The lack of somali historians is the main problem with somali studies. We need more

Som

VIP
The modern study of somali history has few sources
1)Enrico Cerulli italian expert of semitic languages and islamic studies, he authored many pieces on somali history with a focus on arabic sources. He was also the fascist governor Shoa and Harar during the italian occupation of Ethiopa.
2)I.M Lewis anthropologist from scotland, he heavily relies on Cerulli's work and is focused mainly on cultural traditions of somalis and modern history (mainly 19th-20th century) especially of Somaliland
3) Lee V. Cassanelli , he focuses also on modern history and heavily relied on Lewis and Cerulli
4)Virginia Luling, anthropologist who focused mainly on southern somalia and quotes Lewis,Cassanelli and Cerulli
Honorable mentions : Charles Guillain french explorer eho visited somalia in yhe fist half of the 19th century.
Somali studies rely on these few european scholars who are also quoted by somali scholars like M.Haji Mukhtaar and Abdurahman Baadiyow.
We need more somali scholars who can revise the works of these european researchers in order to better understand somali history. It's time we start telling our history instead on relying on foreigners.
Sada Mire is a great example of what future somali scholars should do

Villainess

smooth talk on a rainy summer evening
The youth will provide more research and dig deeper into our history inshaaAllah. We need to provide funding for new education systems and help the young Somali students to make an impact on a new page of discovery.

Hassan mahat

I karbash wahabist salafis daily.
There are people in this forum who don’t even know our culture properly, so historians are definitely needs.

There are people in this forum who don’t even know our culture properly, so historians are definitely needs.
Waryah your the last to talk about historians keep quite please
F87C08F6-57BB-48F8-B750-E8E5E7E903F0.png

Marquis

Highly Respected
VIP
OP is right and me and @SOMALI GENERAL actually talked about this before. Seems to me like Somali society and history just isn't interesting enough for Western academics who are into African history & culture. Even after the gruelling civil war and decades of political turmoil and instability, hasn't peaked the interest of Western academics. :damn: niggas like "meh."

Som

VIP
OP is right and me and @SOMALI GENERAL actually talked about this before. Seems to me like Somali society and history just isn't interesting enough for Western academics who are into African history & culture. Even after the gruelling civil war and decades of political turmoil and instability, hasn't peaked the interest of Western academics. :damn: niggas like "meh."
It's not that it isn't interesting. The main reason is that somalia is dangerous and Western scholars are even scared go to SL let alone the south

Marquis

Highly Respected
VIP
It's not that it isn't interesting. The main reason is that somalia is dangerous and Western scholars are even scared go to SL let alone the south

This is a stretch. Look at the amount of books that have been written on Darfur when there has been a literal genocidal civil war with militias armed to the teeth roaming around, far more dangerous than anywhere in Somalia. Usually if a place is as big of a mess and as dangerous as Somalia, western academica will write books explaining the cause and their historical viewpoint. That's what happened in Rwanda, Sudan, Ethiopia, etc

And it isn't like they need to do fieldwork this instance, there's plenty of British, Italian and French colonial sources to use.

QueenofKings

Kick in the door wavin the .44
There was a Somali archaeologist who discovered a cave in SL. Last time I checked on her she was working on creating a digital collection.

Som

VIP
This is a stretch. Look at the amount of books that have been written on Darfur when there has been a literal genocidal civil war with militias armed to the teeth roaming around, far more dangerous than anywhere in Somalia. Usually if a place is as big of a mess and as dangerous as Somalia, western academica will write books explaining the cause and their historical viewpoint. That's what happened in Rwanda, Sudan, Ethiopia, etc

And it isn't like they need to do fieldwork this instance, there's plenty of British, Italian and French colonial sources to use.
That's the problem. Colonial sources.
I'll give you an example. Enrico Cerulli proposed for many years that southern and central somalia was occupied by oromos untill somalis kicked them out in the 12th century. Other scholars who reviewed his work (mainly Lewis and others) dismissed this as unreliable and said oromos never left southern Ethopia untill their migrations towards the north in the 16th century. This is just an example which shows how wrong ideas can stay in history books for years
That's why we need more field work, most of somali studies is baded on interpretations of very few sources

BetterDaysAhead

#JusticeForShukriAbdi #FreeYSL
VIP
we need archaeological excavation that'll unravel more of our ancient history, unfortunately there hasn't been that many archaeological projects due to the war and chaos

BetterDaysAhead

#JusticeForShukriAbdi #FreeYSL
VIP
Other scholars who reviewed his work (mainly Lewis and others) dismissed this as unreliable and said oromos never left southern Ethopia untill their migrations towards the north in the 16th century.
can you send me a source? i wanna use it to counter these false oromo claims

Reborn
I wouldn't mind contributing to projects of this nature whether that be a Somali student studying history at a prestigious university

Yukon_Niner

Ugaas of the supreme gentleman
VIP
A discussion between a Pan-African fanatic and a psuedo-intellectual who speaks with confidence on his shitty knowledge of history

What could go wrong :icon lol: