THE ITALIAN CONNECTION: HOW ROME HELPED RUIN SOMALIA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xooshdheere

how do i use this
https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...2e4-98b6-0f0a9147cee3/?utm_term=.671e8770da13

ROME -- The agony of Somalia has its roots in the endemic political corruption of Italy. Throughout the 1980s, Italian politicians and businessmen used the country, once a colony of Italy's, as a playground for huge construction projects that either did little to help the local population or actually disrupted and damaged Somalian society.

"Italy is definitely responsible for the tribal warfare and the genocide in Somalia," says Francesco Rutelli, a congressman for the environmentalist Green Party, which has played a leading role in exposing what has become a scandal in Italy. The United States, while not deeply involved in Somalia, was well aware of what was going on. Two U.S. ambassadors to Rome, Maxwell Rabb III and Peter Secchia, relayed Washington's approval of Italian policy in the Horn of Africa in the late 1980s, according to Western diplomats and Italian officials.

Why do they even bother bringing this up now. They have a habit of talking about their crimea 50years later.

RasCanjero-

Self imposed exile
Worst crime by the Italians was introducing us to spaghetti and pasta.

Other than that they helped us to quickly outperform other African countries.

Such a shame we pushed them all out because of Siad Barre's nationalisation policies.

Xooshdheere

how do i use this

Such a shame we pushed them all out because of Siad Barre's nationalisation policies.
eRe8nFS.png

You're praising people who colonised our land , who our ancestors fought against.:vqbuyv0: :O27GWRK:

They didn't help us with shit, Italians were some of the most corrupt european colonizers. Somalis outperformed other countries with our own determination, please don't give that achievement due to the help of the Italians. And you're ashamed of them being pushed out :mindblown:

I wasn't expecting this from you:gucciwhat:

Xooshdheere

how do i use this
You're praising people who colonised our land , who our ancestors fought against.:vqbuyv0: :O27GWRK:

They didn't help us with shit, Italians were some of the most corrupt european colonizers. Somalis outperformed other countries with our own determination, please don't give that achievement due to the help of the Italians. And you're ashamed of them being pushed out :mindblown:

He's talking about the infrastructure.

He's talking about the infrastructure.
That infrastructure was to exploit the lands they were occupying and not because of their kindness in wanting to help Somalis.

The infrastructure was also some of the least in Africa due to the high level of Italian corruption. They taxed the people, taken the resources to enrich themselves and used some of it to build a few km of road, directly from the farms to the port, for export to Europe.

The infrastructure they built is abysmal and incomparable to neighboring Kenya.

Last edited:

RasCanjero-

Self imposed exile

All developed nations learned from previously successful civilisations.

If we can't take the good with the bad and use that to evolve then we won't be able to adapt and prosper.

The Italians conquered Somalia but they've been conquered a thousands times themselves before.

The reason why they were able to beat us was because they learned from those that beat them before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending