see if you can get me someone that knows everyone of them. There are literaly innumerous other word i can use that guaranteed many people including somali elder know nothing about. Being a native speaker doesn't mean you'll know every word. We're not a walking talking dictionaries and much of the words found in the dictionary are not used.

HoodHawiye

polygamist
Your a somali speaker right? If so can you please tell me what the following words mean.

Aanee.
Afjaaq.
Dhadhab.
Fadh.
Koyto.
Raynrayn.

I'd like to see if you can get me someone that knows everyone of them. There are literaly innumerous other word i can use that guaranteed many people including somali elder know nothing about. Being a native speaker doesn't mean you'll know every word. We're not a walking talking dictionaries and much of the words found in the dictionary are not used.
I know but i am telling you that my arab friends do know that عرف can mean scent. I just can't prove that to you because we're discussing this online. the next best thing I can show you is the dictionary which you can read for yourself online. I think your arabic speaking friends just have exceptionally small vocabularies. an educated arab would know the various senses of that word

Garaad diinle

 
I know but i am telling you that my arab friends do know that عرف can mean scent. I just can't prove that to you because we're discussing this online. the next best thing I can show you is the dictionary which you can read for yourself online. I think your arabic speaking friends just have exceptionally small vocabularies. an educated arab would know the various senses of that word
Right at least you're a reasonable customer that could be reasoned with. okay let's just leave it
there. Though i'm curious, do you speak arabic and if so what dialect of arabic do you speak.

HoodHawiye

polygamist
Right at least you're a reasonable customer that could be reasoned with. okay let's just leave it
there. Though i'm curious, do you speak arabic and if so what dialect of arabic do you speak.
most of the guys around me speak egyptian so I've picked that up and learned some from quranic studies

Garaad diinle

 
most of the guys around me speak egyptian so I've picked that up and learned some from quranic studies
Same i also use to have an egyption dialect because of my teacher and the amount of egyption series i use to watch.

Shoutout to نور الشريف ,محمد هنيدي and عادل إمام.

Shoutout to الحاج متولي aka متولي جاكسون the king of polygamy drama. ليالي الحلمية and سلسلة عظماء الإسلام الإمام البخاري.

legendery classics. Nowadays i'm leaning towrads syrian because of friends. Went from يا جداع to يا زلمه. How proficient are you in arabic? Where would you rank yourself?

Trending