The omotic west cushitic theory

land owner

Welcome to the yaab zone
VIP
Who’s heard of this theory that the original omotic language (before merging with the isolate mota HG language) could’ve actually diverged from a west cushitic branch? :ohhh:

Apollo

VIP
It's a possibility. I'm not too familiar with linguistics, but when linguists first started constructing the Afro-Asiatic language family in the early 20th century they placed it under Cushitic. Only in the 1970s and beyond was it placed under a different category. Omotic is also one of the least academically scrutinized in the AA group. So who knows.

The Swedish wiki page on Omotic has the most info on it (use Google auto-translate to read it):

https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omotiska_språk

These are the main positions in this discussion:

(1) Omotic is a direct descendant of Proto-Afroasiatic and a co-ordinate member with Chadic, Berber, Egyptian, Semitic, and Cushitic (Fleming 1969; Bender 1971; Diakonoff 1988).

(2) Omotic represents one branch of the Cushitic family (Greenberg 1963, 1966; Lamberti 1991, 1993a; and Zaborski 1986a, 1989).

(3) Cushitic and Omotic are co-ordinate members of an older Cushitic-Omotic branch (Bender 1986).

(4) Afroasiatic branches into two: one branch is represented by Omotic alone and the second branch contains the other five sub-families (Ehret 1979; Fleming 1984).

(5) Bender (1997) proposed what he labelled ‘upside-down Afroasiatic’ classification, which emphasizes that Omotic and Chadic represent two of the earliest major splits of Afroasiatic, whereas Berber, Semitic, and Cushitic are sub-families of the third, ‘youngest and most innovative branch of Afrasian’, which he labelled as ‘Central’ (Bender 1997: 28). With regard to the position of Omotic, this classification is similar to that stated under (d).

(6) All of North Omotic (i.e. Gonga languages, the Ometo cluster, Bench, Yem, and Dizoid/Maji languages) forms a sub-branch of Cushitic. South Omotic (i.e. Aari, Banna, Hamar, Dime, and Karo) and Mao should be re-classified as part of Nilo-Saharan (Zaborski 2004).

Trending

Latest posts