The inevitable schism between the Somali diaspora and the homeland

Status
Not open for further replies.

repo

Bantu Liberation Movement
VIP
This generation of ours is probably the last that will care about Somalia. The truth is many of us will not go back even if you claim you intend to because there's nothing to go back to. So is it farfetched to say that the educated class of this generation is Somalia's last hope?

kickz

Engineer of Qandala
SIYAASI
VIP
I can't imagine not wanting to go back, unless you are a gaal or something:gucciwhat:

Thats the one place on the planet where we are not immigrants, or outsiders.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

kaluumayste

Take the Poo to the loo
This generation of ours is probably the last that will care about Somalia. The truth is many of us will not go back even if you claim you intend to because there's nothing to go back to. So is it farfetched to say that the educated class of this generation is Somalia's last hope?

Are you assuming the generation who are born and living in Somalia don't care about Somalia ?

madaxweyne

madaxweyne
VIP
We choose our own path it's nothing to return to just tribal criminal ghettos going to war with one another

Not something I want to return and yes am talking about somaliland puntland war

repo

Bantu Liberation Movement
VIP
Are you assuming the generation who are born and living in Somalia don't care about Somalia ?
They will not care enough to go back there and live permanently. This whole "I'm going back there to create a business and live on a farm" is childs talk it's the world's failed state. I think a lot of you take for granted what we have here in the West that even the smallest things will bother you wants you return home but no one is willing to admit it.

Tukraq

VIP
They will not care enough to go back there and live permanently. This whole "I'm going back there to create a business and live on a farm" is childs talk it's the world's failed state. I think a lot of you take for granted what we have here in the West that even the smallest things will bother you wants you return home but no one is willing to admit it.
I understand in the US if your able to make it big here on some rags to riches type stuff that happens, but why be lower class citizen in other countries when you can be upper class back home, as Somalia grows so will your wealth if you invest now(buy low sell high) Somalia has a lot of potential most western countries don’t and have peaked as countries

I think most people in the diaspora don't even care right now. In uni I'd always hear about people planning to go back after they finished studying, then it was after gaining real world skills, and still no one has made a move. I'm hearing whispers about retirement, but when the time comes I wager they'll choose the NHS over Somalia. I only see guys go back to get married, but never do they stay there. For very understandable reasons of course.

On the upside, you guys need to stop this diaspora saviour complex. The diaspora does nothing for Somalia, and brings no value outside of the remittance money that mostly comes from our parents' generation. We're almost insignificant. If Somalia fixes itself, it'll be those that were born and raised there that fix it.

kickz

Engineer of Qandala
SIYAASI
VIP

Of course no one wants to return if the situation is dire, but you are discounting the fact that a stable and prospering Somalia in the near future would spur a mass return.

nowadays only those who have good money come back and invest. they live like kings,many stay permanently or shuttle back and forth. if you can afford theres no better place, if struggling its not your destination for a longer stay.

The Somali spoken by the diaspora wont change as much as the language they speak back home. In a few generations if any of the diaspora still speaks Somali it will be vastly diffrent then mainland Somali. As the mainland language changes and evolves while the diaspora conservitivly keep many older phrases and tones.

Same thing happened to Faroese langue which kept a lot of old Norse tones

Also in the Italian diaspora in America who often cant understand mainland Italian today.

Apollo

VIP
The Somali spoken by the diaspora wont change as much as the language they speak back home. In a few generations if any of the diaspora still speaks Somali it will be vastly diffrent then mainland Somali. As the mainland language changes and evolves while the diaspora conservitivly keep many older phrases and tones.

By the third generation people tend to lose their original heritage language, Suugo Scientific fact (many studies on this). It has hard to maintain an obscure extremely minority language.

Basra

LOVE is a product of Doqoniimo mixed with lust
Let Them Eat Cake
VIP

The only thing spectacular about your thread is your thread title. The thread content is xaar if not obvious

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending