The Lost Generation

Lostbox

「Immortal Sage」| Qabil-fluid
VIP
[Discussions thread]

Why are Somalis youths and even second gen adults in the 1st world country not interested in are culture/heritage?

I wrote this in one of my comments

That won't change till they are personally interested in are culture, community and people. What can we provide for them? They see disfunction, destruction and been told nearly all their life that non western culture is backwards or old school

Lostbox

VIP

Third culture kids (TCK) are individuals who are (or were as children) raised in a culture other than their parents' or the culture of their country of nationality, and also live in a different environment during a significant part of their child development years.[1] They typically are exposed to a greater volume and variety of cultural influences than those who grow up in one particular cultural setting. [2] The term applies to both adults and children, as the term "kid" refers to an individual's formative or developmental years. However, for clarification, sometimes the term adult third culture kid (ATCK) is used.

TCKs move between cultures before they have had the opportunity to fully develop their personal and cultural identity.[3] The first culture of such individuals refers to the culture of the country from which the parents originated, the second culture refers to the culture in which the family currently resides, and although not widely agreed upon by the TCK community, some sources refer to the third culture as the amalgamation of these two cultures.[4][5][6]

In the early 21st century, the number of bilingual children in the world was about the same as the number of monolingual children.[7] TCKs are often exposed to a second (or third, fourth, etc.) language while living in their host culture, being physically exposed to the environment where the native language is used in practical aspects of life. "TCKs learn some languages in schools abroad and some in their homes or in the marketplaces of a foreign land. ... Some pick up languages from the nannies in the home or from playmates in the neighborhood" (Bell-Villada et al. 23). This language immersion is why TCKs are often bilingual, and sometimes even multilingual.[1]

Octavian

Hmm
VIP
somalia is always protartit as a shit on socials and the news as such what most of us don't really have a positive view on the country unless niggas go out of their way to learn about the country and culture witch sadly most won't

I was surprised to learn that a lot of young somalis didn't know their qabiil, abtirsii, the history of somalia except the civil war and maybe they heard a little bit about the dervish. For the qabil, abtirsii and the tales, we can blame the parents. For the rest, you must learn it from your side. But, if at the very start you don't have a good base and a love for your culture. Nothing can change it except themselves

Lostbox

VIP
somalia is always protartit as a shit on socials and the news as such what most of us don't really have a positive view on the country unless niggas go out of their way to learn about the country and culture witch sadly most won't

I was surprised to learn that a lot of young somalis didn't know their qabiil, abtirsii, the history of somalia except the civil war and maybe they heard a little bit about the dervish. For the qabil, abtirsii and the tales, we can blame the parents. For the rest, you must learn it from your side. But, if at the very start you don't have a good base and a love for your culture. Nothing can change it except themselves

I think the biggest problem is that they have a filter of seeing everything from a western narrative.

Somalia pirate = looting goods from the west
Clan leader = war lords
and so on. No wonder they will value less a

that one tiktok with that somali girl, with the "my parents in the 50s" caption with a plantation in the back, made me think, how much somalis actually know basic somali history? its never taught and its not like their hoyo is gonna sit them down to discuss adal and all that. when you dont know about your own history and barely know about your own culture it becomes real easy to just identify yourself as madow and adopt madow culture as your own.

I think the biggest problem is that they have a filter of seeing everything from a western narrative.

Somalia pirate = looting goods from the west and so on. No wonder they will value less a

But that's a symptom of the lack of general knowledge, especially in the Americas. It's not normal than a twelve years old American of the forties talks better than a young thirty years old millennial manager. People are no longer thought to love learning and it's an epidemic that affects literally the entire westernized world. Because the kids are no longer educated to be a good men or women but rather to be a dumb citizen working so he can be a good consumer.
It's not normal than a graduate sweats 10 liters of water because he has to write an e-mail without using the automatic corrector

Octavian

Hmm
VIP
the only solution is to make somali schools and teach the young about the culture history and mold them into the idealic somali person

Its basic cultural assimilation, and Somalis are the first minority it has happened to. The next generation after this one will have an even less of a connections whats so ever, and I dont really see that as being a bad thing at all. Social media also makes it far easier to mold individuals into the larger culture of the population, really strengthens and speeds up the assimilation process.

If Somalia didnt want this to happen there should never have been a civil war obviously, but now that it has no real chance. I also dont understand why young somalis would need to know their qabils, its a really backwards system.

[Discussions thread]

Why are Somalis youths and even second gen adults in the 1st world country not interested in are culture/heritage?

I wrote this in one of my comments

That won't change till they are personally interested in are culture, community and people. What can we provide for them? They see disfunction, destruction and been told nearly all their life that non western culture is backwards or old school

There's a reason for that. Every other ethnic community has a community to lean on. There's a collective. For Somalis, there is no real community. At best, everybody relies on their laf when the going gets tough.

I don't know the solution. This is fundamentally how Somali society structures itself. To see shisheeye Somalis as enemies and to compete with them, not cooperate with them.

The best advice I can give is focus on your own household and family. Instill the values and norms that you think are important in your children, nephews and nieces.

BUT WHY US ? WHY SOMALIS HATE THEMSELVS SO MUCH

EVERY PAKI INDIAN AFGHAN ARAB PERSIAN NIGERIAN EVEN THE BLACK JAMAICANS KNOW HOW TO SPEAK THEIR MOTHER TONGUE AND CARE A LOT ABOUT THEIR CULTURE EVEN THO ALL THEIR COUNTRIES ARE SHIT HOLES I KNOW JAMAICANS DONT HAVE A LANGUAGE BUT THEY ARE SI PROUD YET SOMALI GIRLS ARE CLAIMING ANYTHING BUT SOMALIS ITS REALLY WEIRD

Basic

Passive Aggressive is the new Aggressive
VIP
BUT WHY US ? WHY SOMALIS HATE THEMSELVS SO MUCH

EVERY PAKI INDIAN AFGHAN ARAB PERSIAN NIGERIAN EVEN THE BLACK JAMAICANS KNOW HOW TO SPEAK THEIR MOTHER TONGUE AND CARE A LOT ABOUT THEIR CULTURE EVEN THO ALL THEIR COUNTRIES ARE SHIT HOLES I KNOW JAMAICANS DONT HAVE A LANGUAGE BUT THEY ARE SI PROUD YET SOMALI GIRLS ARE CLAIMING ANYTHING BUT SOMALIS ITS REALLY WEIRD
Maybe it’s like that where you are from but I can’t relate purple.

repo

Bantu Liberation Movement
VIP
There's been a civil war for 30 years, a lot of things have been lost in language, arts and music. There's not a lot of things to be proud of to be honest.

:kanyeshrug:

Blame the parents, they are taught nothing. Most don't even know their qabiil let alone abtirsi.
That’s stupid. Honestly my mum taught me everything about the Somali culture she remembers but honestly her experience and mine are completely different I’m a mixed race man with Somali and Mexican heritage who grew up in Europe. Of course I’m gonna teach my kids my cultures but since I barely speak Somali I don’t think they gonna speak Somali but that’s ok. You can’t expect us to have the same tie to Somali as our parents some of us never been there and only it from stories, how beautiful it was but that’s not the reality we grew up on. We’ve been hated for being Somali and always listening to people talk about how Somalia is a failed state that’s actually depressing and instead on fixing it our parents gave us the task to do it. Listen I love Somalia but I’m not gonna fix anything until that bullshit rivalry of Qabil is still a thing in the diaspora. Qabil was supposed to be a good thing and not a way to destroy ourselves.

The Somali Caesar

King of Sarcasm• Location: Rent free in your head
VIP
That’s a generalisation I’m a British born Somali but I’m very in touch with my culture,language,lineage etc.

Have you met other diasporas to come up to that conclusion or you’re just using the place you’re from as a reference point?

That’s a generalisation I’m a British born Somali but I’m very in touch with my culture,language,lineage etc.

Have you met other diasporas to come up to that conclusion or you’re just using the place you’re from as a reference point?
I’ve met a lot of diasporas, mostly at weddings, that, while they speak the language and know about their culture, feel more comfortable speaking English, German or Spanish than actually speak Somali. The only time I speak Somali is when I’m trying to talk to family members in Somalia and theyRe always so proud that I speak Somali, in their words “very good”.

Yonis

Puntland Youth Organiser
FKD Visionary
VIP
>"That won't change till they are personally interested in are culture"
>"are culture"
>"are"

I've seen too many dumb americans replacing the the word 'our' with 'are'.

Fix up bro It's not that hard.